Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188887 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I think the most important question is thus; If we stuffed Aussie in a box, stuffed it underground and forgot about him for all eternity, would we be safe from the wrath of these forts, or would it be contagious like the self-throwing tomatoes?

The one I'm almost ready to share should be interesting.  It's specifically designed to be played as a reclaim

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

Damnit, all this SCP talk has got me reading them. It's late and I have an AP test in the morning that I need to be awake and alert for.

Screw you guys.

Also, this sounds familiar.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damnit, all this SCP talk has got me reading them. It's late and I have an AP test in the morning that I need to be awake and alert for.

Screw you guys.

Also, this sounds familiar.

Don't worry.  Read a few specific SCP's and you'll never want to sleep again.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn you guys! I have to work in 6 hrs. **continues reading** between Tropes, MSPA, and this...i'll be lucky to get two hrs of sleep a night if any :-/

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

It started raining and I shat bricks. I will not be getting any sleep tonight.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the most important question is thus; If we stuffed Aussie in a box, stuffed it underground and forgot about him for all eternity, would we be safe from the wrath of these forts, or would it be contagious like the self-throwing tomatoes?

No. What has been seen cannot be unseen. Likewise,
what has been played cannot be unplayed, 'cept through amnesia, and even that's not a sure way.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Hmm... is there a pattern here? Is your problem atomics related as well?

No.  And it can't be this fort's fault, because it's been going on for 3 months just without my knowledge.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile

No.  And it can't be this fort's fault, because it's been going on for 3 months just without my knowledge.

I'm glad to hear that it isn't atomics related, because the only major atomics related problem I can think of is cancer or radiation poisoning. That or new and sudden stress at your workplace near the red button. Whatever it is though, best of luck.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

I'm glad to hear that it isn't atomics related, because the only major atomics related problem I can think of is cancer or radiation poisoning. That or new and sudden stress at your workplace near the red button. Whatever it is though, best of luck.

It's not work related.  Relationship issues turned up to 11, and I'll leave it at that.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While we wait for Vehudur to take on the fort proper, need a bit of help.  I was hoping I'd managed to conceal all the essential behind-the-fun things in my new fort for when it's reclaimed (The DoomClock, the power generator, etc)  but it seems that they're quite visible due to the windmill used to prime the generator, even if I shift it along through some tunnels to try and offset that.  Should I just share it as-is and go "just ignore the quite visible DoomClock's location" or try to figure a way to make a better way to prime the generator remotely (by which I mean make a screwpump turn once.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Doom clock alone makes me both intriuged and scared.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I explained it a few days ago, but here it is again - I'm building (well, basically finished save this one problem) a fort suspended in an open carved-out chasm.  It has running water, magma and mechanical power, but it also has a countdown in the main control room.  If a dwarf isn't sacrificed off a pressure plate-rigged bridge about once every year-and-a-half at most, the DoomClock fills and triggers the supports that keep the fort safe and the whole thing collapses. 

By sharing it as a reclaim, I want to be able to hide the clock and the power generator as a kind of 'black box' affair for how the fort gets everything.  The problem is, I need a way to start the generator that powers the fort, and the clock (if I just leave it running from the aquifer, it might cause problems on when the reclaim starts), which I achieve with an windmill powering a single screwpump that starts the power. Basically "go in, pull this lever to start everything and have fun")

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

QFT.

While we wait for Vehudur to take on the fort proper, need a bit of help.  I was hoping I'd managed to conceal all the essential behind-the-fun things in my new fort for when it's reclaimed (The DoomClock, the power generator, etc)  but it seems that they're quite visible due to the windmill used to prime the generator, even if I shift it along through some tunnels to try and offset that.  Should I just share it as-is and go "just ignore the quite visible DoomClock's location" or try to figure a way to make a better way to prime the generator remotely (by which I mean make a screwpump turn once.)

I explained it a few days ago, but here it is again - I'm building (well, basically finished save this one problem) a fort suspended in an open carved-out chasm.  It has running water, magma and mechanical power, but it also has a countdown in the main control room.  If a dwarf isn't sacrificed off a pressure plate-rigged bridge about once every year-and-a-half at most, the DoomClock fills and triggers the supports that keep the fort safe and the whole thing collapses. 

By sharing it as a reclaim, I want to be able to hide the clock and the power generator as a kind of 'black box' affair for how the fort gets everything.  The problem is, I need a way to start the generator that powers the fort, and the clock (if I just leave it running from the aquifer, it might cause problems on when the reclaim starts), which I achieve with an windmill powering a single screwpump that starts the power. Basically "go in, pull this lever to start everything and have fun")

This sounds very dwarfy and awesome.

I'm still trying to get my bearings of the place - I have no idea what to do when I unpause or what needs done yet.

Also, what are the odds of the first engraving I look at being from MYSELF?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I water-locked the clock completely just for the fun of "DONT TAMPER WITH THIS!".  It's where the idea came from for it.

I'm going to try just letting the aquifer drain into the clock and see how that looks in a test-reclaim.  Having the generator visible doesn't spoil much.

edit:  Yup, that actually worked exactly how I wanted.  Dunno why I didn't do it in the first place.  No clock-sighting for ANYONE!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:22:17 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Could you dig into it and disable the mechanism after draining the water around it or would that be cheating?

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 167