Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridges going nowhere  (Read 1769 times)

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bridges going nowhere
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:16:10 am »

Just a suggestion... don't care that much about bridges going nowhere. They even exist in real life.

A few examples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59892094@N00/3490289761/

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Bridges going nowhere
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:24:43 am »

Already in the game currently as a bug, but you can pretend it's a feature.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:53:31 am »

I think there's a more general point to be made here, as I don't think Toady One has fully implemented buildings or roads falling into disuse for whatever reason, and town planning was an oxymoron in most parts of the world until well into the industrial age. Some of those "bridges to nowhere" could lead to a neighbourhood that was destroyed by fire and never rebuilt, or the road layout changed so they led to a dead end at some point but it was too expensive to demolish them.
A similar principle could apply to city walls, gates and sentry towers, when the original set falls into disuse as the town expands beyond them. Remnants of the old defences would stay intact almost indefinitely unless there was a pressing need to demolish them, which would be a huge and costly undertaking without gunpowder, and towers or gatehouses might be repurposed for more mundane roles.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:20:17 am »

Already in the game currently as a bug, but you can pretend it's a feature.

I think there's a more general point to be made here, as I don't think Toady One has fully implemented buildings or roads falling into disuse for whatever reason, and town planning was an oxymoron in most parts of the world until well into the industrial age. ...

Precisely! It just requires a look at some of the older European towns. There are plenty of witnesses of a long gone past that have never vanished. And if that past is ignored while looking at these structures they tend to look slightly out of place. That could at least serve as a reason for transmuting a bug into a feature. :)