Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we use generic currency, or unique currencies?

I think we should use generic currency.
- 0 (0%)
I think we should use original currencies the way Araph listed them.
- 4 (80%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a conversion rate of 100:10:1
- 1 (20%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a simpler conversion rate (post your ideas if you chose this).
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)  (Read 17745 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2011, 03:21:43 pm »

Nope, can't connect. The error is pretty vague, too.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2011, 03:26:13 pm »

Hmm. Try 192.168.1.230

EDIT: Well, looks like no session this week. Maybe next Saturday.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:37:53 pm by Araph »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2011, 04:19:27 pm »

Good thing, I guess. I overslept a bit... ^^^;
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2011, 05:47:28 pm »

Sadly I work next Saturday. Around when exactly next Saturday would this happen?

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2011, 06:20:29 pm »

Probably at the same time, though it could start a couple hours later if that'd work better.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2011, 02:13:03 am »

Technically it's 15:1, but I'm avoiding fractions until I've added in other denominations.

So... 1 Tanid = 5 Quil = 15 Cersage = 75 Sult = 375 Ator?

Isn't this just a little excessive? I can understand two currencies with denotions of 10 (1g = 10s and 1T = 10Q where 1T = 3g), but 5 separate coins with varying exchange rates is really weird for a tabletop game.

EDIT: Thanks Darvi.
If one tries this in base 15 then you get:
1 Tanid = 5 quil = 10 Cersage = 50 Sult = 250 Ator which is sort of workable if you have 4 hands and use three of them to count and one to beat the taxes out of the rabble...

You should have seen pre-decimal British money.

1 pound = 8 Half Crowns = 10 florins = 20 shillings = 40 sixpence coins = 80 threepence coins = 240 pence = 480 halfpenny coins
The British one actually makes a lot of sense if you discount halfcrowns+pounds and operate on base twelve, which makes a lot of sense if you are not used to base 10...
12/2 halfpennies = 12 pence = 4 threepence = 2 sixpence = 1 shilling = 1/2 florin.
 So a shilling is 12 pence and the mid denominations are halves, and the halfpenny is a half of a penny if you want to discriminate at that level, while a florin is just two shilling...
The higher denominations are a bit odd though, a pound is ten florins and looks as though it was added to deal with large numbers.
Half-crowns are a bit odd , but assuming that two halfcrowns make one crown, then a crown would be five shilling or sixty pence, sixty, of course, would be fifty in base twelve...
If you are trying to use all ofthem then it gets complicated, but crowns are fine by themselves and can mix with pennies if you are willing to sully yourself with such amounts. Pennies are great for lots of small transactions, once you are used to base twelve... And the only people using pounds are likely to be tourists who won't be seeing any change anyway so it doesn't matter...

I would see the Cersage<->Quil conversion being a sticking point, with wealthier folk not wanting to deal with amounts smaller than a quil and the less influential tending not to deal in quils except when making transactions that involve the bourgeois...

It would be nice to see more base twelve, base ten has the issue that ten can only be divided by 3/10 digits, where as twelve works with 5/12, a much higher proportion...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 12, 2011, 06:47:42 pm »

Technically it's 15:1, but I'm avoiding fractions until I've added in other denominations.

So... 1 Tanid = 5 Quil = 15 Cersage = 75 Sult = 375 Ator?

Isn't this just a little excessive? I can understand two currencies with denotions of 10 (1g = 10s and 1T = 10Q where 1T = 3g), but 5 separate coins with varying exchange rates is really weird for a tabletop game.

EDIT: Thanks Darvi.
If one tries this in base 15 then you get:
1 Tanid = 5 quil = 10 Cersage = 50 Sult = 250 Ator which is sort of workable if you have 4 hands and use three of them to count and one to beat the taxes out of the rabble...

You should have seen pre-decimal British money.

1 pound = 8 Half Crowns = 10 florins = 20 shillings = 40 sixpence coins = 80 threepence coins = 240 pence = 480 halfpenny coins
The British one actually makes a lot of sense if you discount halfcrowns+pounds and operate on base twelve, which makes a lot of sense if you are not used to base 10...
12/2 halfpennies = 12 pence = 4 threepence = 2 sixpence = 1 shilling = 1/2 florin.
 So a shilling is 12 pence and the mid denominations are halves, and the halfpenny is a half of a penny if you want to discriminate at that level, while a florin is just two shilling...
The higher denominations are a bit odd though, a pound is ten florins and looks as though it was added to deal with large numbers.
Half-crowns are a bit odd , but assuming that two halfcrowns make one crown, then a crown would be five shilling or sixty pence, sixty, of course, would be fifty in base twelve...
If you are trying to use all ofthem then it gets complicated, but crowns are fine by themselves and can mix with pennies if you are willing to sully yourself with such amounts. Pennies are great for lots of small transactions, once you are used to base twelve... And the only people using pounds are likely to be tourists who won't be seeing any change anyway so it doesn't matter...

I would see the Cersage<->Quil conversion being a sticking point, with wealthier folk not wanting to deal with amounts smaller than a quil and the less influential tending not to deal in quils except when making transactions that involve the bourgeois...

It would be nice to see more base twelve, base ten has the issue that ten can only be divided by 3/10 digits, where as twelve works with 5/12, a much higher proportion...
That... was a lot of information on money.

Just to double check the will of the players, I'm restarting the poll. I feel like a reasonable chunk of the people don't care for the forms of money I was planning on, so the poll will be a little more in-depth this time.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 15, 2011, 06:49:39 pm »

Double-post for alert: There's a game on Saturday. Can everyone make it? If not, it would to have a warning ahead of time.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2011, 06:52:02 pm »

What time, specifically? I think last Saturday you started it early (if my crappy calculations determining your noon as 3:00 PM for me are correct, anyway).
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 15, 2011, 07:50:46 pm »

What time, specifically? I think last Saturday you started it early (if my crappy calculations determining your noon as 3:00 PM for me are correct, anyway).
I believe I said it started at 8:00 PM GMT, and since I'm on the Pacific coast, I'm at -8 GMT. Ergo, noon for me. If you're one time zone to the east, you'd have the proper time. I'm not sure where you live, though, so I'm also not sure why I decided to type all this out when I could have just said 8:00 PM GMT...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2011, 08:37:09 pm »

I live in Kentucky, so I'm on -5 GMT, I believe.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2011, 08:50:54 pm »

I'm on GMT +10 so i wont be playing o saturday at all i'll be playing on sunday ... IN the FUUUUUUTTUUUURE!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Still Unnamed Tabletop RPG: Game on Saturday!
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2011, 08:56:01 pm »

I'm on GMT +10 so i wont be playing o saturday at all i'll be playing on sunday ... IN the FUUUUUUTTUUUURE!
*Twilight Zone theme plays*

EDIT: Grand total of two people. Gah.

Just as a warning, if we don't have enough people to play, I'll be retrying this with some new people. Anyone who would still like to play, you're welcome to just keep the character you have now.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:56:34 pm by Araph »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2011, 02:21:45 pm »

Server's up; name is TTRPG, password is Urist. Hopefully the inevitable connection problems can be ironed out in time for the game.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 17, 2011, 02:28:05 pm »

I cannot make it, my parents decided to spring a visit to family on me today, and so we are leaving imminently.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16