Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Turret help needed.  (Read 3951 times)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turret help needed.
« on: November 28, 2011, 01:13:56 am »

Is it possible to create a turret by making a 1x1 area and surround it by fortifications and pitting an animal that has a breath attack? Will it be able to use it's breath attack and spot ambushers if it has no pathing to the target (It will be on the same z-level)?

If it does not, is there a way to make it work?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Turret help needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:33:47 am »

Never tried it myself, but I've read that breath attacks only ever get used againts things that the attacker can path to.  Firing through fortifications works though, I'm pretty sure.

The answer is to make your turret design so that you can drop in a victim next to your attacker in the direction you want to shoot.  Figuring that out is the tough part. :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:18:08 am »

You could use an unlocked but tightly closed (not pet-passable) door to provide a path that's open for the pathing algorythm but closed for the *tame* dragon. Works for Giant Cave Spiders.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:22:22 am »

You could use an unlocked but tightly closed (not pet-passable) door to provide a path that's open for the pathing algorythm but closed for the *tame* dragon. Works for Giant Cave Spiders.

That's my last option. Since some invaders are able to open doors, or destroy them. Unless someone is able to mod an immobile creature.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:23:34 am »

Have it path into the fort. That way attackers can't get in.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:40:09 am »

Have it path into the fort. That way attackers can't get in.

Would it be possible if that path uses a different z level, like using stairs? I prefer to set up pill boxes outside my fort instead of just making them as an extension of my walls.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:45:56 am »

With creatures that are not 2 building destroyers it is really jusr as simple as keeping them behind a tightly-closed door.
Invaders pathing to the door to smash it should not be a problem, because you can block the path with bridges or hatches when they get too close (hatches are indestructible from below).
Basically, preventing the turret creature from escaping and preventing the invaders from getting to it are different problems and they can be solved separately.

With dragons it's much more difficult, because you'd have to design a way to keep them confined behind fortifications while always having a valid path outside.

Also, i believe adding [IMMOBILE_LAND] tag would prevent any creature from moving on land at all.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 06:04:46 am »

With creatures that are not 2 building destroyers it is really jusr as simple as keeping them behind a tightly-closed door.
Invaders pathing to the door to smash it should not be a problem, because you can block the path with bridges or hatches when they get too close (hatches are indestructible from below).
Basically, preventing the turret creature from escaping and preventing the invaders from getting to it are different problems and they can be solved separately.

With dragons it's much more difficult, because you'd have to design a way to keep them confined behind fortifications while always having a valid path outside.

Also, i believe adding [IMMOBILE_LAND] tag would prevent any creature from moving on land at all.

Thank you about the bridge/hatch trick, but I don't get what you meant about hatches being indestructible from below. How do you accomplish that>

[IMMOBILE_LAND] tag doesn't work unless it's used concurrently with [AQUATIC]. That tag makes it suffocate above land, and if you add the [NO_BREATH] tag, it basically cancels out the [AQUATIC] tag which in turn makes [IMMOBILE_LAND] useless. (Been a while since I used those tags, but from what I can remember it's true.)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 07:24:46 am »

about hatches - the thing is that noone can destroy the hatch cover from the z-level below it. That's due to pathing issues or something like that I suppose. Thus, the hatche covers can be used to confine building destroyers.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 07:37:52 am »

about hatches - the thing is that noone can destroy the hatch cover from the z-level below it. That's due to pathing issues or something like that I suppose. Thus, the hatche covers can be used to confine building destroyers.

I'm sorry, I still don't get it. So you have to dig down and put a hatch on the bottom layer?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 08:06:13 am »

if a building destroyer stands on an upward staircase, and directly above it there is a down staircase and a closed hatch cover, then it can't destroy the hatch. I think that's how it works.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 08:11:10 am »

It needs to be locked, however. Otherwise they'll just use it as they'd use a door.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 08:12:55 am »

if a building destroyer stands on an upward staircase, and directly above it there is a down staircase and a closed hatch cover, then it can't destroy the hatch. I think that's how it works.

Ohh! I understand. But would a Gobbo, with the tags that lets them open locked doors (forgot what it was called) would they still be able to open the hatches?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 11:12:10 am »

Ohh! I understand. But would a Gobbo, with the tags that lets them open locked doors (forgot what it was called) would they still be able to open the hatches?

Gobs don't have those tags. If they did however, they'd be able to bypass the door I believe.
On the other hand, lockpicking tags don't allow to bypass door controlled by mechanisms.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 11:26:45 am »

Alright, thanks for all the help. I'm trying all the things you said on my new fort.

Thanks again!
Pages: [1] 2