Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188237 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - Try the new Water Slide attraction!
« Reply #2025 on: October 02, 2012, 09:18:32 am »

I wonder how much more attention this fort would be getting if necromancers hadn't come out so soon.

If Necromancy was compatible with this save, I'd have personally ensured that Hell was full of the zombified remains of every corpse in the fort. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: October 02, 2012, 11:04:22 am »

You wouldn't need to ensure anything; those bastards get EVERYWHERE.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: October 02, 2012, 11:46:09 am »

I wonder how much more attention this fort would be getting if necromancers hadn't come out so soon.

If Necromancy was compatible with this save, I'd have personally ensured that Hell was full of the zombified remains of every corpse in the fort. 

The necros would happily do it for you.

Also, zombie demons.

I'm going to loose sleep over that idea.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: October 02, 2012, 02:06:48 pm »

Also, zombie demons.

Please tell me that's not actually possible.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: October 03, 2012, 07:39:16 am »

By the way, I checked through Legends. Here are the stories of previous Oliollis:

Oliolli (reclaim edition): Miner -> Militia, Iron Flail'd
Oliolli IV (My first reclaim): Militia Commander, FB'd
Oliolli III: Craftsdwarf, Killed "Gamerlord" the dwarf, survived until first abandon by Aussie
Oliolli II: Carpenter, died of thirst, came back as howling spirit, put to rest in 101
Oliolli: First volunteer, Death by Troll

Dastotamud Overseer's log
1st of Granite, 110

So there I was, doing nothing in particular, when suddenly NCommander walks in and tells me that my name is now Oliolli VI and that I'm in command of the fortress now.

Isn't that marvelous.

So first up is figuring out what's going on around here, and what I'm supposed to be doing. I asked around and according to Urist McRunaka my first task is to retrieve some "crundle leather book", lost in the endless expanse of the quarry level.

While I was asking around, however, I was also informed that Hell is mostly drained of magma by now. Well, largely, not mostly. There are still places where magma lingers, and if nothing is done those areas will never drain. Magma lakes, if you will.

The drowning trap seems functional enough, and while it has a tendency to flood everything outside, it's not that bad. I think.

(getting 10 FPS with all this water)

Also, as I'm looking through the schematics to the drowntrap, I can't seem to figure out which lever does what. It is... slightly irritating, as there are currently two goblins inside the trap.

Thus, I had a lever pulled at random. We now have three goblins in the drown trap.

Thus, I had ANOTHER lever pulled at random. The trap is no longer in FTW mode, I think.

Thus, I had a THIRD lever pulled at random. Next thing I know, the trap is full of water. Thakn you, Erica.

Unfortunately, a goblin managed to open the door to the trap before the floodgates to the cistern could be closed. Even though it was only a matter of moments, a lot of water was spilled. On the bright side, three goblins were killed.

...bloody hell, I've reigned for a week and I've already flooded the countryside once...

Looking through some other projects in the fort, I'm conflicted on if I should go through with one that would result in us getting access to some adamantine wafers and weapons. The downside is that not doing so might ease the reclamation of the Pit House.

In other news, Erica has apparently been demanding sterling silver items. Constantly. I've decided to have a sterling silver hive built. I will later have it placed in her room.

Seems that a previous overseer had been annoyed by such demands as well: there is a cavy boar corpse rotting in her quarters, as well as two ghosts haunting it. Getting rid of them is low on my priority list.

I also noticed that I have no idea how the drown trap should be emptied correctly, without flooding the countryside again.

15th of Granite, 110

It was recently brought to my attention that there is a squad of goblins waiting outside the doors. One of the weapon traps is jammed and neither cage trap is loaded. On the bright side, they can't enter.

20th of Granite, 110

As I finally finish the sterling silver hive, I get a note. Erica has mandated the construction of sterling silver items. I believe that, with time, I will learn to dislike her.

1st of Slate, 110

It has only been a month... We shall see how long I last. This place is a MESS.

(Sorry about the lack of pictures, I'll try to remedy that if you want)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2030 on: October 03, 2012, 01:45:35 pm »

The drowning trap drains by flooding the country side. Its just a matter of some water or OMG FLOOD.

Also, for the mandates smelting bars also meets the demand though I think we're out of copper. I tended to let Erica's mandates go to the very last minute to minimize demands on our supply.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: October 03, 2012, 08:22:49 pm »

When I get to my turn I'm building a drain for that which takes it to the river so you don't flood the countryside. 
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

HiritconOvermindGibbross

• Bay Watcher
  • !Why is the rum gone?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: October 03, 2012, 08:30:54 pm »

When I get to my turn I'm building a drain for that which takes it to the river so you don't flood the countryside.

But whats wrong with flooding the countryside? :-\
!!!THE WINE MUST FFFFLLLLOOOOWWWW!!!
Also Jesus loves you and wants to help you!
John 3:16-17 (New King James Version)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

If you have questions just ask.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: October 03, 2012, 11:53:48 pm »

I just realized something from my earlier query about the Elk Bird dress. Is that meant to be literal? Is it a elk in the form of a bird?
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: October 04, 2012, 01:10:18 am »

That's... a really good question.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: October 04, 2012, 01:55:42 pm »

Sorry about no update today, kinda busy with school stuff. Tomorrow.

Squirreloid? What are you doing here?

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: October 04, 2012, 02:58:11 pm »

I just realized something from my earlier query about the Elk Bird dress. Is that meant to be literal? Is it a elk in the form of a bird?

It's a bird with elk antlers. I made a picture! :3
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, it's pretty terrible...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: October 04, 2012, 03:13:53 pm »

That looks like a raptor with no arms and antlers...
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: October 04, 2012, 08:55:20 pm »

I've always imagined Elk Birds as being something like Terror Birds

With antlers, of course.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:01:50 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: October 05, 2012, 05:53:38 am »

Dastotamud Overseer's log
13th of Slate, 110

The only thing of interest to happen so far this month is that the golbins are finally taking steps closer to the stairs, thus walking into our traps. No dead goblins or mortal wounds yet though: a bruised cheek and a broken rib.

1st of Felsite

The only other thing of interest to happen was when another goblin stepped into the same trap and fractured a leg. She's currently leaving the area, by the looks of things.

I do have a lot of things designated, but nobody seems willing to do them... The fort is kinda standing still.

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 167