Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Finally I have Dwarf Fortress going over 700fps  (Read 7853 times)

K.I.L.E.R

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finally I have Dwarf Fortress going over 700fps
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:51:26 am »

With my new Intel Sandy Bridge - E 3930K @ 4.6GHz, I really am going to try an upper limit later on. Basically all the work, commands I issue, that the Dwarves do gets done almost instantly. It is absolutely amazing playing the game with no wait time. Keep in mind the map size is 3x3 and max Dwarf population is 80.

Now if only the game were multi-threaded. :D

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finally I have Dwarf Fortress going over 700fps
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:54:34 am »

How is that speed even playable?

K.I.L.E.R

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:18:45 am »

Simple. I put down my designations and shit while the game is paused and I let it run until things get done, pause and repeat.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:21:49 am »

I do that too... at 30 FPS. What's the point of having it run so fast if you just keep the game paused all the time?

K.I.L.E.R

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:24:40 am »

When I pause the game I think. I set up a huge amount of orders per unit of pause so a lot gets done.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:26:16 am »

Hehehe, I just tried a new embark on a 4x4. I was getting a fps of about 1650 (only 7 dwarves here, of course, temp and weather off). The cats were zipping around and leaving a carpet of purple 2s everywhere and dwarves got tired and went to sleep after a few seconds. And the badgers dismembered everyone before I could react  :D.

This was on an i7-2600k @ 4.7 GHz

fake edit: and 2500 fps in a frozen wasteland. I didn't actually measure, but I think I got the first migrant wave (late summer) in about one minute. :D

Totally unplayable, but still fun.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:43:22 am »

Hehehe, I just tried a new embark on a 4x4. I was getting a fps of about 1650 (only 7 dwarves here, of course, temp and weather off). The cats were zipping around and leaving a carpet of purple 2s everywhere and dwarves got tired and went to sleep after a few seconds. And the badgers dismembered everyone before I could react  :D.

This was on an i7-2600k @ 4.7 GHz

fake edit: and 2500 fps in a frozen wasteland. I didn't actually measure, but I think I got the first migrant wave (late summer) in about one minute. :D

Totally unplayable, but still fun.

Fuck me with a rusty chainsaw, how long do ingame years last for you?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 06:33:21 am »

On a different embark (about 2100 fps at the start) it took just over 4 minutes to get to spring again. I was down to 1800 fps, up to 22 dwarves, and wondering if everyone would die of thirst since the 200 units of booze I embarked with ran out. Of course, that's with everyone sitting there doing nothing.

I really wonder how well the (still in development) ivy bridge chips would do with this game.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:45:48 am by Olith McHuman »

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 09:30:43 am »

Son, I have a 3,4 GHz Quad processor. How in the loving god are you getting an FPS as high as that? Did you turn off temperature and weather? Change the render type?

I NEED TO KNOW YOUR SECRETS.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 11:01:43 am »

I tend to average around 500ish on a 4x4 embark with the starting 7. On a simple 2x2 embark, even with a running river, I was able to push my FPS all of the way up to 5000 FPS. Not that I would ever really play like that, but it does help long time tests (multi-year plants, strange mood things, etc.) take a lot less time to get done when a season takes less then a minute to play through.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »

Son, I have a 3,4 GHz Quad processor. How in the loving god are you getting an FPS as high as that? Did you turn off temperature and weather? Change the render type?

I NEED TO KNOW YOUR SECRETS.

Yah, no temp, no weather. Also, I overclocked the cpu (3.8 GHz is the stock turbo speed, I bumped that up to 4.7 GHz). And this is a very new custom built system (as in I bought the individual parts and put them together). The ram is running at 1600 MHz and I dropped the command rate from 2 to 1.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 08:22:04 pm »

With my i5 at 1.7-3.2 GHz (I'm not sure if it really does overclock itself while I play, but oh well :P), I get 1000 FPS in the first few months of a fort easy,

Then come the migrants...

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 09:35:10 pm »

Roughly half a million frames pass in four minutes for you. How many frames are in a year again? (On phone, cannot check)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 11:13:41 pm »

Heh - yeah with a halved-core overclocked i7 I can push 3000-ish on a small embark with no major weather/temperature anomalies...

But I limit FPS to 100, so it doesn't really matter.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 01:11:07 am »

And this is a very new custom built system (as in I bought the individual parts and put them together).
Please post a parts list and the exact steps to how to make DF act exactly as it does on this system.

I too would like my game years to pass by within a matter of minutes.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5