Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188239 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »

I currently have no plan for getting dwarves inside the fortress. They can't fight well, so the FB's will slaughter them. There are two dwarves with any fighting skill. One is a dabbling speardwarf, and the other is a gigantic blister. With no pick, I can't just mine into the fortress from Migrantopia, and I can't chop down any trees, because none of them have axes. One of the two that the original reclaim group brought is in the orgy pile, and the other is too close to the other 2 FB's to be able to get without attracting unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2011, 08:28:08 pm »

I currently have no plan for getting dwarves inside the fortress. They can't fight well, so the FB's will slaughter them. There are two dwarves with any fighting skill. One is a dabbling speardwarf, and the other is a gigantic blister. With no pick, I can't just mine into the fortress from Migrantopia, and I can't chop down any trees, because none of them have axes. One of the two that the original reclaim group brought is in the orgy pile, and the other is too close to the other 2 FB's to be able to get without attracting unwanted attention.

Any ideas?

Warren them all in Migrantopia, save for one.  Tell that one he's a miner or woodcutter and cross your fingers.  Oh and forbid the axe near the FB's.  You might get lucky and he'll find one laying around somewhere inside that isn't near the FB's. 

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2011, 09:11:37 pm »

Spartan Rush that one dwarf from Aussie's idea. Run into fort, and look for an axe.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2011, 11:16:13 pm »

Any ideas?

Warren them all in Migrantopia, save for one.  Tell that one he's a miner or woodcutter and cross your fingers.  Oh and forbid the axe near the FB's.  You might get lucky and he'll find one laying around somewhere inside that isn't near the FB's.

The FB's are at the entrance to the fort.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2011, 12:04:57 am »

Set up a carpenter's shop and make a chair. Designate a dwarf as record keeper and assign the chair to him and let him get busy inventorying things. This will takes months, so have the rest set about securing migrantopia with walls or whatever is needed. Then get food/booze making set up and wait for the inventory. While sitting in his little chair, he'll figure out where everything is and you'll then be able to find the picks and axes without having to go explore. It'll be boring, but as safe as you can make migrantopia.

BTW, care to describe what migrantopia is like? Or maybe a screenshot or two?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2011, 12:09:27 am »

If you can make a wood chair, you can make a training axe and chop wood with that.

Screenshots or a description of available resources would help with a plan of action more.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2011, 01:08:40 am »

Migrantopia is a 5x5 burrow where I assigned all the migrants and their two animals. It's on the far southeast of the map, a few z-levels above the entrance level (ground floor) of the fortress. The migrants came with only clothes and animals, so there's no pick/anvil/axe to do stuff with. There is an axe, a warhammer, some assorted bloodstained clothes, a dwarven corpse, and a ghost about 10 squares and 1 z-level from the two FB's that are waiting outside the fortress entrance. All other items are inside the fort.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2011, 04:45:02 am »

ok, draft one dwarf, preferably the one with the most animals, and send him or her to distract the FBs.  Send a second dwarf to get the axe.

If possible, have the drafted dwarf approach the FBs obliquely so they don't come closer to migrantopia.  And give them a blank uniform so they don't try to pick anything up in teh fortress (ug?)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2011, 08:10:26 am »

ok, draft one dwarf, preferably the one with the most animals, and send him or her to distract the FBs.  Send a second dwarf to get the axe.

If possible, have the drafted dwarf approach the FBs obliquely so they don't come closer to migrantopia.  And give them a blank uniform so they don't try to pick anything up in teh fortress (ug?)

I will be implementing this plan later today. I had considered a decoy before, but I didn't want to lose any dwarves. But, it seems that's the only option. Hopefully the animals will look more enticing.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2011, 08:53:50 am »

I will be implementing this plan later today. I had considered a decoy before, but I didn't want to lose any dwarves. But, it seems that's the only option. Hopefully the animals will look more enticing.

Just an idea that might buy you a little extra time - Set up a second warren with just the animals well away from the FB's.  Use a drafted dwarf to lead them to said animals and give the rest a chance to get inside the fortress.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:14:44 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2011, 11:08:05 am »

Have you tried entering the fort from the hole I made in the resevoir? It has a door leading inside the fort if I remember correctly

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2011, 01:59:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2011, 07:38:07 pm »

Have you tried entering the fort from the hole I made in the resevoir? It has a door leading inside the fort if I remember correctly

Umm... No comment. I haven't found that yet

You, sir, are getting dwarfed for this great thing you have shared with us.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2011, 07:48:07 pm »

You, sir, are getting dwarfed for this great thing you have shared with us.

It's from the Order of the Stick. Be prepared to spend a few hours if you start at the beginning, but it's definitely worth the time.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2011, 11:44:46 pm »

Considering all the !!Fun!! that's happened, I'll give you one little hint that may help in keeping the dwarves alive

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 167