Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188773 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Mitch; Reclaim King

Chapter Eleven: Revenge of the Spectral Shit

I won't say we're the 'Remainder' of the dwarfs anymore; another dwarven caravan has arrived. Plus we're getting migrants. Somewhere out there, we still live.

16th Timber:

I withdrew from society; I am under the spell of a secretive mood. Already a legendary stone crafter; in your face Oliolli! My mood is better!

I'm ignoring the caravan. We are free from want, such is the boon of a reclaim. Besides, there is no way I'm taking haulers away from their regular duties.

21st Timber:

The outpost liaison tells me to re-take hell's villas, for god-knows reason.

1st Obsidian:

My my, that was quite a large jump in time. In all fairness, not much happened. Right up until now; I have found a way to pump magma out of hell.

We just repeat this method for every free'd level. I had an alternative; in the corners are sections of walk-able perimeter, and I was going to dig through to the bottom and pierce holes in the walls so magma seems through to the outside of the walls, though they seem to be blocked off by a mysterious black fog.

But before I can finish my project, my reign ends. I am disappointed that after many attempts and brainstorms, my one successful method shall go unfulfilled by myself. I am however, glad I managed to survive not one year, but a year and a half. Unprecedented!

Here it is. The first successful reclaim of Swordthunders; don't make us have to re-reclaim it.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Whaddya know, you will drain the magma off the edge of the map after all.  Just remember to keep a militia squad near the breach until the fortification's in place.  Otherwise it could potentially end badly hilariously

Now we just need the adamantine smiley done :))

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile

PMed Nodz
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

OP has been updated with the current savegame and details of Mitchewawa's achievements.

PMed Nodz

I think you mean Noodz.  If there is a Nodz he'll be very surprised to have been volunteered, I suspect.

edit:  I PM'ed Noodz and gave him the link to the savegame, so now we play the waiting game.  Oh, as you came in blind to the reclaim, how'd you find Swordthunders, Mitchewawa?  Also meant to ask;  Did you manage to locate the Checkerboard?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:51:32 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I did see the original Checkerboard at the start of the thread. I think I posted on the first page. I just didn't follow the oncoming community/succession fort you guys turned it into. And yes, I found the Checkerboard. It's half filled with obsidian and half overgrown with trees.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The original one wasn't a succession fort, it was more of a "hey guys, check out what I just did to Hell!" fort.  That and I forcibly dwarfed bay12'ers as masons building the walls around the perimeter of hell.  They know what they did to deserve it...

edit:  I just took a look at the savegame for schnitzengiggles and all I can say is this; "Wow".  Also "what?... why?... how did THAT happen?!"

edit2: Figured out how to restart the Aquaworks, if anyone wants to use it to power something:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:15:55 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everything can be stopped with the application of more lava in the right place.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except FPS Death.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except FPS Death.

- Gather an entire z level of socks and other lag-causing clutter, melt it.
- Use it with water to create walls to block laggy pathing.
- Use it to melt down entire sieges or swathes of pets.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:24:31 am by Mitchewawa »

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*waits patiently for his turn*

I for one think I will make a great overseer. I promise to acomplish the following: Move the trade depot to the middle of nowhere, starting a war with the elves, building a throneroom for myself with a retracting bridge over a shaft leading to hell (for those pesky nobles or people who want to go skydiving), execute half of the workforce in paranoia, let three forgotten beasts in then sealed them in the mines with liberal application of water, and attempt to build a giant water cannon that sucks demons up from hell to shoot them at elves, all while making hell an attractive beachside villa. (that shoots demons and hosts the bottom of a death shaft.)

Archereon/Archereon for Swordthunders Overseer of (whatever year I'm supposed to take over in)!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:43:29 am by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*waits patiently for his turn*

I for one think I will make a great overseer. I promise to acomplish the following: Move the trade depot to the middle of nowhere, starting a war with the elves, building a throneroom for myself with a retracting bridge over a shaft leading to hell (for those pesky nobles or people who want to go skydiving), execute half of the workforce in paranoia, let three forgotten beasts in then sealed them in the mines with liberal application of water, and attempt to build a giant water cannon that sucks demons up from hell to shoot them at elves, all while making hell an attractive beachside villa. (that shoots demons and hosts the bottom of a death shaft.)

Archereon/Archereon for Swordthunders Overseer of (whatever year I'm supposed to take over in)!

I beat you to most of that with the original fortress.  Though the release chambers of the water cannon are currently being used as stockpiles, I noticed.  I didn't declare war on the Elves, though I did consider it before I realised the dwarf civ was extinct.

Of course, that just means you'll have to come up with more extravagant insanity when your turn comes. 

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure where to go from there. Though adapting the water cannon to shoot demons, and somehow making a system where little dwarven children can, for ridiculously overpriced admission tickets, point and laugh as the horrors of the underworld are sucked up a physics defying water shaft and shot at elves, is something that, to my knowledge, has never been done before.

It'd be like Disneyland: A combination theme park and beach side resort located in the middle of hell!
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Noodz just PM'ed me to say he wasn't up for a turn, so I'm messaging Sniken now.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I forgot to mention. In the corners of hell lies layers of coffins walled off. In the reclaim, I tried to remove the walls, dig down into it and open up a wall at the bottom (to release magma to the outside). However, the physics of sight seems to be broken in Swordthunders:

When I press 'q', the coffin inside shows up. In the dark. I've tried de-constructing it, but no dwarf can path to it apparently (despite it being right the fuck there). I even removed some of the walls around the southern coffin:

Now I have a theory as to why this is happening; you guys locked some sort of sight-stealing demon in there who feeds on the confusion of overseers (I don't know for sure because I didn't follow the thread). Anyway, I have an idea. I'm going to do my own side-line science, I'll turn on dfreveal and see what happens.

E: Nope, I can see the coffins now but the dwarfs will not path to them. The only thing I've ever seen like this is messing around with dfliquids in that dwarfs wont path to tiles in which you dfliquided the magma/water away. I've never seen it before, but maybe the effect on reclaiming these glitchy spots blocks vision too.

If not, I'm stumped.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:35:15 pm by Mitchewawa »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually the reason they're there is because I did what all great overlords do; I entombed the slave labour into the walls when they died.  Well the bay12'ers, anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 167