Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Scottish cyclops has arrived! Beware its explosive caber toss! (DF --> TF2)  (Read 2919 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Well, I've got Battlefailed in MC format, but trying to line up the coordinates with SourceCraft to get the whole thing onto one map is a nightmare. Someone needs to try Flarechannel now.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

I am tempted to try converting Failcannon... but it's probably not a good idea. Would be a nightmare to get it all to line up.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Flarechannel would be amazing.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 Flarechannel.  Nice job, btw
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

Although only small chunks of the minecraft versions of DF maps can be converted at one time, anyone even slightly competent at using Source SDK can probably merge several separately-converted parts together. It might end up being very inefficient, performance-wise... I bet that nothing's func_detail'ed.

Inefficient? Yep. Better ways? Yep. Does merging preform many calculations to begin with? Nope... at least not how I'm imagining it. I'll look into it.

I'm not talking about merging (copy-pasting each individual converted map segments' contents together, as I see it), but rather ingame performance and compiling. For instance, a 5x5 tile floor in DF would turn into a 15x15 block floor in Minecraft, and if the minecraft-to-source utility just converts per-block without optimization, the floor in Source would be made of 225 brushes (15x15 brushes), even though it should ideally be a single brush. I'm concerned that the brush/entity limit would be exceeded, or the visleaf calculations per-block would pile up and slow down ingame performance.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's always room for optimization in that respect - could scan for larger areas and apply different brushes... might be a conditional nightmare and would start to stress the generation... but heck - we're bay12'ers... we're pretty used to waiting on worldgen, right?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile

Wait... this means that one could play a game of Team Fortress 2 on pretty much every infamus fort ever. And that someone could actualy take the Boatmurdered map, make stone elephants on it vi minecraft, and than play on it as the freaken Heavy.

I think I just had a nerdgasm.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

Wait... this means that one could play a game of Team Fortress 2 on pretty much every infamus fort ever. And that someone could actualy take the Boatmurdered map, make stone elephants on it vi minecraft, and than play on it as the freaken Heavy.

I think I just had a nerdgasm.

If we can find an elephant model or make one out of brushes, you could (in Hammer) parent it to an invisible object moving around the map on a track, occasionally picking up speed when a player gets in front of it and activating a trigger_hurt, effectively creating charging elephants that wander the map. The magma cannon might be difficult due to how Source handles liquids (or more specifically, doesn't). A func_brush plus a trigger_hurt could be turned on in the river when the magma hits it, obsidianizing swimming players.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: 1 [2]