Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188462 times)

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - Try the new Water Slide attraction!
« Reply #1950 on: September 27, 2012, 08:56:02 pm »

NCommander, would you be so kind as to sentence the quote pyramid'ers in the traditional Swordthunders way? 

Warren them in hell and have them (re)build the HellWalls!

TO THE WALLS WITH YOU!

Small problem he had like half the quotes in that pyramid. Edit: Also I'm probably in more danger from being beekeeper than I ever could be building the wall in hell.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:57:46 pm by zacen299 »
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1951 on: September 27, 2012, 09:02:01 pm »

Oh god, the quotation abuse!

lol

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Annoyingly, your dwarf seems to be surviving just fine. He's install three hives and is onto the fourth without issue. I gave him the jobtitle 'Wannabe Beekeeper', but I think he might survive. We also have a patch of strawberries growing now.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: September 27, 2012, 09:04:58 pm »

Oh god, the quotation abuse!

lol

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Annoyingly, your dwarf seems to be surviving just fine. He's install three hives and is onto the fourth without issue. I gave him the jobtitle 'Wannabe Beekeeper', but I think he might survive. We also have a patch of strawberries growing now.

Oh of course why does he have to do good when all we all want is for him to be standing there like an idiot when a forgotten beast shows up and sends body parts EVERYWHERE! That or Goblin swarms.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: September 27, 2012, 09:14:44 pm »

I've noticed that a single beekeeper will never have problems. It's when you've got 2-3 beekeepers who are all trying to install hives that they all stand there fighting over a hive.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: September 27, 2012, 09:22:40 pm »

I've noticed that a single beekeeper will never have problems. It's when you've got 2-3 beekeepers who are all trying to install hives that they all stand there fighting over a hive.

Well then do we have two other spare peasants doing nothing that could afford to die?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: September 27, 2012, 11:22:37 pm »

Well then do we have two other spare peasants doing nothing that could afford to die?

"Afford to die" doesn't really apply to a fortress that has an entire civilization buried in its depths.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: September 28, 2012, 12:36:44 am »

"Afford to die" doesn't really apply to a fortress that has an entire civilization buried in its depths.

TO THE WALLS!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: September 28, 2012, 07:23:53 am »

NCommander, would you be so kind as to sentence the quote pyramid'ers in the traditional Swordthunders way? 

Warren them in hell and have them (re)build the HellWalls!

TO THE WALLS WITH YOU!

Small problem he had like half the quotes in that pyramid. Edit: Also I'm probably in more danger from being beekeeper than I ever could be building the wall in hell.

Well, in that case I will give that punishment.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1958 on: September 28, 2012, 08:46:37 am »

So another migrant arrived. Truth be told, its been pretty quiet; work on automating the FDS continues, and I have production orders for hives and wooden jugs in place to get mead flowing.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: September 28, 2012, 09:40:42 am »

So another migrant arrived. Truth be told, its been pretty quiet; work on automating the FDS continues, and I have production orders for hives and wooden jugs in place to get mead flowing.

Proper surface-grown honey and strawberries are strange thing to have in Swordthunders. 

Also, just to make it known, getting magma to the surface of Swordthunders would be a tricky proposition - there's no iron on the map.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1960 on: September 28, 2012, 10:14:14 am »

Proper surface-grown honey and strawberries are strange thing to have in Swordthunders. 

Also, just to make it known, getting magma to the surface of Swordthunders would be a tricky proposition - there's no iron on the map.

Challenge Accepted. Add me for a second turn and I'll do my best to create a magma pumpstack.

Actually, its pretty easy. There's a patch of sand on Z-110 and glass is magma-safe. Just need a metric asston of bags. I just dislike the glass industries need for a constant supply of bags. If I play with glass, I usually have one non-magma furance with a repeat collect sand and profiled dedicated collectors, and then fill the queue with suspended jobs so managers don't send jobs to it.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1961 on: September 28, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »

25th Timber 109
Overseer's Log of Dastotamd
Chief Medical Dwarf - Goden 'NCommander' Kilrudmegid
===

Well, until yesterday things have been slow. I began work on automated the FDS so it can automatically drown goblins.

As we lack trained mechanics, I've begun training by creating mechanisms. As the spring continued, our new migrant, zacen299 demanded to become a beekeeper so he could "die horribly to goblins". I told him to go beekeep and had hives installed.

I also took advantage of our skylight to setup a patch of strawberry farming. We will soon have strawberry wine flowing in our stocks!

We also had the human traders arrive, but failed to trade as our broker decided not to go the depot despite being burrowed. As work progressed on automating the FDS, I had additional doors installed by the hatch/bridge incase one does make it through to prevent a pressure flood. A retaining wall was also built around the skylight

I also had another set of sterling silver bars forged so we can handle additional mandates, but due to lack of refined silver, we only have four on hand. Due to the mess of mechanisms throughout the fort, I ended up forbidding all expect for the stockpile near the workshop level. Even then, the plate wasn't rigged until yesterday, but we will get back to that

As I reviewed our status, I found this lovely message left by a previous overseer

Very funny.

Morale across the fort seems to be improving, as our outpost leader decided to throw a party

I also took rebuilding the hospital to have tables and traction benches next to the beds so we won't disturb our patents.

A snatcher tried to run in, but got caught in one of the cage traps

Summer passed without note, as did most of fall.

A seige engineer came and made it in without issue, and helped with the hauling duties until I could figure out what to do with him. Following him was the outpost liason and the dwarven caravan.

Then following that, without warning, the goblins came.

Just before this, the FDS's pressure plates were rigged. I had installed a cage connected to a lever which would serve as the testbed for the FDS, but I decided to test it with a more interesting target.

zacen299 suddenly got his wish.

That was quick.

I locked the entrance hatches, and ordered the door to the FDS unforbidden. The goblins immediately raced in.

And reached the pressure plate.

Nothing happens ...

I suspect I mis-set the pressure plate when it was installed, but I can't worry about that now. Immediately I ordered the FDS bridge lever pulled, and the hatch closed to lock them in place. With the goblins locked in place, I had the orders issued to activate the FDS manually. As dwarfs ran to the activation levers, the liason told me we are eligible for promotion!

I then heard a sound I once heard before.

The sound of the failure ...

One of the drainage floodgates had jammed open and forced the FDS into fuck-the-world mode. Due to the location of the leak, the fort is now sealed from the outside world due to 7/7 water directly below the entrance hatches. A second set of redesigns will be necessary. On the plus side.

I ran to check points of the fort that had flooded during the previous event, and to my relief, they remain dry. The surface retaining wall has done its job.

On the downside, the trade depot had a series of fortifactions (presumably to allow marksdwarfs to safely attack goblins). The depot is now underwater.

I ordered the door locked less the flood drowns Swordthunders, but there is nothing that I can do to help. May Amrok have mercy on my soul ...

I don't think this can get any worse.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: September 28, 2012, 12:49:31 pm »

Brilliant.

Also, it could be way, way worse.  Swordthunders is being nice to you.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: September 28, 2012, 03:04:30 pm »

:P I really am surprised I wasn't caught in the flooding.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:54:15 pm by zacen299 »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 167