Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188459 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - Try the new Water Slide attraction!
« Reply #1920 on: September 26, 2012, 12:51:11 pm »

Quick abbrivated update since I dunno if I will be online again until late Thursday night:

Fort is at  mid-summer (14th Malachite)

1. Tantruming dwarf (survivor of the goblin seige) broke part of the pumpstack for the cisten, and was missing several limbs.
2. Justice system claimed its first life (which was probably a good thing in this case); I forgot beatings were pretty lethal (I thought vandalism would cause imprisonment)
3. We have a jail now
4. Military squad training seems to be working well. No skills in wrestling, but after two months, all but one squad is adequate fighter and most have advanced to level 3. Biggest win here is we now have two adequate teachers and one close to to leveling up. From testing experience, Fighter is the major skill to get melee training working in addition to teacher (weapon skills are maxed during training to whatever fighter's level it seems). Current plan here is to let them keep going until Teacher reaches level 5, then get some disarmed goblins on restrains, then let the teachers beat on them with training weapons which should (in theory) allow them to level up their weapon/shield skills to a nice point.

We won't have lords by the end of the year, but if the next overseer follows my military direction, 110/110, we should start being able to reliably churn out weapon lords.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: September 26, 2012, 02:40:34 pm »

Water slides are a waste of time. WHERE'S THE STERLING SILVER TRINKETS?!?!?!?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1922 on: September 26, 2012, 03:38:49 pm »

15th Malachite 109
Overseer's Log of Dastotamd
Chief Medical Dwarf - Goden 'NCommander' Kilrudmegid
===

Things continue move at a rapid pace. So much so that I forgot to update this journal. The first order of business was to reclaim the caticombs, and get rid of the goblin menace once and for all. I had cage traps installed in the workshop hallways near the masonary plug.

Once installed, the wall was breached ...

and a moment later ...

... caged goblins!

I also managed to lure the last two surface goblins into the FTW corridor and drown them to death. As such, the surface has been reclaimed.

Not long after ...

We also found there was a survivor outside! Once she got inside though, she caused nothing but trouble!

The toppled axle was the one that connected the water reactor to one of the cistern pumpstacks. Such vandalism can not be tolerated; said pumpstack is critical to the defense of this fortress.

I had a jail constructed, and one of our farmers to the position of sheriff, in hope that beatings dealt will be survivable.

As that was being done, one of our spinners decided to go into a mood

He ran into the reopened catacombs, and seized a craftdwarfs workshop, and immediately started collecting materials.

As he worked, our sheriff delivered his beating ...

It is likely for the best as I suspect Squirelloid, having spent months outside, and without medical care would have died no matter what we did. Unfortunate, but it is for the best of Swordthunders ...

As this commenced, we traded some random crafts to the elves for a resupply of cages,and some animals and additional booze. I do not care for their tree-loving ways, but I rather get cages premade then tying up one of our workers to produce them.

In other news, I reworked the FTW system. Our woodcutters removed trees from the passageway, and roads were installed as well as walls to prevent goblins from running into the old farming rooms.

A new lever was installed in the control room to operate the drawbridge, and parts of the former "Pressure Defense System" were removed to allow for rapid draining of the chamber after it has been flooded. This does the risk that if the activation levers are pulled in the wrong order, it may cause our watersupply to rush down the mountain once again, but I'm not hugely concerned. I have marked all levers with clear notes so future overseers may be able to find their way to operate it.

We now need a suitable test target to confirm its operation. In other news, the humans are due soon. If we can offload enough crap on them, we may still be able to become a duchy ...

Two final bits of news before I close this entry though ...

First, Erica has been miserable, though I'm not sure why.

Surely that farmer who claimed corsac's quarters after his demise could not have upset him THAT much could it?

Secondly,

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:43:41 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: September 26, 2012, 06:42:31 pm »

Wait Wait "A" Migrant... That guy is a nutjob. I wonder if he'll actually make it to the fortress without dying?
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1924 on: September 26, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

Wait Wait "A" Migrant... That guy is a nutjob. I wonder if he'll actually make it to the fortress without dying?

He already made it. It was a potter. I've got the surface goblin free for the moment.

HiritconOvermindGibbross

• Bay Watcher
  • !Why is the rum gone?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: September 26, 2012, 06:48:30 pm »

!!!THE WINE MUST FFFFLLLLOOOOWWWW!!!
Also Jesus loves you and wants to help you!
John 3:16-17 (New King James Version)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

If you have questions just ask.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: September 26, 2012, 07:05:13 pm »

He already made it. It was a potter necromancer. I've got the surface goblin free for the moment.

Fixed that for you.  Think about it.  That fort has got to be the end-all-be-all of places where a necromancer would want to set up shop.

((Don't think there are necromancers in this game's DF version, but still...))
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: September 26, 2012, 07:18:37 pm »

Wait. So Migrantopia is now un-inhabitable? D:<

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: September 26, 2012, 08:36:01 pm »

Squirreloid is dead?

if you die in the game, you die in real life...

Also WHERE IS MY GODDAMN STERLING SILVER SHIT?

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: September 26, 2012, 08:40:22 pm »

Shouldn't I have exploded by now? dat alternate dimension

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: September 26, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »

Squirreloid is dead?

if you die in the game, you die in real life...

That was my thought too...

Also I'm still surprised the Pressure Defense System worked as a weapon, let alone effectively. 

HiritconOvermindGibbross

• Bay Watcher
  • !Why is the rum gone?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: September 26, 2012, 08:52:50 pm »

:P
!!!THE WINE MUST FFFFLLLLOOOOWWWW!!!
Also Jesus loves you and wants to help you!
John 3:16-17 (New King James Version)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

If you have questions just ask.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: September 26, 2012, 09:16:33 pm »

He already made it. It was a potter. I've got the surface goblin free for the moment.

I want to be that potter. I don't care that he's a potter the fact that he was crazy enough to come not only to Swordthunders but come to Swordthunders alone is enough for me. Exactly what I would've done but well I probably would've died. :3
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: September 27, 2012, 02:41:26 am »

Do I still have someone named after me?

Also, everything above is brilliant.  Especially flooding the world.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1934 on: September 27, 2012, 11:20:26 am »

Dwarfed.

Wait. So Migrantopia is now un-inhabitable? D:<

its draining.

Also I'm still surprised the Pressure Defense System worked as a weapon, let alone effectively.

I'm good with water based defense traps, though I'm a bit shocked on how well it worked myself. I'm debating hooking it up to a series of pressure plates to try and automate it. I figure since water drains in almost immediately, and the door is still in place, I think I can have it trigger automatically to basically  have it be an instant death as well as seal the flood chamber.

The plate will be triggers on 7/7 water + creature weight, when a creature steps on it, it will trigger the existing drawbridge as well as a new one I will install directly above the inner hatch covering and the inner floodgates. The floodgates and the bridges should trigger at exactly 100 ticks if they're built after the plate sealing the chamber and preventing any accidental flooding. Once water flows in the 7/7 part of the plate will lock the bridges in the up position.

The current inner floodgate lever then can be double-pulled (to send the close signal) to send the close signal and the outer gates can be set to drain the chamber. Once the water level drops below 7/7, the close signal will be sent from the plate (and ignored by the floodgates), and lower the bridges as the trap trains.

Biggest issue I see is that a non-drowning but trap-trigging creature could set the trap off and lock it into the open position (since if during draining the plate is retriggered by a creature, it could go into FTW mode). That being said, with swordthunders being water tight, I'm not sure its such a big concern anymore ...

Do I still have someone named after me?

Also, everything above is brilliant.  Especially flooding the world.

You do, you are our sututer
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 167