Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Any Good painting programs?  (Read 2527 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Any Good painting programs?
« on: November 27, 2011, 11:35:51 am »

I'm getting tired of using MS Paint, especially since it looks terrible unless it's stick figures. Does anyone recommend a decent painting program?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Any Good painting programs?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 11:38:25 am »

GIMP

Free with plenty of features. What more do you need?

http://www.gimp.org/
This is a blank sig.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 12:39:37 pm »

Ok, just installed GIMP, and come to a problem: How do I move part of an image I cut out instead of just the outline?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

Ok, just installed GIMP, and come to a problem: How do I move part of an image I cut out instead of just the outline?
Is this what you mean?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 12:46:44 pm »

GIMP has the most horrible interface ever. I still use it like the sheep I am, though.

Alternatives include paint.net, and... well that's all I can think of at the moment.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 12:55:04 pm »

Is this what you mean?

I tried to do this, but I believe it may have been just for cropping.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 01:02:34 pm »

GIMP has the most horrible interface ever. I still use it like the sheep I am, though.

Alternatives include paint.net, and... well that's all I can think of at the moment.
The interface is hard to learn, but it's the only one with comparable features to PS. I'd probably recommend Paint.net to those who don't need all the features though.

If you are willing to - or doing work that can be done with - vectors, Inkscape is fantastic. But then that's pretty much a different species. Better for some things (logos and similar graphic design work for sure) but you simply can't use it for most photo work.

I tried to do this, but I believe it may have been just for cropping.
It's pretty hard to tell what you are trying to do/use. I'd recommend just reading through the manual to see if that helps. You can't usually just pick it up and expect to use it.

EDIT: OK, I've just been trying this on a clean install on Win7.

Select an area.
To move the contents of that area, press alt, then ctrl. Click and drag then release ctrl (otherwise it will lock the movement to certain directions/steps).
To copy the contents of that area, press shift, then alt, then click and drag.

Note that what each combination does is stated in the status bar at the bottom of the window. It also gives you keys to try out, although it doesn't say what they each do.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:11:29 pm by palsch »

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 01:21:53 pm »

The outline you see is what I want to move, but it just keeps moving the outline itself, and not what's inside it.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 01:26:18 pm »

The outline you see is what I want to move, but it just keeps moving the outline itself, and not what's inside it.
OK, I've tried this a few times with the different select tools and it seems to be working.

Press and hold alt + ctrl. Click and hold. Release ctrl and drag to where you want.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 01:31:36 pm »

OK, I've tried this a few times with the different select tools and it seems to be working.

Press and hold alt + ctrl. Click and hold. Release ctrl and drag to where you want.

I tried that, but it is still only moving the outline.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 01:48:55 pm »

I tried that, but it is still only moving the outline.
Try shift + alt. That should copy the contents.

Alternatively just hit ctrl-x or ctrl-c to cut or copy the selection, then paste it back in with ctrl-v. That does the same thing, just the long winded way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 01:50:00 pm »

I am glad SOMEONE noticed that about GIMP... I thought it was just me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 02:05:31 pm »

I assumed that anyone on these forums must have had some exposure to DF, and as a result could cope with a nasty UI... :)
This is a blank sig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 02:08:09 pm »

I assumed that anyone on these forums must have had some exposure to DF, and as a result could cope with a nasty UI... :)

GIMP IMO has a considerably worse UI. Dwarf Fortress' problem is simply that it bulky and everything is stored in folders within folders

GIMP on the other hand includes several levels of superfluousness and would be exactly like that if those folders also included 7 digit passwords based on calculous equasions.

To the extent that I once asked how to do something in GIMP and even the people who use GIMP on a day to day basis couldn't answer.

While if I asked people how to, for example, build a road they would likely know the exact button presses required to do so.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:12:56 pm by Neonivek »

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 02:29:02 pm »

Ok, I managed to move the part of the image now, but now I can't draw outside a yellow rectangle. How to do deselect the image?
Pages: [1] 2 3