Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188614 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #975 on: February 22, 2012, 08:27:51 pm »

I wonder if nether cap waterwheels can be powered by flowing magma?

You could create your very own aquaworks inside hell in order to pump the magma out of it. Huzzah!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 22, 2012, 08:30:01 pm »

You could create your very own aquaworks inside hell in order to pump the magma out of it. Huzzah!

Someone must do this. Nether caps are atually negative on the temp scale correct?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 22, 2012, 08:32:44 pm »

Tempted to try this myself, but I keep hearing that waterwheels just don't detect magma.  Though considering the changed flow rules in the new version, I might have to look into it again.

HiritconOvermindGibbross

• Bay Watcher
  • !Why is the rum gone?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 22, 2012, 11:40:51 pm »

If you don't hear form me bump me back down the list.

Edit:I'll be gone a few days. If not just this week end.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:11:53 pm by HiritconOvermindGibbross »
!!!THE WINE MUST FFFFLLLLOOOOWWWW!!!
Also Jesus loves you and wants to help you!
John 3:16-17 (New King James Version)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

If you have questions just ask.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:59 am »

I just checked, there's a hole in the wall of a magma pipe. It is now emptying into the quarry level. It would appear Mitch left a nice, big "SCREW YOU" to Noodz.

Spoiler: Dude... What the hell? (click to show/hide)

For Splint: Ab is currently detained in a small hole.

It would also seem that all other named dwarves are friends except for Mitch, Son of a Mitch and Squirreloid. Also, Eshtan, the legendary miner, is friends with Mego and Eric, a long-term aquaintance of Oliolli and a bit more than just friends with Urist McRunaka. We better protect these folks.

Journal of Oliolli
Part One: WTF, mates?

26th of Obsidian, 102

Today will be remembered as the day the worst headache in dwarven history begun.

Mitch just walked up to me and told me he no longer wants to run Swordthunders, so it is apparently my duty now. While he was at it, he gave me a small list of things to be done with the fort to make it great again. It only said "Empty hell of magma". At least it's clear what he wants... Though I have no idea how.

I checked around the fort again, to see what sorts of problems we're having. The quarry level is filling with magma, ghosts are evrywhere, the aquaworks are not functioning... And according to doctor Mego IV, one of the citizens has been struck with some sort of disease, causing hallucinations. Calls himself "Squirreloid" these days, claims to be the  overseer. According to Mego it's easiest to ignore him.

Maybe I should start with the aquaworks.

Well, I'll do what I can to get the aquaworks to function, as well as see if I could do something to stop the quarry level from filling. This won't be easy.

1st of Granite, 103

Urist McRunaka has completed a raw adamantine floodgate. Unfortunately it is not large enough to contain the magma.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

11th of Granite, 103

I have made stopping the flooding of the quarry my top priority. I could get it done relatively fast, if it weren't for Esthan and Mego spending all their time getting drunk, instead of mining...

16th of Granite, 103

Mego is back at work, and Operation HYLJE is finally seeing progress.

Eshtan, the better miner, has been doing the followng: Drink, On Break, Eat, On Break, Sleep, On Break

All she needs now is a party... Maybe she'll get married?

21st of Granite, 103

Due to Esthan's laziness, I have decided to grab a pick and go mining. Maybe then Operation HYLJE will actually get done. Alright, Mego is great at mining. Esthan on the other hand...

25th of Granite, 103

MadocComadrin, Khearn and Organum, all ancient members of the Masonic Order, have been put to rest.

1st of Slate, 103

My first full month is up. I feel like I've actually accomplished something, even though I haven't.

Operation HYLJE is a month, maybe two from completion. I really hope it works.

Very little happening, although I did only play a month. More coming. And yes, Esthan actually DID do all that stuff. Not a hyperbole.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 23, 2012, 08:49:36 pm »

So just HOW many artifacts have I made so far?
(Urist McRunaka)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 24, 2012, 12:53:30 am »

One in Squirreloid's hallucinations and one in my canon.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 24, 2012, 03:21:52 am »

I'm not sure if it's even possible for a dwarf to create more than one.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 24, 2012, 08:18:08 am »

It shouldn't be possible. But anyway, update.

Also, Mitch, why did you start flooding the magma pipe into the quarry level?

Journal of Oliolli
Part Two: HYLJE

4th of Slate, 103

A migrant has arrived. A blacksmith, who also has some experience with weaponsmithing and siege operating.

6th of Slate, 103

Esthun's actions are getting on my nerves. After drinking, eating, sleeping and spending time on break, she finally
decided to do some mining. Two plots of land later she decided she was thirsty again.

10th of Slate, 103

The aquaworks are functioning again. Operation HYLJE is a few mechanisms and the pull of a lever away from completion.
I have a good feeling about all this... What could possibly go wrong?

I have now also located where the power axle is broken. It will have to be fixed. This, of course, will not help at all if
Operation HYLJE doesn't work, as there is magma all over the quarry level.

15th of Slate, 103

Remember when I said that the only thing Eshtan would need for a full set of annoyances would be a party?

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)

Were Operation HYLJE still in a state that mining would be required, I would... I don't know what...

Also, it would seem more than just the blacksmith arrived as migrants, although I didn't notice it back then. Swordthunders
has a population of 30 these days.

24th of Slate, 103

Eshtan's party was... not a success. Only Mego and Cog, another friend of ours, attended, and apprently no drinks or
food were served, so Mego had to leave early. Eventually even Eshtan had to leave to get some food.

1st of Felsite, 103

Operation HYLJE was...

Spoiler: A SUCCESS (click to show/hide)

I basically had a large block of stone dropped onto the leaky point from 100 levels above.

Another month, another feeling of success despite very little getting done.

Well, things seem to be going well, even if it is due to uneventfulness. Now to make the fort Eric-proof...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:21:16 am by Oliolli »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 24, 2012, 08:22:04 am »

What exactly did your project do?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 24, 2012, 09:54:00 am »

I basically had a large block of stone dropped onto the leaky point from 100 levels above.

I dropped a 1x1x2 block of stone onto the leaky point, leaving a wall, blocking the magma flow.

Plan B would have been to re-route the river down to the quarry level, hopefully obsidianizing some of the magma leaking there.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:56:02 am by Oliolli »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:00 am »

Terribly sorry for disappearing.  I have an eye infection., It makes looking at my monitor painful.  I hope you've moved on.  Blarg, -Squirrelloid

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 24, 2012, 07:05:10 pm »

Also, Mitch, why did you start flooding the magma pipe into the quarry level?

It was like that when I got there, I just didn't fix it because it wasn't hurting anything.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 24, 2012, 08:36:01 pm »

Terribly sorry for disappearing.  I have an eye infection., It makes looking at my monitor painful.  I hope you've moved on.  Blarg, -Squirrelloid

It happens, Squirrel no problem.  Want me to put you on the end of the list for another turn?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 25, 2012, 02:18:37 am »

The amount of magma that had flown out suggested it was quite recent. Or then all the magma simply evaporated...

Anyway, it's fixed now.

Journal of Oliolli
Part Three: Elves, goblins and batmen

9th of Felsite, 103

Apparently, we have some trapped forgotten beasts around here somewhere. Something has to be done about them. I'm considering just dropping them into the magma sea.

10th of Felsite, 103

Forget that plan. The hole they are in is too close to the cavern to acually work. In addition, a tribe of betmen reside so close to the beast-trap, that work around there is nearly impossible.

17th of Felsite, 103

The elves have arrived to trade. We'll see what happens...

20th of Felsite, 103

I had the door to the trade depot locked. I don't want to make rash decisions about how to handle these folks...

22nd of Felsite, 103

It would seem some goblins have noticed Son of a Mitch, who turned eight months old yesterday. A snatcher was already caught by a cage trap next to the main entrance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st of Hematite, 103

Summer has arrived, and it would seem nothing really interesting happened during the entire month.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:07:03 am by Oliolli »

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 167