Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188391 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #1890 on: September 25, 2012, 06:19:57 am »

Got the save. Unfortunately, I'm travelling for the next two weeks with a rather underpowered laptop. Its possible I may need to be kicked down a level on the turn list. Will let you know ASAP

EDIT: Got it, seems the graphics pack was lost (I prefer ASCII but thought Iwould menthon it). I however thought we were a barony; I see no baron ...

EDIT 2: splintzer's therapist doesn't like 31.25. (not that therapist worked very well on this version of DF/Linux)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:33:15 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 25, 2012, 06:37:34 am »

Got the save. Unfortunately, I'm travelling for the next two weeks with a rather underpowered laptop. Its possible I may need to be kicked down a level on the turn list. Will let you know ASAP

EDIT: Got it, seems the graphics pack was lost (I prefer ASCII but thought Iwould menthon it). I however thought we were a barony; I see no baron ...

EDIT 2: splintzer's therapist doesn't like 31.25. (not that therapist worked very well on this version of DF/Linux)

There's a copy of DF with the necessary graphics pack in the OP

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1892 on: September 25, 2012, 06:44:30 am »

There's a copy of DF with the necessary graphics pack in the OP

Is that a Linux version?

Anyway, I prefer ASCII and it seems Eric burned the pack out, so I'm happy. Mostly trying to figure how swordthunders is put together. Thinking I need to focus on coffin building (coffins are more reliable way to get rid of ghosts; my reclaim of Failcannon proved that). One of the nice things about reclaim mode is the item scatter generally puts stuff where you can reach it.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 25, 2012, 06:56:13 am »

Thinking I need to focus on coffin building (coffins are more reliable way to get rid of ghosts; my reclaim of Failcannon proved that).

What if bodies are not reachable/destroyed?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1894 on: September 25, 2012, 07:05:11 am »

Thinking I need to focus on coffin building (coffins are more reliable way to get rid of ghosts; my reclaim of Failcannon proved that).

What if bodies are not reachable/destroyed?

Its not perfect but we have a mountain of forbidden bodies outside the fort. You only need a small portion of a body for burial (a XXUrist's right footXX) will do the trick). Also burial is the only way to remove unslabbable ghosts in 31.25. In addition, I found we have 50+ memorial slabs not installed so I just desiginated them all to be installed.

When you have a ghost problem like this, the fort basically running on a countdown clock on how quickly you can slab vs. how quickly the ghosts can exterminate you. Looks like Eric did the baron promotion but the outpost liason hasn't left the map so that's why we're not a barony ...

First update should be coming soon.

Looks like Mego IV bit the dust when no one was looking, hence why I can't find a baron spot anywhere. Guess Swordthunders shall never become a mountianhome ...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:26:01 am by NCommander »

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 25, 2012, 08:39:22 am »

you sure u have the right save? when I finished there were no more carved slab and swordthunder is a county. erica is the baroness and cousac is the count. there's 2 goblin army and one already dead just outside. I played on linux so my save should work fine

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1896 on: September 25, 2012, 08:51:06 am »

you sure u have the right save? when I finished there were no more carved slab and swordthunder is a county. erica is the baroness and cousac is the count. there's 2 goblin army and one already dead just outside. I played on linux so my save should work fine

I took the save ThatAussieGuy gave me in the PM. Where's the most recent one?

Ugh, found it. Well, my first update is officially null and void. Annoying.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 25, 2012, 10:06:42 am »

Ah crap, I fucked up on this one - I copy-and-pasted the last "it's your turn" message and forgot to update the savegame.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1898 on: September 25, 2012, 11:08:39 am »

Ah crap, I fucked up on this one - I copy-and-pasted the last "it's your turn" message and forgot to update the savegame.

Not a big deal. I'm currently mulling using the floodgate release levers to try and drown the seige. I *think* I located the correct ones ...

Maybe.

I don'tthink TAD installed a self destruct ...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 25, 2012, 11:26:30 am »

I don't think TAD installed a self destruct ...

No, but I did.  It's clearly marked with a note. 

I wouldn't bother trying to use the pressure defense system - It never worked, and most of it's now being used for storage.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1900 on: September 25, 2012, 11:49:13 am »

I don't think TAD installed a self destruct ...

No, but I did.  It's clearly marked with a note. 

I wouldn't bother trying to use the pressure defense system - It never worked, and most of it's now being used for storage.

Right,I found that one no problem. What I speaking out is the floodgate airlock which has the giant chrism (I guess is the PDS) next to it. The entire ambush group is setting next to it. Its mostly a matter if I want to test the lethal of water ...

I did add notes after making educated guesses to what some stuff does ...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 25, 2012, 11:55:32 am »

I think I know where and what you mean, but it's not very effective.  Especially with the water level as low as it is in the cistern.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1902 on: September 25, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »

16th Granite 109
Overseer's Log of Dastotamd
Chief Medical Dwarf - Goden 'NCommander' Kilrudmegid
===

Since my fat mouth landed me in the position of overseer, I've learned that its 'tradition' for overseers to report in this journal on the happenings of Swordthunders.

I should explain, until sixteen days ago, I was merely the CMD of Swordthunders. As cousac's time as overseer came to an end and he ascended to be our count, we were once again left without leadership. There have been notions of a "curse" that affect our leaders. I tried to argue that such things don't exist just as our fine count cousac walked by.

Well, that's how I become overseer. The overseer's office was covered in papers, requests, and plenty of mandates from our various nobles. I've slowly been working my way through it.

As I take the reigns of oversight, here's our stocks as we stand now:

I found some rather strange orders left for our craftsdwarfs that I cancelled out.

In addition, i found complaints from the nobility about there room conditions and a mandate to create silver sterling items.

Looking through our rooms, I found our expedition leader has a throne room

Which was promptly reassigned, and he got a chair in the dining room to continue his management duties.

I had some of the old armor and weapon racks lying around uprooted and are currently on their way to being installed in our count's quarters. I decided to forge a weapon rack out of sterling silver to meet the mandate.

Happy, our bloody count immediately issued a new mandate!

Frustatlingly, we only have three bars of stirring silver left, and our smelters seem unable to produce more:

I also looked over the rather feeble state of our military. As an internin medical dwarf in the Mountianhomes, I once helped an old Hammer Lord recover after he was victim of a goblin siege. He told me how he started as a basic recruit with no experience, and would just pair off to try and learn wrestling before moving on to learning the ways of the hammer.

I've decided to try his advice, and regrouped our military into four groups of two, and had them throw away their weapons and armor so that they would be speedy and fast. This immediately paid off with the following announcement.

It may be a long time before they're elites, but Swordthunders will have the foundations of a badass military before the year is out.

OOC: I did a non-canonical run of what the PDS would do. It almost worked perfectly but the pressure dispature walls caused the water to flow out as a trickle (the hallway learning tothe other floodgates filled in about 20 ticks).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:02:12 pm by NCommander »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 25, 2012, 01:58:13 pm »

My turn again soon...

* Oliolli shudders.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 25, 2012, 11:20:03 pm »

You know I was going to say I think it would be interesting to be dorfed in this fort but suddenly I'm very very scared. I'd give myself five minutes about as long as the last Dwarf I named after me lasted (miner horrible horrible death). :3
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 167