Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we use generic currency, or unique currencies?

I think we should use generic currency.
- 0 (0%)
I think we should use original currencies the way Araph listed them.
- 4 (80%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a conversion rate of 100:10:1
- 1 (20%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a simpler conversion rate (post your ideas if you chose this).
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)  (Read 17769 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2011, 02:27:26 pm »

Have you started on the overall setting yet, or are you waiting until the core mechanics are done?
I've made an elaborate map of the landmass the game will be set on, and I'm currently making a bunch of names with that one fantasy name generator. That thing is brilliant; you can even make it generate similar names so they sound as if they came from the same language.

I'll let work know that I need Saturday afternoons off. ;D I don't mean to rush you, but around when would this be starting?

The holidays will kill my availability for a few weeks, so I won't be able to guarantee my Saturdays until after Christmas. After that I can start booking Saturdays off.
I was planning on starting the Saturday after this coming Saturday.

I was thinking Saturdays at around 8:00 PM GMT (or noon PST). Does that time work for people?

Ugh, I hate weird time shit (in reality, anyway. WTS in webcomics is just fine :3). Figuring it out... That would be three in the afternoon for me, I think. Yeah, that should be fine. I don't think my local college has any weekend classes so I should be golden for next semester. ^^^
Yeah, weird time shit gets me miffed, too. Weird PUZZLE shit, on the other hand...

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2011, 04:09:07 pm »

That translates to 3:00 PM over on the other side of the ocean here, so I'm cool with that time.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2011, 04:37:53 pm »

I can't do this Saturday or next Saturday, but after that I'm free.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2011, 04:46:03 pm »

I relize that I kinda need to make my lore before Saturday, because most of it is kinda important if we decide to run with it. Fuuuuuck.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2011, 07:21:16 pm »

I realize that I kinda need to make my lore before Saturday, because most of it is kinda important if we decide to run with it. Fuuuuuck.
You don't have to write up that much lore for the races; that's my job. Everything has to fit together perfectly. Not only with the races, but with the entire world. As such, I'm preemptively stating that I'll do that part of creating races.

EDIT: I don't mean to rush you, but I've gotta know what you are thinking of for the races. If it doesn't get posted, I'll just make up new species on my own (not generic ones, though). If you'd prefer, you could give me a general idea of what you're thinking and I'll fill out the specifics.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:25:40 pm by Araph »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2011, 08:17:09 pm »

I was going to say how they werent races, but now that I think about it, races does kinda fit the discripion. It fits better then the idea of Elves and Dwarves, their more like Species. But none the less, these races that I was making are kinda synonymous with humans. But, I had a general idea for 7 races in the game, 6 of which would've been common accepted Variations, one would be Pure Human, and the seventh would be the dumping pile for everything else.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2011, 08:21:29 pm »

I'd prefer for the races to have more differences from humans than what might be found from culture to culture. When you say they're kinda synonymous with humans, do you mean minor feature differences and a few social changes? 'To what extent are they different from vanilla humans' would be a clearer way to couch my question.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »

Trust me. They are far from "Just a little different". Were talking "An extra pair of Arms or having Wings" different. When I say that synonymous with Humans, I mean they are generally in the same Cultural and mental status as Humans in the same area. But Pure Humans mainly run the show, because of a little thing called the "Order of the Puritan". It doesn't sound very dangerous, but considering their unoffical nickname is the "Puritan Inquisition"...

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2011, 08:57:12 pm »

Order of the Puritan
I don't mean to be rude, but I'd appreciate a lack of expectation for historical figures or organizations. I've started on the world's story already, have a plot in mind, and I feel bad if I don't include suggestions from people, so if suggestions throw a wrench into my plot, I have two options: accept the idea and try to mold the story around that difference, or ignore the idea and feel like a jerk until I forget about it. The Order of the Puritan would be potentially fitting in the social climate of the forming world, but its role would be reduced and its influence diminished. Also, there wouldn't be vanilla humans feeling superior to any of the other races any more than the others feel superior over the vanillas. As far as any species is concerned, they themselves are the original and best.

EDIT: I really need to get working on civilizations, civ leaders, and the political situation, but I can't do that unless I know what races to use. If nobody has anything to say on the matter (that is, a simple description of the races they have in mind) by tomorrow, I'm going to go with well known species. I really don't need much to work with; just type a couple of sentences on what they look like and what their mindset is tilted toward and I'll fit them into the world.

SECOND EDIT: Guess what? Social skills is what! I figured out how social skills will work: Charisma and Presence are the two attributes that govern the skills (except Detect Purpose, which uses Int). Presence has two categories, much like Knowledge () or Survival (); the categories are Calming Presence and Agitating Presence. They affect different checks in different ways. For example, the Persuasion skill is a soft skill, which means it has Charisma applied to it as a positive modifier, Calming Presence applied as a positive modifier, but Agitating Presence applied as a negative modifier. Race choice affects Presence the most (an orc would have a large penalty to Calming, but an equally large bonus to Agitating. A diplomatic elf, on the other hand, would be the opposite). Following that would be your attributes. In addition to those modifiers, your presentation and argument (as in, you, the player) will give circumstantial bonuses or penalties to the skill check. That is to say, you will not be able to Bluff a guard into thinking he's a yellow-footed rock wallaby; it would have far too large of a 'that's dumb' modifier to work.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:32:16 pm by Araph »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2011, 09:48:27 am »

Heh, well, perhaps you should hear my stuff then. Because the Order of the Puritan were extremely influencal and reaching. As I said before as well, Pure Humans are pretty much running the show, and any other races don't really have their own nations. And those that do have been pushed to the end of the world by the Puritan Inquisition's crusades.

But I need to get this shit down. So here is the lore I was planning in a Nutshell.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think the racial bonus for most of these should be some obvious (Angelics get Flight and Charisma bonus, Gordivns get Strength and Physical bonus, ect), it just comes down to if you like it or not.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:50:06 am by Johnfalcon99977 »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 03, 2011, 01:18:58 pm »

While that in itself would be a great set of races and backstory for a different campaign, it just wouldn't fit into the world I've made. And I did hear your stuff; what I was saying was parts of it that wouldn't work in this game.

... the Order of the Puritan were extremely influencal and reaching.
That is the biggest problem. A big part of the plot hinges on religious organizations not being influential.

One other problem is with the melting pot of variants that the hunted group is; what caused them to be so random? Was it magic? Did some divinity intervene in the creation of all the different species? They couldn't have just evolved that way, otherwise their traits would be roughly the same from individual to individual.

About the Deamonic, their aren't just evil spirits floating around out there. Practically no non-mortals having influenced anything in a way greater than changing odds a bit since the Age of Legends.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 03, 2011, 01:27:40 pm »

Why can't religous organizations be influential? Besides, If you think about it, there not REALLY religous. There just horribly racist and powerful.

It would also be fine if you gave a reason instead of being so vague. Maybe I can afford to make some changes. But I can't do nothing unless you tell me what the plot you had in mind first without ripping straight through the one you had planned.

Anyway, about the other things you asked.

One other problem is with the melting pot of variants that the hunted group is; what caused them to be so random? Was it magic? Did some divinity intervene in the creation of all the different species? They couldn't have just evolved that way, otherwise their traits would be roughly the same from individual to individual.

About the Deamonic, their aren't just evil spirits floating around out there. Practically no non-mortals having influenced anything in a way greater than changing odds a bit since the Age of Legends.
1. Its generally unknown. But there arent so "Different ever time" random as you seem to think. Imagine them more as like Minority Groups.

2. It was just an idea I had floating around. They don't need to be more suceptible to possession. I just thought it would explain The Fool's Character story a bit better.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 03, 2011, 03:30:24 pm »

It would also be fine if you gave a reason instead of being so vague.
Okay... backstory time!
Spoiler: History (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Religion and Racism (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Geography (click to show/hide)

Phew... Sorry if that's too vague in a few parts of the history; I'm trying to avoid actually giving away what you're going to find out in the campaign while still telling of the world's history. Hopefully that'll give you an idea of what the world is like, though.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 03, 2011, 05:01:30 pm »

This is kind of what I was waiting for. I'll start writing up my race in a few hours. I'll try and present it how D&D presents feature races (Races of the Wild, etc.) and include general things like how they live, culture, local religion, and maybe some information on how they interact with others. They'll be isolationists, so don't worry about it interfering with other religions and races.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2011, 05:06:19 pm »

Well, tell me, when did you come up with this? After or before I told you that I was going to do some lore? Hmmm?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16