Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188641 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #285 on: December 13, 2011, 12:07:28 am »

So is my writing good?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 13, 2011, 12:12:01 am »

It's excellent. I may have you write my journal entries in Hellcannon from now on.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 13, 2011, 12:13:36 am »

Oh thanks  :D. I'd be happy to write your Hellcannon journal entries, though I may embellish a bit on character motivations (since dwarves usually don't think very much about what they're doing.)
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 13, 2011, 12:46:09 am »

That was partially a joke. It always takes me a while to write up a good journal entry.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 13, 2011, 01:49:53 pm »

Mego III is dead, as are the rest. I attempted a full rush to defeat the forgotten beast in the hospital, as much because no winter migrant wave came as anything else. It seems that the combat prompted the beast to stop the strangulation and make with the biting and the injecting of venom.

So the attempt has failed once more. This means it is now officially my turn, and I shall be launching my own reclaim attempt shortly, pending the answer to one question: May I attempt it with extra dwarves, and if so, how many?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 13, 2011, 01:59:55 pm »

I feel like such a boss for managing to reclaim Swordthunders on my first try (I was forced to savescum once because DF crashed, though my two speardorfs had already taken down 3 forgotten beasts, including sox)
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #291 on: December 13, 2011, 02:00:49 pm »

the strawberry shaft

Which is a 70 z-level drop into magma.

you can try going through the flooded obsidianised magma corridors that wind through the forgotten beast and ghost infested hallways.

That end up in a magma'd pit-house.

The strawberry shaft is open to the caverns. Flying forgotten beasts, anyone?

Enjoy.

I hope you know that was my horrible attempt at humour? :P

Besides, the strawberry shaft seems to be the safest route for now, if we can build some stairs down...

I thought you guys picked a different Dwarf Civ for the reclaim?  Also, keep in mind the world's only about 100 years old, so could that affect the lack of a King/Queen?

I'm pretty certain I did, though there was only one civ select option.

You *always* get migrants.

Now, a caravan, especially with a liaison, implies an active dwarven civ somewhere.  (I've run a fort in a world with no surviving dwarven civ.  Migrants i got.  Even a caravan.  No caravan liaison though.)

Not *always*, the first two waves yeah, but if your dwarves are gone...

They're gone.

I feel like such a boss for managing to reclaim Swordthunders on my first try (I was forced to savescum once because DF crashed, though my two speardorfs had already taken down 3 forgotten beasts, including sox)

You did learn from the mistakes that arose from 20 pages of failure.....

Ah DF, how you hate me so...

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 13, 2011, 02:17:10 pm »

Mego III is dead, as are the rest. I attempted a full rush to defeat the forgotten beast in the hospital, as much because no winter migrant wave came as anything else. It seems that the combat prompted the beast to stop the strangulation and make with the biting and the injecting of venom.

So the attempt has failed once more. This means it is now officially my turn, and I shall be launching my own reclaim attempt shortly, pending the answer to one question: May I attempt it with extra dwarves, and if so, how many?

Now now, normal numbers of dwarves, just like everyone else =)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #293 on: December 13, 2011, 02:24:09 pm »

I second this notion. Though how do you change the amount of embark dwarves? This intrigues me plenty.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2011, 02:32:29 pm »

What about starting with extra dwarves? I asked before, but no one replied. =P
If it's in the vanilla game, you can.  If it's something in the raws, well... I might say yes to this if Mego's attempt fails.
I'm waiting on Aussie to make the final call, and I do see which way the wind is blowing. =P

As for how it's done, I believe the current version of DF Hack has a way to do it. Failing that, the method I'm familiar with involves using HexEdit to modify the .exe, as described in this thread.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 13, 2011, 02:44:29 pm »

I feel sad. A member of my fortress has suffered the worst fate known to dwarfkind: A ruined liver. Even if he survives (not likely considering he had an infection before we could ever get to dressing his wounds) the poor dwarf will never drink again!
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #296 on: December 13, 2011, 02:45:43 pm »

I feel sad. A member of my fortress has suffered the worst fate known to dwarfkind: A ruined liver. Even if he survives (not likely considering he had an infection before we could ever get to dressing his wounds) the poor dwarf will never drink again!

Silly Achereon. Everyone knows a dwarf keeps his secondary liver in his brain!

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 13, 2011, 02:51:43 pm »

Damnit, I'm a Doctor (of engineering), not a Doctor!
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #298 on: December 13, 2011, 02:52:44 pm »

Damnit, I'm a Doctor (of engineering), not a Doctor!

Do you have an appointment? >:P

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 13, 2011, 03:08:11 pm »

Maybe...

But maybe not...

Btw, my beekeeper is walking around, but it says he has an infection? Anything I can do for him?
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 167