Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188218 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - Try the new Water Slide attraction!
« Reply #1980 on: September 30, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »

I thought the hell walls were complete?

They were, but a few overseers have made breaches in them to try and drain Hell of magma.

Speaking of which, how's Hell look right now, NCommander?

I can see four demons mulling around down there, which have already broke pretty much every single piece of furniture down there. I looked at ways to remove them, but we don't have any GCS for webbed traps (actually, the entire first cavern layer seems to be MIA), and the third cavern layer is flooding and on !!fire!!. I was hoping to collect nethercap for a pumpstack, but that's not possible without a military (or some *very* fast woodcutters/haulers).

The checkerboard pretty much been demolished, and while I've got sand collection working so reloading the magma chamber is possible, I don't think the demons will run up into the main fort unless they're provoked (as is there behavior in Deathgate).

On the flipside, our military is coming along nicely. All will be skilled fighters before the year is out, and with each level, they're training faster. Their wrestling skill is *barely* growing, but its not surprisingly, sparring/skill demos seem to be capped by the fighter level of the dwarf. On the two dwarfs that hit Level 5 fighter, wrestler is at 3, the others are either dabbling or novice. I should note that everyone was dabbling or novice in summer. Given that training gets a *hell* of a lot faster as they get skilled, I'm pretty sure we'll hit elite wrestlers sometime in 110 (maybe early 111) if left undisturbed, at which point I recommend equipping them with weapons and armors,let them train one more year (should hit Lord *fast*), then retake hell by dwarven steel.

(after we import the steal that is).

EDIT: I don't think the fort has much in terms of candy weapons (most of the candy went to the swordthunders logo in hell), but I found there are at least two z-levels unmined. Probably enough for at least one set of candy armor/weaponary (if not two).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:57:22 pm by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: September 30, 2012, 08:59:38 pm »

So things are interesting to say the least? Also did the water ever drain properly, and finally wow how did the checkerboard get broken?
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1982 on: September 30, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »

So things are interesting to say the least? Also did the water ever drain properly, and finally wow how did the checkerboard get broken?

Its still draining, but its at 3/7 now, so I should be able to get in and disconnect that blasted pressure plate. The FDS's controls all have notes so goblins shouldn't be an issue for Swordthunders ever again as long as you remember to forbid the hatch *before* the goblins get to it. I suspect a few more overseers will flood the world before my next turn. The flow of the water forced the last floodgate to finally close, but I recommend reconstructing the drain as one or two long bridges so they'll atomsmash anything that could block them.

Biggest issue that could happen is if it gets cold enough for the water to ice over. That would cause everything outside to deconstruct (i.e., the weapon/cage traps), and when the water melts, it melts at 7/7 causing someone else having to deal with the son of the flood.

As for the checkerboard, I have no idea; it was broken when I got here, and I mined out areas around it to install magma glass furances, as well as a magma smelter (since we need more easily produce sterling silver). I did use some of the grates in the new sand collection area I mined out. The only way we're getting hell back at this point is either by military might or webbed cages. I don't see any webs in the caverns that are exposed so I'm not *hugely* optimistic that its possible.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: September 30, 2012, 09:13:42 pm »

I imagine that means the military isn't all that large or trained? Or are the demons just that strong?
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1984 on: September 30, 2012, 09:29:59 pm »

I imagine that means the military isn't all that large or trained? Or are the demons just that strong?

Our military consists of 8 wrestlers. I'd draft more, but we seriously lack dwarven manpower at the moment with the trickle of migrants we get. Fortunately, with the way I bootstrapped the military, we should have at least two dwarfs with decent Teaching skill which can be used to get more experienced military in a couple of years.

When the year started, they were recruits. Demons are stupidly fast, and they have a massive size advantage on dwarfs. Only a lord would even stand a chance. To compound the issues, the demons of amber have a dust attack which is a great way to kill dwarfs.

The biggest issue isn't so much the demons lurking in hell. I could use the artifact floodgate to get them sealed off in a room, but getting masons down there fast enough to seal the wall would be tricky, and even if I solved the demons lurking in hell using an artifact trap, I'd have to deal with the likely possibility of a demon popping in before the wall was complete.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: September 30, 2012, 09:32:09 pm »

Swordthunders' climate doesn't get cold enough to ice over in Winter.  Or I'd have had a snowball in Hell as well.  Also, you're most definitely going to have to take Hell by force - It's how I did it in the first place after the Clown Car was dealt with.  The fires in Cavern Three are from magma spilling out from the pipe that ends in it. 

For the record, here are the known demon types in Swordthunders (as best I can remember)

Pterodactyl (flies and bites)
Amber (spits deadly dust, usually ends up killing itself)
Fire (brittle-shelled demon that spits fire.  Be careful, killing it will pop it and shower flames over everyone nearby)
Spring Green (big distended koala.  It just beats you to death)
Ash (It beats you up, that's about it)
Snow (ditto)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1986 on: September 30, 2012, 09:52:09 pm »

Swordthunders' climate doesn't get cold enough to ice over in Winter.  Or I'd have had a snowball in Hell as well.  Also, you're most definitely going to have to take Hell by force - It's how I did it in the first place after the Clown Car was dealt with.  The fires in Cavern Three are from magma spilling out from the pipe that ends in it. 

For the record, here are the known demon types in Swordthunders (as best I can remember)

Fire (brittle-shelled demon that spits fire.  Be careful, killing it will pop it and shower flames over everyone nearby)
Snow (ditto)

Fun bunch. Yeah, we're going to need Weaponlords to successfully retake hell. Alternatively, I could danger-room goblins, and drop them into hell.

On an unrelated note, how did you carve out the super-cistern? I assume some cave-in fun was involved, but I've always had issues with multilevel rooms of any size.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: September 30, 2012, 09:57:15 pm »

Multi-level rooms are easy through one of two methods;

--The Plate Drop--
Dig out each floor as you would for a normal room, then channel the perimeter of the upper-most floor.  The 'plate' drops and takes out every other floor on its way to the bottom.  Somewhat dangerous, and it does level an outer ring of walkable floor, but this might be desired for whatever reason.

--Strip-Mining--
Designate the entire upper level with channel squares.  When they've all gone down a level, repeat.  Do NOT designate multiple floors at once though, or it ends badly with cave-ins single unreachable squares and so forth.

(The names are ones I just made up as a general description, you won't see them in the wiki or anything)

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: September 30, 2012, 09:57:27 pm »

Snow (ditto)

Fun bunch. Yeah, we're going to need Weaponlords to successfully retake hell. Alternatively, I could danger-room goblins, and drop them into hell.

On an unrelated note, how did you carve out the super-cistern? I assume some cave-in fun was involved, but I've always had issues with multilevel rooms of any size.

I have to agree those sound exactly like the kinda people you don't want to invite into your house lest they break everything and your mom blames you.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: September 30, 2012, 10:00:09 pm »

It's not as dangerous as it could be.  The old Oaktree Spawn Traps are still in place and the breaches are mostly in the upper levels of the walls so there's good odds the Trap will catch a spawning demon rather than it popping up at the build site.  As to actually fighting the demons... good luck.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1990 on: September 30, 2012, 10:09:42 pm »

The only good thing about demons is that they (usually) can be bolted to death. I remember we took out quite a few demons that breached the Hellbunker in Deathgate with marksdwarfs. I do also remember it took like half a year to do it.

EDIT: Remember what I said about having a military?

Forget about it :-)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:44:48 pm by NCommander »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: September 30, 2012, 10:49:04 pm »

The only good thing about demons is that they (usually) can be bolted to death. I remember we took out quite a few demons that breached the Hellbunker in Deathgate with marksdwarfs. I do also remember it took like half a year to do it.

EDIT: Remember what I said about having a military?

Forget about it :-)

Goblins or drowning?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1992 on: September 30, 2012, 10:52:12 pm »

Goblins or drowning?

Goblins, I switched them to leather armor w/ shields to build up those skills, and ran into an ambush in the drowning chamber. I've got them locked in but am hesitant to throw the lever because the floodgates jammed open again, and flooding the world is getting old. Six dwarfs are still alive, two struck down.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: September 30, 2012, 11:23:12 pm »

Well you said they're wrestlers. Aren't they kinda useless?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: October 01, 2012, 12:17:28 am »

EDIT: I don't think the fort has much in terms of candy weapons (most of the candy went to the swordthunders logo in hell), but I found there are at least two z-levels unmined. Probably enough for at least one set of candy armor/weaponary (if not two).

You know, I recall finding a workshop full of adamantine wafers. Somewhere near the checkerboard, can't remember exactly.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 167