Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188244 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - Try the new Water Slide attraction!
« Reply #2010 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:14 pm »

A newbie mistake? You'll always be making stupid little mistakes. That's how fun is generated in the first place.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2011 on: October 01, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »

28th Obsidian 109
Overseer's Log of Dastotamd
Chief Medical Dwarf - Goden 'NCommander' Kilrudmegid

===

As my reign as overseer comes to an end, I shall summarize recent events as best possible. Following drowning of our fellow dwarves, the Mountianhomes elevated Swordthunders once again to a county.

Erica, who has been upset that corsac's tomb is nicer than hers, demanded a new tomb. Instead of actually building one, I merely assigned her a disused one in hell that meets all of her requirements.

With that taken care off, I had the drive train to the pumps disconnected to allow a full draining of the cristen, thus to allow us to dismantle the pressure plate.

After two weeks, the water levels dropped to the point where I was able to dismantle the plate. In the intern, I've started collecting sand so we may have a sustainable glass industry someday, perhaps to generate a magma trap someday in the future. More goblins showed up, and engaged two of our military who was outside collecting armor and shield.

Oops.

None the less, I did manage to get the goblins in the drowning chamber, and successfully killed them without recreating the Swordthunders Waterslide From Hell attraction.

To make sure we do not have a repeat of surprise goblins, I've had a tame tiger and leopard chained outside near the entrances. They promptly located another goblin squid not long after.

They were lured into the drowning chamber and once again, levers were thrown.

This, as you might expect, failed.

It turns out I installed a bridge backwards, and water (and goblins) escaped through the minor gap.

The force of the water sent two goblins flying out the entrance, and escaped onto solid ground.

Inspired by recent events, zacen299 decided to get moody and claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop.

Not long after ...

As my year ended, more goblins showed up, and I began draining the flood chamber. Another shall lead Swordthunders to a drier future.

---

Get your hot Swordthunder save here, fresh off my harddrive

I'll drop a PM to Oliolli that he's up.

zacen299: I've been playing since DF2010, and I managed to flood the world four times on my turn, including washing goblins straight into the fort. The fort itself is now mostly water tight, and the drowning chamber is the second most lethal device (after the checkboard).
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: October 01, 2012, 05:59:42 pm »

Well I can't argue with that I need a turn then although I give no guarantees that anything interesting will happen although knowing me it might just. :3
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: October 01, 2012, 08:31:40 pm »

Just 4 turns... Four. Turns.

The diamonds will conquer all...

Also, do I have a dwarf? If not, could I be dwarfed as a mechanic?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: October 01, 2012, 09:20:49 pm »

Ye gods, NCommander. 

Oliolli, you're up.  Try not to wreck the place this time.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2015 on: October 01, 2012, 09:39:23 pm »

Ye gods, NCommander. 

What? :-) I did a fast turnaround, retrofitted a device to drown goblins, and flushed the garbage off the front yard and added a nice water slide attraction.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: October 01, 2012, 09:54:07 pm »

Ye gods, NCommander. 

What? :-) I did a fast turnaround, retrofitted a device to drown goblins, and flushed the garbage off the front yard and added a nice water slide attraction.

I'm more surprised the old flooding weapon actually WORKED, considering beta testing didn't go as well.  Not to mention the insane dent in the FPS.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: October 01, 2012, 10:17:28 pm »

I'm slightly scared and relived if I take a turn now I go after NCommander but there is the whole thing of who else will be running the fort before then. *Shivers* Oh goddamit I'm on Bay12 why am I being scared if it dies it was meant to die and the only thing I can do is make it as epic as possible.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #2018 on: October 01, 2012, 11:03:04 pm »

Of course it will live long enough. There are only 6 people in queue in front of you. That means one or two turns, tops!

I dunno, the last time I asked for a turn in a fort, it died within a week of my asking :P

The exact same thing happened to me with Failcannon. And Hellcannon. Meh.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: October 01, 2012, 11:52:12 pm »

"Tonight, flash flood warning in the vicinity of Swordthunders fortress. Bring your umbrellas people! :D Back to you NCommander!"

YUS. Now. Write an excerpt in the the Crundle Leather Book. This part of the book is the descriptory part.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Applies to all the people. doooeeet. write in it. write in it. write in it. please? ;A;

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: October 02, 2012, 12:16:37 am »

I have to wonder how many Zacen299s can die before NCommanders next turn comes up?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2021 on: October 02, 2012, 12:30:02 am »

"Tonight, flash flood warning in the vicinity of Swordthunders fortress. Bring your umbrellas people! :D Back to you NCommander!"

"Thank you, Mapleguy555. I bring you live to our on-site reporter, Goblin Invader. Mr. Invader, can you please relay surface conditions at ground zero?"

"*blugh*, *blugh*, *blugh*"

"Thank you, Mr. Invader. By a happy coincidence, Mr. Invader has drowned, thus removing the world of one more goblin. if you would like a job as the frontline anchor of Swordthunder's News Network, please send your resume here. Elves have preferred treatment of course. Swimming lessons are optional"

"Now, later in tonight's news, circus clowns? Harmless threat, or fortress-destroying death machines. You decide. Back to you, Maple!"

---

(as an aside, I should try and see if I can catch carp in the small bit of river we have, train them, then release them into the drowning chamber at the appropriate time. Alternatively, we do have at least one alligator ...).

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: October 02, 2012, 12:46:43 am »

"Thanks NCommander! It appears that the Dwarven Checker season is coming up, as I hear that the administrators within Swordthunders are planning to revive the old pasttime that made the fortress famous. (Partially.)

And that's it for Swordthunders Nightly, praise Armok!"

[Cue Fist of Armok Emblem]

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: October 02, 2012, 06:52:23 am »

I wonder how much more attention this fort would be getting if necromancers hadn't come out so soon.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: October 02, 2012, 06:56:00 am »

DLing the save. Expect a story post today or tomorrow. If I don't report in, mark me as Cursed in Action (CIA).

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 167