Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188440 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #270 on: December 12, 2011, 06:30:42 pm »

Oh...uuuhhhh...Hmmm...
That's not good then...
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 12, 2011, 06:34:28 pm »

Oh...uuuhhhh...Hmmm...
That's not good then...

Not necessarily. One of my current forts has no king or general, yet migrants show up. And keep showing up.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 12, 2011, 07:49:35 pm »

You *always* get migrants.

Now, a caravan, especially with a liaison, implies an active dwarven civ somewhere.  (I've run a fort in a world with no surviving dwarven civ.  Migrants i got.  Even a caravan.  No caravan liaison though.)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 12, 2011, 08:03:33 pm »

Well, I got a liason. Looks like there's an active dwarf civilization without a king or a general. My money's on a communist revolution; how else do you explain the lack of an economy of DF2010?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2011, 08:13:04 pm »

Dwarf Bucks, sir.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 12, 2011, 08:32:11 pm »

I was expecting "magic"

*snort snort*

Or at least some explanation involving wizards. Who did magic.
It was inevitable.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2011, 09:28:31 pm »

Clearly, magnets and giant sentient blisters.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2011, 09:32:19 pm »

Umm...Everyone...I think dwarves may be extinct in this world. I just checked the only available civ in settling mode, and there was no king or general. I think that's a problem...A big problem.

Btw: As soon as someone makes it down into hell, the dorfs should be like "Oy gitz, wutz dis wall doin' 'ere?" (wait no, Dorfs aren't Orks, silly me...) and unseal the walls keeping the demons at bay.

If this is true, Mego's save is already screwed.

I thought you guys picked a different Dwarf Civ for the reclaim?  Also, keep in mind the world's only about 100 years old, so could that affect the lack of a King/Queen?

You *always* get migrants.

Now, a caravan, especially with a liaison, implies an active dwarven civ somewhere.  (I've run a fort in a world with no surviving dwarven civ.  Migrants i got.  Even a caravan.  No caravan liaison though.)

No it doesn't.  Swordthunders wound up with no migrants, just a caravan and liaison.  And considering the game gens a new liason every time they leave the map, it was quite likely that the dwarf caravan and liaison were the only non-fortress dwarves left in the world.  I started in year 30-ish and by the mid-50's I'd killed about 900 dwarves through various shenanigans and accidents.  I don't know how many are genned at the start of the world, but I'm fairly certain I drove that dwarf civ to extinction
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:36:24 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 12, 2011, 09:40:39 pm »

I killed about 900 dwarves

And now they are back with a vengeance, eating our framerates and shitting steam. Go figure that one out.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 12, 2011, 09:42:58 pm »

I killed about 900 dwarves

And now they are back with a vengeance, eating our framerates and shitting steam. Go figure that one out.

Hey! HEEEEY!  I entombed and memorialized about... 800-850-ish of them!  At the time Swordthunders was abandoned, there were 44 active ghosts.  The corpses you lot are counting either include the entombed ones or the general remains of things that lost an argument with Doren or Shen.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 12, 2011, 10:04:37 pm »

Aussie: Any idea what the civ you embarked with was called? I picked the only available civ, though that might be the only available one because you wiped out the other civ. If that's so, that my writing will have some extra goodies, surprises, and fun. Want to see some of the stuff I've gotten down so far?
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 12, 2011, 10:36:50 pm »

Oh, here's a sample from my write up of my reclaim.

Today I witnessed one of the most profound displays of dwarven stupidity it has ever been my misfortune to experience.
The story starts on one of many rainy mornings in Malachite. I was working on a headstone for one of the countless ghosts wandering our halls when I heard screaming from somewhere inside the fort. Now, in Swordthunders, screaming is nothing out of the ordinary; beyond the tormented howls of the spirits within the fortress proper, there’s the occasional scream when somewhere awakens from sleep only to see a translucent bleeding corpse floating above them, sees a floating axe stalking them, or when a ghostly white hand suddenly surges through the finely prepared fish they were about to eat and attempts to strangle them (that last instance comes from personal experience). Of course, it’s never wise to ignore screaming, especially considering the fact that the bleeding corpse, floating axe, or ghostly hands suddenly behave as if they have substance. Beyond the ghosts, there are any number of horrors that could be lurking within Swordthunders proper, and one must not forget the even present threat of goblins. Regardless, I should have responded more quickly. I took my time climbing the hill I came to regret this as soon as I could see over the crest of the hill between New Swordthunders and Swordthunders proper.

Two of my dwarves, Adan and Sodel, respectively a miner and a farmer, were running for their lives from a massive creature, which later came to be known as Ab Musoostrot, made of what appeared to be amber. The beast’s emaciated body rode about ten dwarves high atop four spindly legs, between which there was a think trunk bearing what I hope was a stinger. For a moment, I was paralyzed with fear; what few traps we had were not the sort that would work against such a creature, and the idea of two dwarves and a trio of war dogs standing against it seemed laughable. Yet Swordthunders could not afford to fall; another reclamation attempt was well beyond the means of the Mountainhome, and without its vast wealth, Irlomomon would surely fall to the elves or the goblins. Hardening myself in anticipation of imminent tragedy, I spoke an order to the speardwarves:
“To arms sons of Irlomomon, To arms! Hold the line, no matter the cost, for the Mountainhomes and all of dwarfkind are counting on us!”

Of course, as it turned out, amber is not a particularly sturdy material, a weakness that was compounded by the beast’s awkward anatomy. I scold myself, a trained physician, to this day for not realizing this immediately. The fight was short and brutal. The creature didn’t even have time to use its stinger before Zaneg, one of the speardwarves, had taken out the creature’s legs with a sweep of her spear. As it staggered to its feet, the hounds tackled it, shredding through its delicate torso. While the creature thrashed about for nearly an hour, it finally fell to a savage blow from Zaneg’s spear, which impaled it from the bottom up. In the end, the only injuries were bruised extremities. Now this might sound like a story of dwarven martial prowess rather than dwarven stupidity, but bear with me, I still haven’t explained why Ab Musoostrot was after Adan and Sodel. Apparently, the pair had decided that when I decreed that plump helmets were appropriate to eat, that it was a good idea to plunder the unexplored ruins of Swordthunders for food, rather than the three or so barrels of helmets at the entrance to the new Fortress. When the first told me this I laughed and demanded that they tell me the real reason the beast was after them; had they been trying to claim some portion of the fortress’ treasure for themselves? Apparently not; I had the both of them thoroughly searched, and neither was carrying something that hadn’t been accounted for in the record books. I am once again amazed by the depths of our kind’s capacity for utter stupidity.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:39:24 pm by Archereon »
It was inevitable.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 12, 2011, 10:50:14 pm »

I thought you were starting your own thread.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 12, 2011, 10:50:39 pm »

I was, but I don't have enough written down to post yet, just trying to get some initial critique.
It was inevitable.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 12, 2011, 11:47:12 pm »

All of your stories so far are enough for getting a thread of your own started. If you have epic dorfy stories like that, you'll gain a following.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 167