Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188395 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #255 on: December 12, 2011, 01:37:27 pm »

Hmm, where exactly is the shaft into hell?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #256 on: December 12, 2011, 01:55:08 pm »

Hmm, where exactly is the shaft into hell?

You can take the strawberry shaft, or you can try going through the flooded obsidianised magma corridors that wind through the forgotten beast and ghost infested hallways.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 12, 2011, 02:30:34 pm »

The strawberry shaft is open to the caverns. Flying forgotten beasts, anyone?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 12, 2011, 02:30:55 pm »

the strawberry shaft

Which is a 70 z-level drop into magma.

you can try going through the flooded obsidianised magma corridors that wind through the forgotten beast and ghost infested hallways.

That end up in a magma'd pit-house.

The strawberry shaft is open to the caverns. Flying forgotten beasts, anyone?

Enjoy.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 12, 2011, 02:40:20 pm »

Hey Mego, I think you'll be glad to hear your ghost has been "put to rest." It was stalking my speardwarves so I exorcised you.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 12, 2011, 03:20:35 pm »

I've opted to just continue and wait for migrants. They arrived at some point in Autumn, while Mego languished in bed, being strangled relentlessly by a forgotten beast. Since then, we've lost two - Fath Olontilesh was struck down on the 25th of Sandstone, and Imush Akamgeshud bled to death on the 27th,  both sacrificing themselves while combating Vemini Omethurofa.

The current status:

Ghosts prevented the construction of a carpenter's workshop by standing all over it (they're intangible! Who cares if they're in the way!?), so I built another nearby. They tried to interfere there, too, but were unsuccessful.

The current population is seven dwarves, counting Mego and ignoring the caravan and outpost liason that have shown up. We didn't have a trade depot, but deciding that sharing a fraction of the innumerable treasures we've discovered might help encourage more hands to aid our efforts, we set one up and traded away a few trinkets. To say we didn't even begin to dent what's available is a massive understatement.

So it appears that a foothold may have been established. Barring any nasty beasts from beyond dropping in to pay us a visit, we may actually be able to survive for a while, and even if they do, we have proven ourselves against two so far.

In the depths of the fort, Mego III continues to serve as a punching bag. I doubt rescue is an option, as I strongly suspect the moment the forgotten beast stops keeping her unconscious with the constant strangling, she will die.

----------------

So... When spring hits, do I pass off the fort? Or am I finishing up Mego's turn, and then taking my own?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 12, 2011, 03:26:53 pm »

I say go ahead and take your own. =)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 12, 2011, 03:29:26 pm »

Umm...Everyone...I think dwarves may be extinct in this world. I just checked the only available civ in settling mode, and there was no king or general. I think that's a problem...A big problem.

Btw: As soon as someone makes it down into hell, the dorfs should be like "Oy gitz, wutz dis wall doin' 'ere?" (wait no, Dorfs aren't Orks, silly me...) and unseal the walls keeping the demons at bay.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:33:49 pm by Archereon »
It was inevitable.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 12, 2011, 04:14:44 pm »

Another death. Rest well, Mosus Uzolnazom; your colleagues endeavored to bring you to the hospital, only to drop you out of fear of the beast strangling Mego. You then died of thirst, on the 25th of Opal, because they stalwartly ran away in terror every time they tried to bring you something to drink.

Mosus was actually the first casualty of my migrant wave. He was among the first three drafted, and had his ankle broken in combat with one of the two forgotten beasts. Rather than carry on, he decided to sleep it off. Speaking as a matter of fact, he will not be missed - he contributed nothing but tasks that could never be completed.

Only five mobile dwarves.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 12, 2011, 05:42:35 pm »

Wow, the only deaths I've gotten have been from ghosts.

Then again, that's probably because there were adamantine breastplates and iron spears lying around, and spears are good for handling FBs and HFS.
It was inevitable.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 12, 2011, 06:13:46 pm »

This only serves to confirm my fear hope that Mego III is bugged beyond any constraint of sanity. She should have died in the spring, with the others, instead of semi-living another 6 months.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 12, 2011, 06:19:02 pm »

Clearly Mego is destined to be the Emprah of Dwarfkind. Keep him alive forever and ever, and create some sort of system to destroy the fort should he ever perish.
It was inevitable.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 12, 2011, 06:24:01 pm »

Umm...Everyone...I think dwarves may be extinct in this world. I just checked the only available civ in settling mode, and there was no king or general. I think that's a problem...A big problem.

Btw: As soon as someone makes it down into hell, the dorfs should be like "Oy gitz, wutz dis wall doin' 'ere?" (wait no, Dorfs aren't Orks, silly me...) and unseal the walls keeping the demons at bay.

If this is true, Mego's save is already screwed.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 12, 2011, 06:26:55 pm »

Not necessarily, I got a second migrant wave...Maybe there was a battle with the goblins and the king and general died.
It was inevitable.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 12, 2011, 06:27:50 pm »

Those 2 migrant waves are hard coded.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 167