Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188430 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #1905 on: September 26, 2012, 01:15:48 am »

So, update should happen soonish. Had a *slight* mishap and the fort currently running at 2 FPS ...

Once everything dries out it should be back to normal.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: September 26, 2012, 01:18:16 am »

This fortress has a lot of water-related problems...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: September 26, 2012, 01:27:09 am »

So, update should happen soonish. Had a *slight* mishap and the fort currently running at 2 FPS ...

Once everything dries out it should be back to normal.

Someone fiddled with the cistern controls.  Did you douse the goblins, or the storage cave?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1908 on: September 26, 2012, 01:50:05 am »

11th Slate 109
Overseer's Log of Dastotamd
Chief Medical Dwarf - Goden 'NCommander' Kilrudmegid
===

With the noble's room situation handled for the time being, I turned my attention to the small army currently sitting outside our front gate. In some of the stacks of paper, I found mention of a "Pressure Defense System" that never worked, and was abandoned. Until our milita is stronger, we can not risk a confrontation with fighting the goblins directly, and while they mill around outside, we have no way of getting migrants into the fort.

Thus I decided to rework the PDS into a simple drowning trap.

The doors to the flood hallway were removed, and a new staircase was installed with a hatch cover over the down stairs. A new accessway was mined out with roads installed to prevent tree growth, and a door to prevent the goblins from escaping once they got in. You may see the flaw with the design. After two weeks of work, the PDS renovations were completed.

A miner was sent to pop the entrance way and a civillian alert was issued to keep everyone indoors. As expected, the goblins rushed in, and the order was given for the lever to be thrown.

Unfortunately, two of the goblins did not make it into the trap before the lever was thrown, and in that moment, I realized my folly.

The door has only been meant as a stopgap until we could get outside and I could rework the entrance into a proper drawbridge based design. One of the goblins ran to rescue his friends and opened the door before the shutdown lever could be pools. The results were impressive.

The cistern drained in all of three seconds.

We can now add "Outdoor Swimming Pool" to list of attractions that Swordthunder's offers the world.

I also learned that our well had an open skylight and promptly flooded.

No fatalities fortunately and access to the room was promptly forbidden

All but two of the goblins are now dead, and the others may drown before the water drains. I now need to explain to the count on WHY we have an outdoor swimming pool and what that sound of "WOOSH" was when the lever was thrown.

The cisten's floodgates were closed and it contains enough water that the bottom is still 7/7. It will slowly begin to refill until it is once again pressed into service.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:06:24 am by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: September 26, 2012, 02:10:36 am »

Impressive.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1910 on: September 26, 2012, 02:19:21 am »

Things just went from bad to worse. A second ambush showed up and the floor waters promptly washed them in through an open skylight and into Swordthunders.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: September 26, 2012, 02:23:39 am »

Things just went from bad to worse. A second ambush showed up and the floor waters promptly washed them in through an open skylight and into Swordthunders.

You turned my holiday resort into a glorified waterpark!?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1912 on: September 26, 2012, 02:36:13 am »

Yes. We now have one dead dwarf, and four goblins roaming the halls, with an unequipped militia (who have gotten better at wreslting).

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - Try the new Water Slide attraction!
« Reply #1913 on: September 26, 2012, 02:57:35 am »

Yes. We now have one dead dwarf, and four goblins roaming the halls, with an unequipped militia (who have gotten better at wrestling).

Oh dear.  Whereabouts did they actually get inside, anyway?  Also, how flooded is the fort?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1914 on: September 26, 2012, 03:09:49 am »

They got flushed into a skylight in the wood stockpiles (directly one level up from the catacombs of tombs). I managed (with creative burrowing) to make an emergency masonary plug but a craftdwarf and the broker got caught with them. There isn't enough water to actually flood the fort, although a fair bit is draining in from the surface gaps. For the moment, the fort is secure as far as I can tell, and if we get migrants,at least they SHOULD be able to make it in.

EDIT: Well, due to stupidity, we lost the count. *sigh*. Another update coming up in a bit.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:02:27 am by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1915 on: September 26, 2012, 05:40:47 am »

27th Slate 109
Overseer's Log of Dastotamd
Chief Medical Dwarf - Goden 'NCommander' Kilrudmegid
===

Well, things have gone from bad to worse in about three seconds. I can't believe how badly things have gone. The floodwaters are making their way down the mountain. The migrant holding area is officially under water now.

The same food of water has revealed a second goblin ambush which was promptly forced into a hole in the ground and into Swordthunders itself!

We lost an engraver right off the bat, and the goblins chose to chase a craftdwarf and the broker around in the catacombs.

Two farmers nearby, showing amazing resourcefulness grabbed some marble blocks from an old mason workshop and managed to forge a masonary plug to keep evil out.

They shall now be known as Heroes of Swordthunders for their bravery in walling the goblins in

Around the same time, some good news finally showed up!

They carefully made their way up the mountian and in through the trader depot, avoiding disturbing the nearby goblins.

They are some lucky SOBs for making it in.

In a bit of shoddy oversight, I "forgot" to relock the entrance hatchway, and Corsac and a craftdwarf ran through the entrance, right into ...

Well, there is a bright side of this.

At least now I don't need to explain why everything is gone to hell.

Mego, our baron, found the entire situation hilarious and told me to get to work on those sterling silver items.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: September 26, 2012, 05:48:36 am »

This whole situation reminds me greatly of Boatmurder's "Fuck the World" device, with less magma and direction. Impressive.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1917 on: September 26, 2012, 05:52:41 am »

This whole situation reminds me greatly of Boatmurder's "Fuck the World" device, with less magma and direction. Impressive.

Its not clear from the screenshots,but water dumped out of the cisten in roughly one tick. It all went 7/7 before there was even a chance to react. But yes, very much FTW device. We just need one with magma (though since magma doesn't pressurize, I'm not sure if it would work very well ...)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: September 26, 2012, 06:22:27 am »

Its not clear from the screenshots,but water dumped out of the cisten in roughly one tick. It all went 7/7 before there was even a chance to react. But yes, very much FTW device. We just need one with magma (though since magma doesn't pressurize, I'm not sure if it would work very well ...)

Magma cistern, multiple screwpumps drawing from the bottom level of it.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1919 on: September 26, 2012, 07:52:45 am »

Well, the flood waters dropped the rest of the ambush into the walled off area of Swordthunders, and I managed to drown the last two goblins and reclaim access to the surface. Redesign efforts are now in progress to prevent a second accidental discharge.

The Flood-The-World device can be used to drown goblins, or flood most of the outdoor playable area (if the chisten is full enough)

EDIT: Might get one final update out today, but I have go get on a plane so probably no more updates til Thursday
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:15:45 am by NCommander »
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 167