Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Any Good painting programs?  (Read 2515 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any Good painting programs?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 02:29:23 pm »

Honestly, GIMP is only a quarter as confusing if you're used to Photoshop already when you come to it. If not, it's a terrible beast of a UI. And even if you have, it would take some getting used to, like in my case.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 02:30:27 pm »

I do adore GIMP, but yeah, it seems like although there might be an easier way to do something, you're only allowed to find out how by accident.

Ok, I managed to move the part of the image now, but now I can't draw outside a yellow rectangle. How to do deselect the image?
Select►None.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:35:09 pm by rhesusmacabre »

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 02:32:29 pm »

I do adore GIMP, but yeah, it seems like although there might be an easier way to do something, you're only allowed to find out how by accident.

Ok, I managed to move the part of the image now, but now I can't draw outside a yellow rectangle. How to do deselect the image?
Select►None.

Didn't fix it. Still can't draw.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 02:34:51 pm »

The yellow rectangle will be the layer so try Layer►Layer to Image Size.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 02:37:23 pm »

The yellow rectangle will be the layer so try Layer►Layer to Image Size.

zoomed to the entire box, but still can't draw.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 02:43:16 pm »

I'm not sure then. Screenshot?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 02:43:38 pm »

Hitty, describing in miniscule detail what's happening on a screen that random forum members can't see only goes so far. I recommend giving the GIMP manual an extensive read-through.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 03:08:02 pm »

Spoiler: By request. (click to show/hide)

I also noticed the black and white outline is still there. Can this cause problems?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 03:10:30 pm »

Well... it looks like you've got the tank and some other little square selected. You're not able to draw outside a selection, ever. Try deselecting those.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 03:14:29 pm »

You might need to 'Anchor Layer', Ctrl+H.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 03:16:20 pm »

Ah, there we go! Thanks, everyone.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 03:18:13 pm »

Your best bet might be to describe what all you are trying to accomplish and finding (or letting us find you) some tutorials that describe the features you will need to learn.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 04:34:48 pm »

Reading through this thread was agony. It was like my first two years of GIMP all over again :P

Anchor. Anchor. ANCHOR! God when I figured that out GIMP started making so much more sense. Everyone says it has a terrible UI. Personally, having used a fair amount of PS, it's just a more ghetto version. Stuff is in relatively the same places. It's just the layer management that gets confusing as hell. If you ever mess with putting text in an image, realize text is its own layer too and needs to be merged or anchored before it becomes part of the image (and isn't your active layer.) I always anchor layers instead of merging them, because merging literally adds a section of the image to the selection....so you're working with 40% of your image and have to merge the layer down (again.) Anchoring just gets it done, bam.

Always make a selection, cntrl + c, cntrl + v, M (for the move tool), move the selection, cntrl + h. Easy as pie that way. Only took me a year of reading tutorials and three dozen images before I figured it out.

Also very helpful, Edit > Invert Selection, for quickly grabbing selections against a solid background. Messing with the threshold of the selection tool can let you select sections of your image much easier as well.

People do complain a lot about GIMP, but it's given me years of returns for absolutely nothing, if you've got the moxy to learn how to make it do what you want.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:31:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 04:47:10 pm »

I actually tend to go layer-mad, with many layermodes, and only when I'm satisfied with the finished product do i make a merged COPY (in png, preferably, unless it's an anim), then i save the whole shebang as an XCF (gimp native format, which saves every aspect of the image, apart from the undo history, so it's basically a snapshot of what you were doing last). In fact, I hardly ever anchor, just click the 'new layer' button after moving or pasting a selection, and if i intend to paint over that, i create a transparent layer above them, and paint there. It's really like those sections of transparencies in an encyclopedia that show the various systems of the human body.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 04:50:47 pm »

I actually tend to go layer-mad, with many layermodes, and only when I'm satisfied with the finished product do i make a merged COPY (in png, preferably, unless it's an anim), then i save the whole shebang as an XCF

Pretty much this~
Also, sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who actually likes GIMP's interface~
Pages: 1 [2] 3