Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188058 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2011, 11:36:22 pm »

It's hard to bludgeon someone to death when you're asleep yourself. Have you any idea how boring it is sitting around, watching your dwarves rest and the 2 resident FB's chase around a yak bull, while waiting for the dwarves' injuries to worsen and kill them?

EDIT: Nevermind, Weri got the bull. The bull smashed open the Beast's right front foot before it died, so that's something.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:39:07 pm by Mego »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2011, 11:39:22 pm »

I dunno, if stressful, I kinda enjoyed my panic stricken turn :]

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2011, 11:41:38 pm »

There are now 2 ghosts watching over the sleeping 6 dwarves. One of them is on top of the 6 dwarves that somehow managed to pile onto one bed before falling asleep. Fanfic away.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2011, 11:56:37 pm »

The ghost shakes the dwarf around by the lower body with his right hand, bruising it
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2011, 12:00:50 am »

The ghost rips off the dwarf Urist McVictim's upper body.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2011, 12:02:27 am »

No, these are nice ghosts. They don't cause harm to anyone they don't know.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2011, 12:06:22 am »

They're the ghosts of Dwarves.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2011, 12:24:26 am »

Which means there's an orgy going on between 2 ghosts and 6 sleeping dwarves. Maybe that's the cause of the miasma.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2011, 12:36:45 am »

They are definitely behaving like ambushers. I get the ambush message when one of them appears.

A wounded dwarf is tantruming in his sleep.

I also got those messages :/
AMBUSH FROM THE DARKNESS!!! Or something like that :z

And better then having a dwarf tantruming whilst everyone else is sleeping. Silly gnomes don't even wake up when they're being bludgeoned to death.

Which means there's an orgy going on between 2 ghosts and 6 sleeping dwarves. Maybe that's the cause of the miasma.

Good grief.

So far we've had two failed expeditions, at least four different FB ambushes (didn't even know they could do that), and now a ectoplasmic dwarven orgy consisting of the surviving expedition members and the spirits of the fortress.

I'm beginning to think the very spirit of Dwarf Fortress itself doesn't want this place reclaimed.  We'll only have to try harder, in that case.  Mego, if you've gotten your dwarves inside, are the exterior hatches still intact?  If you can lock them, you'll be reasonably safe for the moment. 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:41:11 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2011, 12:40:10 am »

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
are the exterior hatches still intact?

My efforts to kill the first few forgotten beasts have seen to it that they are gone...

The outer two should be intact though, which means in theory, we could seal out dwarves into the dark, flooded fortress that is connected directly to a ghost filled hell.

Yeah.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2011, 12:57:29 am »

So far we've had two failed expeditions, at least four different FB ambushes (didn't even know they could do that)

I've seen this behaviour before when attempting to reclaim fortresses of my own. On abandoning, I had a salt FB teleport through the wall between the fort and the caverns (previously breached, then sealed) and begin skulking around, proceeding to ambush my dwarves in the dining room/meeting hall I'd built on the surface.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2011, 01:05:31 am »

I'm beginning to think the very spirit of Dwarf Fortress itself doesn't want this place reclaimed.  We'll only have to try harder, in that case.  Mego, if you've gotten your dwarves inside, are the exterior hatches still intact?  If you can lock them, you'll be reasonably safe for the moment.

They appear to be; however, it's hard to do anything when your dwarves are asleep. Been that way for a week, maybe more.

EDIT: Appears to be more like 2 weeks. They ran inside around the 15th of Granite, and it's now the 2nd of Slade. I may hold the record for longest-lasting simply because my dwarves are safely asleep and the yak cow can run really fast.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:08:40 am by Mego »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2011, 01:15:27 am »

They appear to be; however, it's hard to do anything when your dwarves are asleep. Been that way for a week, maybe more.

EDIT: Appears to be more like 2 weeks. They ran inside around the 15th of Granite, and it's now the 2nd of Slade. I may hold the record for longest-lasting simply because my dwarves are safely asleep and the yak cow can run really fast.

That sounds like success, considering the previous attempts.  Fingers crossed that you'll get some migrants before they die of starvation too. 

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2011, 01:21:13 am »

That sounds like success, considering the previous attempts.  Fingers crossed that you'll get some migrants before they die of starvation too.

More likely, it'll be death by thirst. They're all thirsty, but too passed-out to go find drink.

Also, I would like to applaud you on fortress design that you never mentioned yourself. The hospital-turned-orgy is right across from the mortuary.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:25:04 am by Mego »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2011, 02:45:23 am »

I would like to applaud you on fortress design that you never mentioned yourself. The hospital-turned-orgy is right across from the mortuary.

Thank you.  Those graves were among the first filled by the dead of Swordthunders and it seemed the sensible place, given the average survival rate in the hospital.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 167