Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 187874 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

* Oliolli is not surprised.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*walks in to check the traps.  *
(k)
This is a trap remains. It has been chewed on by demon crickets.  It somehow contains the vague suggestion that the crickets are becoming smarter. It is encrusted with evidence that the crickets are getting bigger. 

So much for setting cricket traps. 

Just as well I got some experience in...I wound up losing to a cluster of goblin ambushes.... the problem started when I set a bunch of stone masons on repeat before I understood that one should sell *crafts* instead of heavy doors and statues, regardless of the quality.  This, in turn, led to dwarves hauling furniture back and forth all over my fortress every time I tried to trade, wasting time that should have been spent making walls or mining for metal or maybe making weapons. It got so bad I punched holes in my walls just to save time.
then 5 ambushes triggered at once. 3 goblins made it into the fort, cancelling jobs all over the place.  I gave up after the population dropped from 40 to 28. 

On the other hand, I think I know enough to set up a piston stockpile-it has the space-saving power of a quantum stockpile but without the need to reclaim, and it reduces lag considerably...which is something that swordthunders could use.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did we lose another one?

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It HAS been a week since the last "i'm alive" post.  I second the motion of moving to whoever's next.

Fractalman has entered a strange mood!
"sugar...ferrus saidar...decorations..."

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

It HAS been a week since the last "i'm alive" post.  I second the motion of moving to whoever's next.
+1

Unit1126PLL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

So first post here. Some introductions are in order.

I have never played Dwarf Fortress. I do not even have it downloaded. I am terrified of learning what all the symbols mean. I do not believe I can learn all of them with the time allowed to me, not to mention what to do with it.

That said, the Swordthunders fortress, both the initial thread and this reclaim thread, is one of the most epic video-game achievements I have seen and speaks to the strength of the game, the players as individuals, and the community as a group.

Keep up the hilarity, and I will be continuing to follow the adventures of the Dwarves who Conquered Hell, Doren the Indefatigable Murder Machine (she's not dead - only missing. And a ghost.), and the unconquerable* fortress.

*unconquerable by dwarves as much as anyone else.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DONE!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
TAKE THAT, CRICKETS!
…oh hello there! :D

I have never played Dwarf Fortress. I do not even have it downloaded. I am terrified of learning what all the symbols mean. I do not believe I can learn all of them with the time allowed to me, not to mention what to do with it.
Copycat. :P
You've got, what, 8 people ahead of you? Plenty of time to learn the ropes. 

The symbols are surprisingly well chosen, once you get the hang of navigating up and down with the viewer…and if you remember that *’s are gems, anything grassy is useless unless it’s a bush,  and trees are pretty easy to recognize after you type d, t, enter, enter a couple of times.  Also, remember to be nice to your elf slaves-you need all the traders you can get to haul your garbage (read: rock crafts.  Lots and lots of rock crafts. Not mason’s work, stone crafts) away to avoid cluttering the very fabric of reality in the long-run.  That they bring a variety of animals for you to slaughter in front of them (just to see their horrified expressions) is a nice bonus.
Seriously. My first fort died because I tried to sell tons of furniture..and then my dwarved kept hauling it back to the stockpile when the traders left.  When the goblins came…Now I embrace a cluttered workshop to save on hauling.

Nijiru

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

You could also use a tile pack if you dislike the symbols.  I use one and I'm still learning about the game.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pmming aussie, celmonk, and mccommander...

so unless one of those three posts...:
In the meantime, the turn list looks like:
33. Cellmonk - MIA

34. NCommander-up!
35. Eric Blank
36. Ethanland
37. Oliolli
38. Vehudur
39. Child of Armok
(end of aussie's list/)
40. Fractalman-awaiting community approval.
41. Lolfail0009-awaiting community approval.
42. Unit1126PLL-awaiting community approval.

So.  Since aussie seems to be missing as well, how about this: everyone has one week.  After a week with no update, your turn ends if the community motions, seconds, and approves the end of your turn.  Actual progress updates may or may not reset the week...with a max total turn time of a month. 

Approving a player? should only take 1 or 2 votes.  ending a turn takes 3. 

Any objections?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:05:14 pm by fractalman »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I'm right here.  NCommander, you're up.  And you've got 48 hours from the announcement post to start, or at least acknowledge your turn.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The demon cricket bites the NCommander in the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

The curse is growing stronger!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day by day it's power grows,
Until at last its face it shows,
(I forget this line),
The land shall find a final peace.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I forget this line),

1. Grow in power
2. Show face
3. ? ? ?
4. PROFIT!!! PEACE!!!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I forget this line),

1. Grow in power
2. Show face