Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we use generic currency, or unique currencies?

I think we should use generic currency.
- 0 (0%)
I think we should use original currencies the way Araph listed them.
- 4 (80%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a conversion rate of 100:10:1
- 1 (20%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a simpler conversion rate (post your ideas if you chose this).
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)  (Read 17748 times)

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
Re: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2011, 06:38:36 pm »

A skittish guilible humam mage who's an expert Enchanter.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2011, 06:46:09 pm »

Blind Human Rouge. If you had looked at his picture, he is also blindfolded.

He also is leaning a little towards "Murderous Sociopathic Manic".

Edit: Elves have +1 Charisma and -1 intelligence whaaaaat.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:48:54 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2011, 06:51:37 pm »

If you consider 'Intelligent' and 'Educated' to be the same it makes sense, because they're all forest-folk. I guess Charisma works that way too, like a rustic charm or something?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2011, 08:12:23 pm »

Thats the thing. I don't consider Intelligent and Educated to be the same thing. In fact, I think they are two very different things. "The Educated man knows something because he was told. The Intelligent man knows something because he figured it out by himself."

And everyone knows all Elves are proncy pricks. Why would they get Charmisma bonuses :P?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2011, 08:27:13 pm »

True too, but frankly I'd rather take an intelligence hit then yet moar off my strength and fortitude... >.>
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2011, 08:48:29 pm »

Thats the thing. I don't consider Intelligent and Educated to be the same thing. In fact, I think they are two very different things. "The Educated man knows something because he was told. The Intelligent man knows something because he figured it out by himself."

And everyone knows all Elves are proncy pricks. Why would they get Charmisma bonuses :P?
I figured that the intelligence penalty fit because elves are to much of a bunch of egotistical dicks to be capable of actually learning things from others. And while I do differentiate between 'smart' and 'intelligent', intelligence is sort of a mash up of both in this game. It gets a little complex when you start splitting up to many different attributes; I don't think anybody would want to have to keep track of Intelligence, Smarts, Mental-Willpower, Physical-Willpower, Upper-Body Strength, Lower-Body Strength, Agility, Reflexes, Dexterity, Charisma, two Presences, Looks, and Personality. :P

Charisma is a bonus because while they're typically jerks, they can put on a show for others to get what they want. Think of a spoiled child who acts like a brat 95 percent of the time, but wheedles whatever he/she wants out of his/her parents in that other 5 percent. There's nothing charming about them, unless they want to be that way.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2011, 02:02:41 am »

I don't mean to powergame, but wouldn't a stubborn race normally have a higher willpower? They would normally outright reject the ideas of others, so wouldn't that mean that they have a strong will?

I'd think it would be:
+1 to Strength, and Willpower
-1 to Intelligence, and Charisma

I shuffled out fortitude and agility to balance it. I never intended it to be a warrior race. While magic is outlawed in city walls, they are good at it. Think of it this way, you have a city of powerhungry egomaniacal people who dabble in magic. It'd be for everyone's sanity to ban it within city walls. Would this work for you?

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2011, 04:23:23 pm »

Yeah, that'd work. They're mostly nomadic, though; I just had to change that to fit with where they live.

EDIT: Geez, ancient money is a nuisance. Still, making progress. Here's what I have; the two most common denominations of coinage in the predominantly human kingdom (named Dunaendn) are the sult and quil. The sult matches up fairly closely to the ancient Roman 'as', while the quil is worth roughly 3/4 of the ancient Roman denarius (both of the values of the Roman coins are based off what they were between (I'm pretty sure) 50 B.C. to 50 A.D. May be wrong on that, though). The actual worth of the coins are a bit roughly estimated; two sults can buy a loaf of bread in Denierilc (capitol city of Dunaendn). One seventh (1/7) of a quil can buy a loaf of bread in Denierilc. The prices of goods are subject to change in different areas; given how Denierilc is a big city, food would be more expensive, while some services would be less so.

P.S. I apologize in advance for how confusing all the different moneys and denominations are sure to be.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:57:16 pm by Araph »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2011, 01:38:19 pm »

So 14 sults = 1 Quil?

I suppose that's why most fantasy games goes for the generic gold/silver/bronze coins

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2011, 04:24:51 pm »

Technically it's 15:1, but I'm avoiding fractions until I've added in other denominations.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:07:10 pm by Araph »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2011, 02:13:32 pm »

So... 1 Tanid = 5 Quil = 15 Cersage = 75 Sult = 375 Ator?

Isn't this just a little excessive? I can understand two currencies with denotions of 10 (1g = 10s and 1T = 10Q where 1T = 3g), but 5 separate coins with varying exchange rates is really weird for a tabletop game.

EDIT: Thanks Darvi.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:24:05 pm by The Fool »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2011, 02:23:23 pm »

You got the Ators wrong. Should be 375 (75*5) Ators per Tanid.

And well, DnD 4e has 5 different kinds of coinage (well, 4 plus diamonds). But then again the most valuable ones are for interplanar purposes only so...

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2011, 02:26:58 pm »

Isn't this just a little excessive?
Ancient Rome used between five and nine denominations at different points in history. It's about the same here.

If everyone would prefer, we can use just three coins with generic names. I would like to use the extended version, but if enough people agree, we won't.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2011, 02:32:42 pm »

I wouldn't mind if there were multiple sets of coins, but multiples of 5 and 3? That is what gets me.

I wouldn't mind three sets of three coins, and then have a conversion rate between them.

1A = 10B = 100C
1D = 10E = 100F
1G = 10H = 100I
1A = 2D = 5G

This way you won't have to break one coin into 375 of another for something cheap. You'd just hop currencies between areas/kingdoms.

EDIT: Sorry I screwed up the last line. I fixed it now.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:37:08 pm by The Fool »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2011, 02:39:07 pm »

I was trying to make it be not just new names for the usual currencies in fantasy games; coins that weren't just concerted by multiples of ten were my way of doing that. I thought five and three were numbers that are easy to work with, but not used for money often.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16