Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we use generic currency, or unique currencies?

I think we should use generic currency.
- 0 (0%)
I think we should use original currencies the way Araph listed them.
- 4 (80%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a conversion rate of 100:10:1
- 1 (20%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a simpler conversion rate (post your ideas if you chose this).
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)  (Read 17776 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2011, 08:11:27 pm »

Don't worry Araph, I am not saying that their will be a huge number of random radiated Humans. What I am planning is closer to what Serious said. There are mostly 5 different "mutations" (which is a terrible word to discribe it, now that I think about it), with only a small ten percent of the human race being the horrible mix-match that you are all likley thinking. I'll go into more detail once I am atmy computer, seeing as this phone is a dick to just type all of this, let alone a textwall :P.
I wasn't just saying about a mix-and-match set of mutations; I mean I'm not having any race be related to any other race more than how we're related to other primates. If I'm making fantasy races, I'm doing it right! So to speak. That is, arbitrarily set based on a set of preconceived notions passed down from other media without any form of explanation. That's how fantasy is supposed to work, right? :P

I hope you decide to have fantasy races, even if this is just a trial run. Races add so much more flavor to the world. Here is a sketched out version of what I had in mind for my race:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's still horned, but it doesn't quite look evil.
Ah, I see what you're getting at: Voldemort with horns. That'd work perfectly for the demon race, actually.

And with that, I'm off (not actually away from the computer, of course, but off in a metaphorical sense) to save create the world!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:44 pm »

Don't worry Araph, I am not saying that their will be a huge number of random radiated Humans. What I am planning is closer to what Serious said. There are mostly 5 different "mutations" (which is a terrible word to discribe it, now that I think about it), with only a small ten percent of the human race being the horrible mix-match that you are all likley thinking. I'll go into more detail once I am atmy computer, seeing as this phone is a dick to just type all of this, let alone a textwall :P.
I wasn't just saying about a mix-and-match set of mutations; I mean I'm not having any race be related to any other race more than how we're related to other primates. If I'm making fantasy races, I'm doing it right! So to speak. That is, arbitrarily set based on a set of preconceived notions passed down from other media without any form of explanation. That's how fantasy is supposed to work, right? :P
Have I ever said before how much I HATE this mentality? I like creativeness and Innovation, and also support the creative of new fiction. Stock Fantasy races, which you sound like you want to use, are a vice sin in my book. They have been overused so much, and I hate it. I do not want you to do this, and I mean that quite seriously.

Now do you want to at least hear my ideas, or are you going to just ignore me and not even give the work I put a rather decent effort into a chance?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2011, 10:16:46 pm »

Have I ever said before how much I HATE this mentality? I like creativeness and Innovation, and also support the creative of new fiction. Stock Fantasy races, which you sound like you want to use, are a vice sin in my book. They have been overused so much, and I hate it. I do not want you to do this, and I mean that quite seriously.

Now do you want to at least hear my ideas, or are you going to just ignore me and not even give the work I put a rather decent effort into a chance?
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend.

When I say stock fantasy races, I mean using the names and appearances of the species. I am not by any stretch planning on creating a boring and creatively-sterile wasteland of vapid retellings. I apologize for accidentally disregarding your ideas; I read through your mini-blurb on the variants on humans and my mind only saw the word 'mutations'. I didn't really think my way through what was written, and just went back to what I had originally been thinking. I'd be glad to hear your ideas, and I'll do my best to not repeat what happened earlier.

The
arbitrarily set based on a set of preconceived notions passed down from other media without any form of explanation. That's how fantasy is supposed to work, right? :P
comment was just intended to be a joke. I place a lot of value on fantastical creativity, and I would never leave truly generic creatures in the game. Please bear in mind that I've put a lot of work into this, to the extent that my daily schedule is 'go to school, get home from school, respond to forum posts, work on game, go to sleep.' Already-used races are due to me trying to get everything into working order in as small of a time limit as I can, and I was trying to avoid needing to create five or so new races with distinct traits and cultures by borrowing from other works.

Finally, no, I have not ever heard you say how much you hate that particular mentality. I get why you loathe it so much, I'm trying to balance avoiding that with saving time, and I agree that the stock races are overused. I'm putting many, many hours into this thing, and the moment the core rules are done I want to make original EVERYTHING; races, monsters, classes, the whole shebang. But I need to have a semi-workable game and setting so that play-testing can start and rule fixes can be made. I just need more time.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:22:56 pm by Araph »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2011, 10:45:20 pm »

Heh. I see your point. As I said, "Mutation" was a really awful word to use, wasn't it?
I'll try and get my main ideas down some time in the future. Can't give an exact date because I know I will just end up be incredibly wrong.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2011, 10:48:04 pm »

Can't give an exact date because I know I will just end up be incredibly wrong.
Believe me, I know exactly how that is. :P

Oh! Almost forgot: is Maptool a good medium for everybody? We'll be using version b87, barring any outstanding problems with that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:49:56 pm by Araph »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2011, 10:57:30 pm »

That reminds me, when will sessions be? Cuz I kinda only have Saturdays and Fridays Afternoons open at the moment.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2011, 11:10:40 pm »

The comment was just intended to be a joke. I place a lot of value on fantastical creativity, and I would never leave truly generic creatures in the game. Please bear in mind that I've put a lot of work into this, to the extent that my daily schedule is 'go to school, get home from school, respond to forum posts, work on game, go to sleep.' Already-used races are due to me trying to get everything into working order in as small of a time limit as I can, and I was trying to avoid needing to create five or so new races with distinct traits and cultures by borrowing from other works.

If you create the world I'd be happy to help write up a few races. Would you be alright with that?

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2011, 11:17:07 pm »

Next Thursday I won't be home from 3:30 until 5:30ish, but I'm basically free through December. January I get a new college schedule and I'm not sure what it'll be yet. :\
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2011, 11:40:17 pm »

The comment was just intended to be a joke. I place a lot of value on fantastical creativity, and I would never leave truly generic creatures in the game. Please bear in mind that I've put a lot of work into this, to the extent that my daily schedule is 'go to school, get home from school, respond to forum posts, work on game, go to sleep.' Already-used races are due to me trying to get everything into working order in as small of a time limit as I can, and I was trying to avoid needing to create five or so new races with distinct traits and cultures by borrowing from other works.

If you create the world I'd be happy to help write up a few races. Would you be alright with that?

The only problem would be how they fit into the plot of the game. If you would be willing to type up a blurb on each race, I'd be happy to try to fit them into the game in the place of the generic races.

Next Thursday I won't be home from 3:30 until 5:30ish, but I'm basically free through December. January I get a new college schedule and I'm not sure what it'll be yet. :\
That reminds me, when will sessions be? Cuz I kinda only have Saturdays and Fridays Afternoons open at the moment.
I was thinking Saturdays at around 8:00 PM GMT (or noon PST). Does that time work for people?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:41:49 pm by Araph »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2011, 11:58:04 pm »

Sounds okay to me, weekends are pretty good actually. (I have no life.)
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2011, 12:02:51 am »

Yup, Saturdays sounds good to me.

The only problem would be how they fit into the plot of the game. If you would be willing to type up a blurb on each race, I'd be happy to try to fit them into the game in the place of the generic races.
Have you started on the overall setting yet, or are you waiting until the core mechanics are done?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2011, 12:09:17 am »

I'll let work know that I need Saturday afternoons off. ;D I don't mean to rush you, but around when would this be starting?

The holidays will kill my availability for a few weeks, so I won't be able to guarantee my Saturdays until after Christmas. After that I can start booking Saturdays off.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2011, 12:11:21 am »

I was thinking Saturdays at around 8:00 PM GMT (or noon PST). Does that time work for people?

Ugh, I hate weird time shit (in reality, anyway. WTS in webcomics is just fine :3). Figuring it out... That would be three in the afternoon for me, I think. Yeah, that should be fine. I don't think my local college has any weekend classes so I should be golden for next semester. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2011, 11:50:57 am »

I'm at GMT and am free most weekends, and all but Monday for evenings/afternoons generally. Can't do Morning/noon due to college. I have such a pitiful social life :'(
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16