Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188427 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #345 on: December 16, 2011, 05:00:22 pm »

Wow...Seeing what happened to you guys...I'm wondering how the hell I managed to reclaim the fortress...I actually almost lost once to a goblin ambush, but DF crashed I was forced to continue from a save prior to the ambush.

I think I must be really lucky.

No, we're just hopelessly reckless and incompetent :D

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 16, 2011, 05:59:45 pm »

I claim temporary insanity. When my avatar in the fort died, I threw a bit of a tantrum and since I couldn't start a fist fight with any of the dwarves myself, I made Esp do it for me. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. <_<
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 16, 2011, 08:27:27 pm »

Just so you guys know, everyzig's ghost is a psycho. He tried to kill my militia commander, but failed.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 16, 2011, 08:38:13 pm »

I'll go PM Mapleguy.... Mapleguy555 has been informed that it's his turn to try and assault the fortress

I've also updated the kill tally for an additional seven dwarves.  Out of curiosity, why'd you go in with marksdwarves, Keldane?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:43:59 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 16, 2011, 09:30:02 pm »

Because I said speardwarves and obviously nobody listens to the one guy who sucessfully reclaimed the fortress...

No just kidding, and no offense to anyone. I actually thought of using marksdwarves since you can get them their gear for free by adding the ambusher skill, but I ultimately decided on speardwarves after hearing the tale of Asax the Cave Swallow man. (since speardwarves are the best melee fighters to deploy against megabeasts). Apparently marksdwarves wasn't that good of an idea.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #350 on: December 16, 2011, 09:45:50 pm »

Archereon, you're looking at experienced DF players, so we're going to do everything but speardwarves, and deliberately choose the most violent and ridiculous solution possible :P

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 16, 2011, 10:00:48 pm »

Archereon, you're looking at experienced DF players, so we're going to do everything but speardwarves, and deliberately choose the most violent and ridiculous solution possible :P

I... have to agree.  I did sigh for a bit at the crazy attempts, but I've realised they're more fun.  Anyone can reclaim a FB-infested fortress with speardwarves.  It takes Bay12-crazy to reclaim it with a random assortment of craftsdwarves.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 16, 2011, 10:10:49 pm »

I know, I know...It's just that everyone dying horribly within a month and forcing a new reclaim is getting a bit stale. It would be fun if it happened in new and interesting ways, but everyone embarking, getting mauled by forgotten beasts, then dying...
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #353 on: December 16, 2011, 10:23:20 pm »

I know, I know...It's just that everyone dying horribly within a month and forcing a new reclaim is getting a bit stale. It would be fun if it happened in new and interesting ways, but everyone embarking, getting mauled by forgotten beasts, then dying...

Well then we've just got to try that little bit harder :P

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 16, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »

Archereon, I don't think you quite understand the definition of Fun.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 16, 2011, 10:33:16 pm »

It's !FUN!, but not funny. Now if the dwarves all had their kidneys stolen by a ghost wIth a kidney fetish and died of blood poisoning, that would be !FUN! and funny.
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #356 on: December 16, 2011, 10:40:36 pm »

...But it has happened D:

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 16, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »

Really?
It was inevitable.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 17, 2011, 01:04:50 am »

I actually went with Hunters, since I remembered that having Ambusher as a dwarf's highest non-military skill was supposed to have them show up with leather armor, a crossbow, bolts, and a quiver. I thought that that would give me suitable instant defense - no need to grab equipment if they start with it in hand - as a precaution against a skulking FB appearing next to the wagon the moment I embarked. I think I managed to screw that up somehow, though.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 17, 2011, 01:46:01 am »

EDIT2:

Journal of Urist "Maple" McRunaka the First, Reclaim 1
We finally got our supplies together as it is. One of the dwarves said the great fortress was to the right, but I said it was to the left. However, my authority was usurped that once. When we arrived, we found ourselves on an empty meadow. We cursed and headed back to the mountainhomes...

Ok, so, now we've gone the right way this time, but for some reason, these guards aren't letting us out of the gate. Something about crashes somewhat. We'll try again later.

*FACEPALM*

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:07:06 am by Mapleguy555 »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 167