Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188064 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This place is just as insane as when last I looked at it, which was 4 game years (and several months) ago - what have you people been doing!

I can't even figure out why there are dwarf bodies randomly scattered around the place.

So, um, someone get me up to speed on the plan here.  Is there one?  I'm mildly tempted to try to deal with the entirety of the ghost problem since no one else seems willing to...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I think the basic plan is to drain Hell and bury the ghosts.  It's been a while though.  Good luck with whatever you can pull off, Oh squirrely one.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I keep crashing early.  Expect a progress report this weekend, and if i'm lucky (and my processor doesn't protest too much) a completed turn.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Need to sort through screenshots tonight, I'm still alive =P

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spring:
I have become endowed with purpose.  I am the Undertaker, and I will cleanse this mountain of the foul undead.  So it begins!

I notice there are demons in the depths still living.  Let them be for now, there is plenty to accomplish above.

We have received migrants.  It is good.  Three new workers for the cause.

And one of our craftsdwarfs has decided to craft something special.  I shudder to think what might be made under the influence of all that ghostly wailing.  I anticipate a fine item...

Or... not

Elves have arrived to trade, and thus ended spring.

(Notes: Mostly I'm slabbing ghosts away and trying to clear some of the crap that's scattered everywhere about the fortress.  Was hoping for a boring and productive turn, but as Summer will reveal, it was not to be).

Ug, i seem to have failed to get pictures of the excitement from early summer.  Well, next update should cover summer, with actual detail, even if there aren't pictures.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, short workday is short!

Summer:
We made the mistake of opening the doors for those damned elves. 

While their traders were stumbling into our humble abode, Urist McRunaka slipped out before I even noticed, babbling something about 'getting a drink'.  Turns out there was unforbidden booze dropped by a slain caravan somewhere out there.  The merchants got in without springing a single ambush, but our adventurous moron (the fortress booze was apparently too good for him...) sprung *3* of them.

Seeing as he outran them, i figured there was a chance the goblins would wander into our traps and run while he was getting his drink on (found and forbid the relevant booze...), but it wasn't to be - just as the goblins decided to start braving the traps he came running back to get peppered with arrows. 

But the stupidity wasn't over.  The goblins distracted from the entrance, one of our other fool dwarfs decided he had to go reset a cage trap, only to be discovered as the goblins came back to try again.  And because dwarves are *too stupid to go up stairs* when frightened, he tried to run out past the goblins to get away.  You deserved it Rridgway III.

So now I can't open the trap doors to let the goblins out to walk into our defenses (because our fool dwarves will find *something* to do outside), so they're stuck there until the next caravan comes...

Which means we're trapped inside with some claustrophobic elves.  Who i did not manage to trade with.  Did you realize we have (at least) 2 Trading Depots?  Whichever moron thought that was a good idea should be thrown to the goblins outside.  The elves prefer the one that *isn't* close to the door and that I didn't even notice...

(Seriously, I understand the setup works great for forgotten beasts, but its *awful* in situations where dwarves should want to go back into the fortress - they can't be scared away until they come down the stairs into that dreadfully short entrance corridor, and then they won't go back up the stairs.  This design *sucks*, *a lot*.  Not that I can even get outside to do some building and fix it...).

Oh, and we got more migrants... in the middle of the ambush nonsense.  Yeah, they didn't make it...

In what is likely grim foreboding, one of the amber demons in teh depths started kicking in doors and upending tables down below.  I wish he'd keep it down, I can't hear myself think.

And more grim foreboding, a number of animals have started to starve to death... I've ordered all teh remaining (non-cat) animals butchered to avoid wasting anymore food.

In positive news, work has begun on my mausoleum.  It shall be reasonable size (i don't think this fortress could accomplish anything larger!), but of grand design and construction.

Scaffolding still in place as the upper levels get hollowed out.

(And in a fit of irony, Udil 'Squirrelloid' Tunomzon, Undertaker was scared to death by a ghost on the 3rd of Malachite, shortly after the events described above.  Um, there goes my narrative).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Bwahahahaha! Glorious!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

I haven't finished reading the whole thing yet, but might I be placed in the turn list?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, um, not too long afterwards all the elven merchants and their *yak bulls* went berzerk.  All of them.  Thanks to the stupid trade depot they did use having *no walls*, i couldn't even lock them in.  I'm pretty sure this is a death blow for the fortress - even if by some miracle i can take down ~5 berzerk yak bulls (and elves), the death toll is going to be substantial, and likely result in an inescapable tantrum spiral (seeing as we're already on the brink of one because Urist McRunaka was well liked).

So, I can either start over, or we can declare my turn a failure and pass the old save to the next person...

(Doesn't even really feel like my fault.  Who builds a *second trade depot* with *no walls around it*?  The existing one was perfectly serviceable and easily locked away from the fortress...)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:34:15 pm by Squirrelloid »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

They did it to spite you! :P

I'd suggest reclaiming again if it dies. With those goblin ambushers outside, we'll have a good early defense against the horrors of the unknown depths. Until the next ambushers show up and they all turn on us...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Well, if the Squirrely One loses the fort, you'll be the one reclaiming it. Have Fun!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Oh crap...
I make Spellcrafts!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Now I suddenly hope that the curse goes for a vacation. Give others some time to reclaim this...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

See, this is why my standard policy was to lock the exterior hatches and yell "screw you" through the fortifications at any dwarf unlucky enough to be locked outside when the goblins came.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to know if Urist McRunaka the First was slain.
He was the embark's captain. xD

You wouldn't care about a dwarf that could outrun the goblins, Aussie?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:03:00 pm by Mapleguy555 »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 167