Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: D6 Space RPG using MapTools  (Read 7739 times)

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
D6 Space RPG using MapTools
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:35:10 pm »

Current players for 12/10 at approximately 1PM EST - underline means confirmed time:
Dsarker
warhammer651
adwarf
Fortis
Un67
Paul
Poltifar

Only 6 players, so Polt will only be in if somebody can't make it. :(

Anybody interested in giving this a shot some time in the next couple weeks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D6_Space
http://www.rptools.net/

D6 Space is an open (ie. 100% free & legal) pen & paper RPG system from West End Games. It's basically the old D6 Star Wars RPG with all the copyrighted Star Wars stuff removed. (ie. Force powers are now Metaphysics abilities) But it's your generic SciFi/Space Opera setting. I'd prefer it to be played as an RPG - ie. role playing, you're in character when you're using your character.

The Maptools seems to be an interesting way to run a more rules heavy game. I'm learning the system now and over the next week or so in my spare time, and it looks really nice.

If you're interested, grab the PDF (free) from here (right click & save): http://www.polgarusgames.com/D6/weg51012OGL-D6-Space.pdf
And the ship supplemental if you'd like here: http://www.polgarusgames.com/D6/weg51017OGL-D6-Space-Ships.pdf

All you need to read is the intro, chapter 1, and character templates on pages 128-137.

If you're interested at all - sometime at least a week away, maybe 2, but prep time is nice, please post! :D

My available play times are generally weekdays after 5PM EST (GMT -5) and some weekdays earlier when I'm working from home, weekends almost any time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:26:33 am by KatalDT »

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: D6 Space RPG using MapTools
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:38:35 pm »

(Sould go in forums games and roleplaying)
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:47:05 pm »

I am interested.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:04:10 pm »

interested.

I suppose we'll get some info on the setting as we near the date of the actual game?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:09:53 pm by warhammer651 »
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 09:13:43 pm »

(Sould go in forums games and roleplaying)

Well, it's using a computer program (Maptools) which is a platform for gaming. And the Paranoia thread has been around for a while with no issues. I thought the "Forum Games and Roleplaying" was for PBP games? This section just says "You can discuss our other games here. Or games by other people."

As for setting, yeah. It's going to be generic space opera/scifi setting, I'll nail it down a bit more as we get closer. I would assume mostly planet-side (hopefully a couple planets to make it interesting!) possibly boarding a ship, but no player-owned ships yet - if it goes well we can delve into that later. :)

Edit: As I start to flesh things out, I'll update the main post with info and PM those who said they're interested with updates.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:49:36 pm by KatalDT »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:52:14 pm »

I am in :)

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »

I am intrigued. If a game using this system does get started up, I'd like to participate.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 04:24:38 pm »

Interested in this. Big roleplayer here, although I'm not especially experienced with maptools or tabletop games.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 04:38:07 pm »

Interested in this. Big roleplayer here, although I'm not especially experienced with maptools or tabletop games.

Same. I've done some table top stuff, and GM'd some Paranoia games with some other B12'ers (results varied, but we had fun). Most of my RP history has been freeform. I'm a big Star Wars fan, so I bought a few of the Star Wars Saga Edition rulebooks, but holy crap it's VERY complicated and the books were expensive. I'll keep them, they have some great lore and stuff in them. Nobody I know in real life has the patience or desire to learn the Saga Edition ruleset.

So I asked around a bit and found the Open D6 system, and specifically D6 Space. I like it because the rules are comparatively simple and there are very few obscure 'exceptions' to rules (SW:SE was full of them). I think that anybody who can read a chapter and has an imagination would be able to use this system efficiently.

The MapTools software looks fairly complex at first glance, but for the players it should be pretty damn simple. You log in the server, move your token around, use the chat, and there are even some "Macros" that can make rolling for your skills easier.

If you want to try D6 Space out, get the PDF and go to page 4, under "Try it out!" Read that brief section, glance over the temporary character sheet. If you need a dice roller to do the 'test run' (to get a feel for how it works), go to http://www.random.org/dice/ and use that. (I like that dice roller since it shows all your rolls, not just the added up total - consider your first dice the 'wild' dice where 1 is a failure and 6 is a crit)

So if you're really interested, and the times you can play tend to be around the times I can (5PM-10PM EST, any time during the weekends usually) then grab the PDF and read at least the first chapter. Read as much as you want, but that's all that's really needed to play. If it grabs you, great!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:41:55 pm by KatalDT »

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 04:48:00 pm »

^ Yeah, I'm looking over it and it seems to be fairly clean and transparent, so I don't think I'll have much of a problem. My earlier experience with tabletop games involved playing D&D without any references at all (seriously), so again I think I should be fine. The times should be OK, although I'm generally not going to be available between 7 and 9.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:54:36 pm by Un67 »

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 04:57:47 pm »

The times should be OK, although I'm generally not going to be available between 7 and 9.

I'd imagine the best times for most people would end up being weekends anyway, so we could include people from different timezones.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 06:18:54 pm »

weekends, or fridays after 2pm EST
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 07:13:06 pm »

Sounds like it might be fun.

I've never played the d6 system, and skimming the rule book makes it seem like it would be involve a ridiculous amount of dice being rolled - but I guess with a program like Map Tools that does all the rolling and addition for you that wouldn't be a bad thing. Seems like it would kind of get in the way on an in-person game though.

Anyway, I'm interested. I'm in GMT -6, so pretty close to your time zone. I'd be available pretty much the same times as you, most evenings on week days and most weekends pretty much any time.

How many players do you intend to run with? Any ideas on the setting?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 07:52:58 pm »

Sounds like it might be fun.

I've never played the d6 system, and skimming the rule book makes it seem like it would be involve a ridiculous amount of dice being rolled - but I guess with a program like Map Tools that does all the rolling and addition for you that wouldn't be a bad thing. Seems like it would kind of get in the way on an in-person game though.

Anyway, I'm interested. I'm in GMT -6, so pretty close to your time zone. I'd be available pretty much the same times as you, most evenings on week days and most weekends pretty much any time.

How many players do you intend to run with? Any ideas on the setting?

Yeah, I can write a macro for the rolling. It's not very complicated, but it goes like this:

If your skill is 4D+2, you roll 4 six-sided die. (4D6) Then you add 2 to the final total. However, one of the dice on EVERY roll is a 'wild' dice. If it's a 1, you get a critical failure (that 1 you rolled doesn't count, and remove the highest OTHER dice you rolled) - if it's a 6, you get a critical success (you roll your wild dice again and add that to your total - if you get a 6 on your second roll, you get to roll again... and again.. etc)

There are already some modules for D6 systems that plug into Maptools, so with some minor tweaking I'll have them going for D6 space. All I'd have to do is plug in your stat values, and then you yourself can run a skill check by clicking a button and getting a simple dialog.

As for the setting, it's going to be VERY generic space opera to start with. Think Star Wars without Jedi. Same general technology level. I'm probably going to also recommend people use the templates as starting points, and then modify them as they see fit (running it by me first). The metaphysics - not really sure on that yet. Might want to hold off on those powers the first game, but if you can convince me otherwise as we get closer... well, might run it. :D

As for number of players, I'd hope to have 3-5 players, 6 max. (Plus me)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:56:18 pm by KatalDT »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 08:12:23 pm »

Yeah, I can write a macro for the rolling. It's not very complicated, but it goes like this:

If your skill is 4D+2, you roll 4 six-sided die. (4D6) Then you add 2 to the final total. However, one of the dice on EVERY roll is a 'wild' dice. If it's a 1, you get a critical failure (that 1 you rolled doesn't count, and remove the highest OTHER dice you rolled) - if it's a 6, you get a critical success (you roll your wild dice again and add that to your total - if you get a 6 on your second roll, you get to roll again... and again.. etc)

There are already some modules for D6 systems that plug into Maptools, so with some minor tweaking I'll have them going for D6 space. All I'd have to do is plug in your stat values, and then you yourself can run a skill check by clicking a button and getting a simple dialog.

As for the setting, it's going to be VERY generic space opera to start with. Think Star Wars without Jedi. Same general technology level. I'm probably going to also recommend people use the templates as starting points, and then modify them as they see fit (running it by me first). The metaphysics - not really sure on that yet. Might want to hold off on those powers the first game, but if you can convince me otherwise as we get closer... well, might run it. :D

As for number of players, I'd hope to have 3-5 players, 6 max. (Plus me)

Yea, maptools is pretty good for that. I've used it before for other games (like the short lived Dwarf Fortress themed D&D game I played a while back, that one was fun while it lasted).

As far as setting, I mostly meant like how do the players fit into it. The basic flavor of the campaign.

Are we treasure hunters, exploring ruins on distant worlds for forgotten technologies. Or perhaps bounty hunters, hunting down criminals for fun and profit. Or maybe mercenaries, going on dangerous missions for various organizations and seeking our fortune. Or part of the official police/military force, patrolling for space pirates/alien enemies. Or space pirates, avoiding the patrols and plundering any merchant vessel we can get our hands on. Or possibly down on our luck crew of a merchant ship, trying to eke out a living doing whatever they have to in a dangerous universe. Or any other number of generic space themed clichés that might fit the setting.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: [1] 2 3 4