Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188224 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

At this point, it's getting a bit surreal.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Come on, it's not like swordthunders drives you more insane than you should already be! I mean, I had no trouble with it at all. FPS was even fairly high.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't reported cuz not much had happened yet. One day passes every 15 to 20 minutes. I meant it when I asked for patience

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I haven't reported cuz not much had happened yet. One day passes every 15 to 20 minutes. I meant it when I asked for patience

Oh wow.  You poor soul.  What's your FPS like? 5-10'ish?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

Sounds like me, except I couldn't put up with it for more than a month. Also the constant stream of announcements about my dwarf getting yet more blisters.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Oh wow.  You poor soul.  What's your FPS like? 5-10'ish?

He said it before I did, but you poor soul.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

averaging between 3-7 fps :-/ Sorry I got snippy. Everyone's demanding more of my time everyday. It's funny that it started on my turn. Anyway, my point is I'm trying to play for 3 hrs but usually play for 1 or 1 1/2 before bed. Seems everyone's computer broke or went wonky at the same time and it's like "get cousac to fix it, he's good at it." ugh. Ya know I had my single core 11 year old desktop puter when i asked for a turn. I can't even begin to imagine how this would have played on that. oof! Anyways, more puter's to fix, then some df before bed. Perhaps I should post the story in drips and drabs? waddya say?

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

HiritconOvermindGibbross

• Bay Watcher
  • !Why is the rum gone?!
    • View Profile

averaging between 3-7 fps :-/ Sorry I got snippy. Everyone's demanding more of my time everyday. It's funny that it started on my turn. Anyway, my point is I'm trying to play for 3 hrs but usually play for 1 or 1 1/2 before bed. Seems everyone's computer broke or went wonky at the same time and it's like "get cousac to fix it, he's good at it." ugh. Ya know I had my single core 11 year old desktop puter when i asked for a turn. I can't even begin to imagine how this would have played on that. oof! Anyways, more puter's to fix, then some df before bed. Perhaps I should post the story in drips and drabs? waddya say?

I say take your time. Gives me more time to fix my computer that I broke a few weeks back.
Also I still plan to take my turn when it comes around again so don't change it yet.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:47:01 pm by HiritconOvermindGibbross »
!!!THE WINE MUST FFFFLLLLOOOOWWWW!!!
Also Jesus loves you and wants to help you!
John 3:16-17 (New King James Version)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

If you have questions just ask.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: intro (click to show/hide)

I just sat in my room, obsessing over my current fate.  Suddenly, there was a loud thud resonating in my small room. I looked down and saw a familiar tome. I looked up and saw a rather tall and skinny lady dwarf, could have passed for an elf.

"Who are you?! What is the meaning of this?!"

"Hi, Erica. Nice ta meetcha. I used to run this sprawling insane asylum. The book has chosen you. Why? I don’t know, but it did so deal with it. You should be out here running things instead hiding out in here for the whole year.”

“Yes, I can. You just watch me!”

“Fine, but the book is recording every single thing you do. Future overseers will know that you hid out in here. Think you can live with knowing future dwarfs will curse your name for not stepping up when they needed you most? We have hostile cave people, beasts long forgotten and not to mention restless spirits that still haunt. You should know, after all. You look like you’ve seen a ghost! ha!”

“Just go away!”

“Sure thing, farewell coward.” Her laughter lingered long after her departure, bouncing around the the room like a cat with its tail pulled.

I really need to get a door put up here.

Spoiler: old room (click to show/hide)

or maybe an isolated room. Yea, that would be better.

If this cursed book really records everything I do, then I really should do something. I’ve never been a dwarf of action, however, so deciding what to do next is difficult. I know I’ll order a room constructed, one with a door and is away from the general populace.

Spoiler: future room (click to show/hide)

Well, to get started, I must leave my quarters. I stood up beside the bed and looked down. I hesitated for what seems like eons, finally I gathered my nerves and picked up the book. It was musty, dusty, and hefty. I looked out my door, watching the motley assortment of fellow dwarfs go to and fro. They’re out there unaware that their very livelihood could be threatened. They are depending on me to bring them notoriety, fortune, and prosperity. I am no leader, what do I know of politics, economics, and commanding? Well, I guess I should try at least.

“So, McRunaka, how goes the excavation?”

He stood straight, wiping the sweat off his prominent chin with the back of his hand, leaving behind a swath of stone dust. “It’ll be done soon enough, but ya gon’ ha’ta get some folks ta drag dem stones out if’n you want ta lie comfy.”

“I’ll see to it, yes. Tell me, how goes the interacting with our liaison?”

His eyes darkened just bit, so subtle a change in his demeanor that I almost missed it. “That bloody dwarf is gettin’ on my last nerves! I ha’ more important things ta do than ta babysit a messenger!”

“But if he reports favorably, we could end up with extra labor!”

“Then I’ll ha’ta babysit a bunch o’ no-good, lolligaggin’ whingers! No thank ya!” With that he walked away, this...does not bode well.

Despite his misgivings, caravans MUST survive to report our wealth. Their every arrival has thus far coincided with an assault of one ilk or another, negating their chances of survival. This needs to be rectified, and swiftly!

I’ll order a tunnel built to the edge of our realm, then utilize ramps and hatches to let them out to safety. This may take some doing and time as well. Being undermanned will drag this project out to potentially pass my term, but I must start it.

I keep hearing the ghostly wails and keening. I can’t take it anymore. A week on the job and I’m already ready to turn in my sanity slate.

“Argh! These confounded spirits will not let me be!” I plugged my ears with my pudgy fingers in a vain attempt to block the ghostly laments.

“Hey there, coward! I see you’re out of your hole. Still seeing ghosts?” Erica had continued to torment me while I try to do my duties as overseer. She was not a welcome sight.

“Haven’t spotted a one, but their keening persists!” I don’t know why I told her this, perhaps my naivete still rules deep within me?

“Well, If you go slabbing, you might put a few of them down.” There was that smirk she has taken to wearing, like it was her uniform. Slabbing sounds simple enough, but that smirk tells me it may be problematic at best. I must try though. I haven’t slept a wink since the spirits began harassing me.

“I know of a room half filled with coffins. I shall fill the other half with slabs.” I felt proud that I had thought of this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“Well, that’s a start.” She laughed and walked away. That ladydwarf infuriates me.

A little more than a month has gone by, and already things have started happening. Zaneg Ustanducim, the Gem Cutter, started babbling incoherently. She ran around maniacally, screaming unintelligibly.

“What in a goblin’s udder has gotten into her,” I muttered.

A familiar shrill voice startled me, “mebbe she’s possessed.”

Armok’s beard preserve me, she’s the last dwarf i wanted to see today, or ever really.

“Just what do you mean by that?”

She shrugged, her smirk persisted throughout the motion. “Sometimes spirits possess people and often they have a strident need to create something.”

I was flabbergasted. “Do you mean to tell me that this is one of those ‘strange moods’ I keep hearing about?”

“It can take several forms, but strange moods really do happen”

I can’t believe that it’s actually happening! I was distraught, “well, what can I do about it? I don’t want to lose any under my care if I can help it.”

She laughed, “if you have everything the spirit needs, then all should be right with the world.”

Have I mentioned she’s infuriating? “And if I do not?”

She laughed harder, “then no amount of counselling will aid her. She will then lose it and, if you are horribly unlucky, she will take as many of us as she can before she takes her own life. I am so glad not to be in your shoes anymore. Stinks to be you though. Good luck!” She spun and strode away at a strut. Yep, infuriating.

So, our gem cutter is possessed, and is in need of a workshop.  I hope we have what the spirit needs. If not, I shall have to put her down like a rabid goblin.

The spirit has directed our gem cutter to claim a Jeweler’s Shop. I will be keeping a close eye on her. I do not trust the spirits, in my experience, they are nothing but trouble. And what is that she keeps muttering.

She has started the construction, which mean we had what she needed. Thank goodness for that! What in Ok’s name is she going to do with all those materials? It has better be something good, else she’ll be relegated to Wall duty. Wait, where did that come from?

NOTE: I will update this post as I write more. This is by no means where I left off. Just where I stopped writing :-p  More story is forth coming. So enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:30:32 pm by cousac »

HiritconOvermindGibbross

• Bay Watcher
  • !Why is the rum gone?!
    • View Profile

Keep up the good work. :D
And maby an update on whos dwarfs are still alive might be useful. Just saying.
!!!THE WINE MUST FFFFLLLLOOOOWWWW!!!
Also Jesus loves you and wants to help you!
John 3:16-17 (New King James Version)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

If you have questions just ask.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why are the quarters so small? My ones are 3x3.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why are the quarters so small? My ones are 3x3.

Engraved and just the bare minimum.  I never had any complaints from the dwarves inhabiting them.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile

Hello, just popping in to say awesome reclaim and ask if I can have a turn overseeing this madness :D
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello, just popping in to say awesome reclaim and ask if I can have a turn overseeing this madness :D

Added.  You poor soul...

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile

Well, I have about as much chance of overseeing this as I do Spearbreakers, so I think it's worth a go :D

And death. Lots and lots of death.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 167