Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 187944 times)

Nijiru

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - Try the new Water Slide attraction!
« Reply #2205 on: November 29, 2012, 09:29:35 pm »

Oh, great, and I just noticed a few ghosts.  Apparently of caravan guards, or perhaps from a time before this fort existed here.  Nobody here knows them.  We don't have a record of them, so we cannot bury them appropriately.  If they become violent I may have to invoke the DFhack protocol.
Just as a heads up, as far as I remember, DFhack wasn't allowed.

The junk could be worse.  It could be hordes of cats.  :P

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: November 29, 2012, 09:51:05 pm »

Oh, great, and I just noticed a few ghosts.  Apparently of caravan guards, or perhaps from a time before this fort existed here.  Nobody here knows them.  We don't have a record of them, so we cannot bury them appropriately.  If they become violent I may have to invoke the DFhack protocol.

That's right no DFHack.  It wouldn't be Swordthunders without the dead lingering on in this terrible hellhole.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: November 29, 2012, 10:13:46 pm »

OK, no DFhack.  If one of the unghosts turns into a violent ghost though, it's going to end the fortress.

On the other hand after a full year cleaning up, especially if we manage to get a couple immigrants to help, we should be able to actually start cleaning up the outside of the fort, which might result in the collection of enough body parts to lay some of these ghosts to rest.

I'm not quite certain how we managed to get a swimming pool into the entry foyer.  I had to disassemble doors to clean it out.  I'll see what I can do about setting up a drainage system that's building destroyer safe.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: November 29, 2012, 10:22:27 pm »

I haven't mentioned the cats and puppies yet?

That's not on the top of my list of concerns at this time, the 50 or so of each wandering around isn't killing the framerate too badly, is actually prevents things from moving too quickly and gives me time to try to see what's actually happening and where bottlenecks and problems are.  I'll need to deal with the degrading goblin cages anyhow.  Right now I have most of the dogs penned in with the animal storage, which means that as the goblins break out of degrading cages they are attacked by 50 dogs.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: November 30, 2012, 07:19:50 am »

The humans ang goblins came.  The humans made it into the trade Depot in time to avoid the Goblins, and then back out again and all the way to the border with no mishap.  Quite well done on their part.  On our part, the goblins might still be out there, they might not.  Couldn't care less honestly.

Well, we now have a very nice raw adamantine earring.  There are better uses for the stuff, I'm sure, but Kosoth apparently really had to have it, so be it.  The most unfortunate thing is that apparently he remembers nothing about making it.

The countess is apparently enjoying her new job of melting down a whole bunch of silver arrows and bolts, and using the copper we have laying around to turn them into sterling silver bars.  It also keeps her down in the bottom of the keep where she need not concern herself with the possessions of other dwarves.

Well, a caravan from the mountainhome has arrived.  Unfortunately Vehudur apparently at that very moment became the target of a malicious spirit who sent him into a tantrum.  I've verified that the spirit has a resting place.  Hopefully it will find it's way there soonest.  Since the countess is feeling a lot happier, I might ask her to help with the burial duties as more dwarven remains are discovered.

The dwarven mountainhome caravan has come and left.  They were polite but I think they were utterly amazed at the huge amounts of worthless junk we had stored here.  I do not think they expected to trade metal armor and weapons, bars, and jewels, for a bunch of wooden armor and the clothes of hundreds of dead dwarves.

Since the dwarvenhome guards indicated that they had seen no goblins or dangerous beasts when entering, as soon as we had bought everything from them of interest, I designated everyone to burial duty for a while.  We recovered many pieces of dwarves, and laid a few ghosts to rest.

After the dwarven caravan left, I sealed the outer doors again, and the cleanup continues.  The countess has mandated that we, well, I'll let you guess.  A hint, it has something to do with sterling silver.  She is melting the metals herself and preparing to make more sterling silver bars.

On the 17th of obsidian, we had a mysterious failure of one of the cistern doors.  The cistern was not full, in fact it was only 7 units deep total, and yet the failure occurred at that level.  The cistern drains into a rather large set of rooms and passages, even if we have to wait it out, I think the worst issue will simply be wet feet.  However I'm not sure enough about that to get complacent.

And of course, Ablel chose exactly this moment to refuse to do anything but start collecting components for a project.  If it's some stupid piece of jewelry I'm going to be unhappy.  Well, unless it's a piece of bone jewelry.  We could use a highly skilled bonecrafter to turn all this bone and horn and teeth and everything else into useful stuff.

Fortunately, with no help from Ablel, we were able to seal the main cistern.  The outer floodgates did not close though.  The inner floodgates closed, and the mysteriously self-opening doors to the cistern also sealed back again after one of us cycled them open then shut again.

There is a way to access the outer area from within the fort.  I am going to attempt a rapid fix to get the area sealed again while I wait to see what Ablel creates at the glass furnace.

I was unable to fully clear the junk blocking the outer floodgates.  It seems that for some reason my fellow dwarves, even when confined to a small area with clear directions are unable to figure out to pick up trash here, and move it there.

Catastrophe averted, though we can't figure out what caused it to begin with.  I was not going to pass on the leadership of the fort without as least stopping the cistern from flooding the fort.

While we were fighting floodwaters, Ablel created a green glass coffin - a highly useful piece of work in this place, let me tell you!

What I would suggest that the next overseer do is fill the cistern, and start flushing water through it to try to push the junk through the outer floodgates.  Keep an eye on our fearless leader who is making sterling silver bars.

There is a single mason working to complete a tower and any other small projects that are nearly done.  Doing a couple passes through the job list to have him finish up a floor here or wall there just to clean up the mess might be a good plan, so the mason's guild doesn't raise a huge fuss whenever we try to move rocks.

There is a crafting station set up next to the new refuse area which is set up for constant operation of totem and bone crafts.  Right next to it is a crafting station set up to constantly make pots.  The bone crafts will help turn junk into useful sellables.  The pots will help to store the still-absurd quantities of food floating around.  There's a farmer's workshop set up across from the butcher's shop, set up to spin thread repeatedly.

Right around the corner from the refuse area is a very large unfinished atom smasher.  I started it too late.  if you want to make a big dent in cleaning things up, this might help in the long run.

You might consider pasturing kittens and puppies in there after the atom smasher is built.

Oh, I found where someone had made a nice set of five obvious jail cells, nice big ones, and installed nice doors, and added drink and food stockpiles to each of them.  There should be no concerns about dwarves starving or dying of thirst while improsoned any more, unless the whole fort runs short of food.  Which might happen some time in the next 10 years with the population where it is.

Well, it's 13 Slate.  I've taken nearly an extra six weeks trying frantically to fix the cistern, and had to stop with it in a condition where the inner gates are sealed, but the outer gates are not.  I simply could not get the dwarves to pick up the loose items blocking the floodgates, even when I created custom burrows and garbage dumps and dump assigned the items.  Painful.

I do not want to leave the save like this, but I also don't want to prevent the next overseer from figuring out what they want to do with the elves on their next visit...

Here is the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7181
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:52:45 pm by Farmerbob »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: November 30, 2012, 07:42:07 am »

OK, DFFD is completely unresponsive to upload attempts.  Anyone know any other free sites that I can send this to that are not nasty virus pits?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:19 am »

OK, DFFD is completely unresponsive to upload attempts.  Anyone know any other free sites that I can send this to that are not nasty virus pits?

Just give it a few hours and try again then.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Uh oh.

Unfortunately Vehudur apparently at that very moment became the target of a malicious spirit who sent him into a tantrum.

Wasn't my fault, I swear!
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, save is up.  Sorry for the delay. See above for the link.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Hey, Vehudur! You're up!

Enjoy your tantrum-filled beginning.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, Vehudur! You're up!

Enjoy your tantrum-filled beginning.

Actually, the one tantrum that I saw was caused by ghostly posession, not by happiness.

The countess was throwing a tantrum when I first connected, but that subsided and I mostly managed to keep her busy making her own sterling silver items (bars) and gaining a bit of happiness over time.  Lost a lot when she got locked into a odd broken status with burrows though.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

I will do this - but I'm not going to be able to get to it this weekend, I have a busy weekend ahead of me.

I hope starting it Monday isn't a problem?

By the way, you realize I have not done anything but megaprojects in such a long time I'm likely to botch this horribly, right?

After NCommander's next turn (which is after mine) we're going to need more volunteers victims volunteers.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:21:36 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

I will do this - but I'm not going to be able to get to it this weekend, I have a busy weekend ahead of me. if the curse lets me.

I hope starting it Monday isn't a problem?

Nah, we're willing to wait.

By the way, you realize I have not done anything but megaprojects in such a long time I'm likely to botch this horribly, right?

Clean the place up, and you will have achieved the impossible. Botch this horribly up, and you qualify for "keeping up with the rest of us".

After NCommander's next turn (which is after mine) we're going to need more volunteers victims volunteers.

If no-on else... I'll do it...

*sigh*

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

This is the part where I ask what the worst thing that could happen is.

And, OK, I'll clean the place up.  Hopefully I'll get to test the waterslide as well.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

This is the part where I ask what the worst thing that could happen is.

You accidentally let the demons and goblins in at once, and then the place floods.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 167