Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188890 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #870 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:20 pm »

Leader... of Destiny!
-----------------------
Life under the elves wasn't that bad.  Sleeping on grass, drinking their faerie drinks, watching them consume the blood of their enemies...

Ok, I lied, it was fucking awful.

Still, when the rumors came to us that Swordthunders had been reclaimed, my first reaction was an involuntary shudder.  There were things worse than elves in the world, after all.  And Swordthunders was legendary.  It had taken a red hot poker and shoved it up the ass of those things, causing Armok himself to strike it down. 

Faced with the choice of certain doom or sleeping on grass, I chose to sleep on grass.  I'm a practical dwarf.  But some of my fellow slaves snuck off to Swordthunders.  And at least one of them made it.

I know it because they sent dwarves back for me.  For me! 

Don't look at me like that.

Let me explain.  Like any proper dwarven fortress, Swordthunder is covered in carvings.  Many of these are exactly what you'd expect - records of history - but as Swordthunders descended into chaos and madness in its final days some moron handed a seer a chisel.  Anyway, they found a prophecy, that the true heir of the kings had a birthmark in the shape of a hammer.

So our escaped fellows finally stumble into Swordthunders and become aware of the prophecy, and one of them recalls a dwarf with a birthmark shaped like a hammer.  Yes, that's right, me.  Lucky for them the elves don't clothe us, isn't it?

So anyway, there's a small group beyond the ridge over there waiting for me.  King of all dwarves.  Its like I've got a retarded faerie godmother - you get to be king, but your kingdom is fucking cursed and a cesspit of misery.  Hell on earth. 

What am I going to do?  What else am I going to do?  Better to be King in Hell than server in Heaven and all that... and this isn't Heaven by a long shot.

You're right, I should get going.... I'm just... I'm going to miss the soft grass...

Fuck it.  I'm out of here.  I'll burn some elves in Magma for you boys.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 08, 2012, 08:03:38 pm »

And then the real king arrives.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #872 on: February 08, 2012, 08:05:38 pm »

Dead dead dead.

So very dead.

So very sincerely dead, and utterly absolutely dead!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 08, 2012, 08:39:48 pm »

Oh dear.  Given my fort's history, that birthmark's gonna turn out to represent "the guy who gets his head beaten in with a hammer by a ghost".  So many ghosts....

I AM the King.  Duly elected by deed and mischief.  If another shows up, I do hope a throneroom with "running water" is set up for him.  Aquifers are such tricky things, after all...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 08, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »

Swordthunders ass-raped hell with a red hot fire poker? I figure it would have been with cave ins and a masterwork adamantine spear menacing with spikes of demon soap.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 08, 2012, 10:12:47 pm »

Especially the farting ghosts.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 08, 2012, 10:23:13 pm »

Swordthunders ass-raped hell with a red hot fire poker? I figure it would have been with cave ins and a masterwork adamantine spear menacing with spikes of demon soap.

I always saw it as more as an utter barehanded beatdown, myself.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 08, 2012, 10:28:43 pm »

You were expecting something other than a tragedy?  From Swordthunders?

My avatar in the game may well be insane.  Bwahahaha.  It may well be a shared delusion, at least until some other pretender to the throne shows up.  Then i expect entertainment to ensue.

Update with actual game content at some point.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 08, 2012, 10:31:11 pm »

You know the real tragedy of the fort?  If this was the new version (whenever it comes out) , Doren and Shen might've turned up amongst the migrants.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 08, 2012, 11:23:22 pm »

You know the real tragedy of the fort?  If this was the new version (whenever it comes out) , Doren and Shen might've turned up amongst the migrants.

Ok, because I haven't read through the WHOLE thread (bits and pieces when I remember) someone's gonna have to explain who these dorfs are.

And barehanded probably isn't right. Maybe with boxing gloves wrapped in barbed wire and salt glued to them to make it hurt more. And a super dense hammer for good measure. Also wrapped in barbed wire. With salt.

....I like salt. STOP STARING AT ME.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 08, 2012, 11:29:51 pm »

Nope, you have to go read through the whole original thread.  :P  It's no fun otherwise.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 08, 2012, 11:55:50 pm »

I have to ask, but wtf is wrong with the tileset?  Its not default, but it doesn't seem to be graphical either...

Edit: Better question: How do i fix this.  Random accented vowels for rock wall is really annoying.

Edit Edit: Ug, someone went through and manually changed the tile definitions of rock layers?  I suppose i can try just pasting the normal raws in and see if that works...

Edit^3: Oh thank god that worked.  My eyes can stop bleeding.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:13:35 am by Squirrelloid »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 09, 2012, 12:12:40 am »

I have to ask, but wtf is wrong with the tileset?  Its not default, but it doesn't seem to be graphical either...

Edit: Better question: How do i fix this.  Random accented vowels for rock wall is really annoying.

I wondered that myself.... Might be the version difference. I noticed saves from 0.31.18 tend to look a bit... wonky in .25.

Also no-one ever answered me a few days back when i joined in: Was Ab a big-shot and is it a big deal my D-Day attack killed him?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 09, 2012, 12:45:56 am »

Edit Edit: Ug, someone went through and manually changed the tile definitions of rock layers?  I suppose i can try just pasting the normal raws in and see if that works...

The tileset I used with Swordthunders is Ironhand 0.57.  It's probably blending with whatever you're using for a cornucopia of psycodelia

I wondered that myself.... Might be the version difference. I noticed saves from 0.31.18 tend to look a bit... wonky in .25.
Swordthunders was only ever 0.31.25

Also no-one ever answered me a few days back when i joined in: Was Ab a big-shot and is it a big deal my D-Day attack killed him?

Who, or what, is Ab?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:47:50 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 09, 2012, 12:48:02 am »

The tileset I used with Swordthunders is Ironhand 0.57.  It's probably blending with whatever you're using for a cornucopia of psycodelia

I don't use any graphical mods at all.  They all look like gibberish to me =P
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 167