Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Ad Demographics Game!  (Read 1421 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
The Ad Demographics Game!
« on: November 27, 2011, 03:06:37 am »

The procedure is simple.  Go to your mass marketing of choice, for me this is usually the radio that I leave running just to fill the dead air, sometimes it's the TV or websites with ads.  Websites don't work as well because they're often tailored to your search histories.  Wherever you are, notice the ads that are around.  Pay attention to them for a while, a solid two hours of radio should expose you to the various ads, and TV might change depending on the time (Cartoon Network differs from Adult Swim).  Based on your observations, describe the average consumer.

For a local radio station, there's ads for midlife "low testosterone" medication, bail bonds, "cash now" paycheck advances and settlement funds, adoption agencies, pet adoptions, and various local fast food companies.  Based on these and other ads, I've concluded that the primary target consumer is a middle-aged white male living in a small home with an unhealthy diet of fast food grease and sit-down fatty meats who can't pay any bills ever and has recently been injured and sued someone.  And is morbidly obese.

You win the game by being the furthest different from the target consumer.  I'm a young white vegetarian woman with no serious money concerns and a fine figure, if a touch on the anorexic side.

You can skew the target consumer image based on the frequency of ads.  Local ads are "lose 10-15 pounds of belly fat!" but they come on 3 times each commercial break, so it may be assumed that the people are more than 10-15 pounds overweight.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: The Ad Demographics Game!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 04:09:25 am »

This sounds exciting. I'll go find the local radio station.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

gildarumarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:55:44 am »

I don't listen to radio, but my wife often listens to russian Echo Moscow radio on the internet. Its commercials are aimed at upper-middle class businessmen.
I'm a young man, currently unemployed with some money problems and can't afford most of the stuff they advertise. As an additional bonus we live in another country.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:18:38 am »

On MSPA, the ads are almost exclusively for other webcomics.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 12:42:08 pm »

After two hours of news-watching on the television:

The ads seemed to be directed at people with money to squander on unnecessary luxuries, people who can't handle wearing blankets, people who are overweight and want to change that, people who let commercials tell them to go vegetarian, people who enjoy fast food, people who have massive debts to reconcile, people who want to get a cheap college certificate, and people who need to keep their children better oppressed behaved. Also, old people with really breakable hips and poor coordination.

In contrast, I am broke-as-hell, in winter I generally wear blankets properly without the need for custom sleeves, I'm freakishly skinny, I love meat, I hate fast food, I have no debts, I'm on track to get an AA within a few months, I have no children, and as far as I know I've never needed help getting to a hospital after breaking a bone.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 03:29:50 pm »

For me there is no average ad-viewer.

I am pretty good at avoiding/ignoring/plain not noticing the stuff.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:31:18 pm »

I get all my media from the internet anymore, so most of the ads are mechanically targetted based on past google searches and so forth :P Is radio even a thing anymore?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 05:42:48 pm »

Driving home from work, listening to the radio around 3-4AM, I hear ads for cut-rate auto insurance, cut-rate auto accident lawyers, cut-rate auto repair, stay-awake drugs, condoms and accessories, and the morning shows that I'll never be awake for.

I have this distinct feeling that they're trying to reach over-sexed or under-sexed graveyard-shift stiffs with little money and a lot of driving to do.  What do you know, I'm bang on for the target.  Not that I've ever once bought anything I heard advertised on the radio.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:23 pm »

Staying for a bit in the southern california desert, average age of population is 67.

Medicare, black friday/christmas, life insurance, medicare, pharmaceuticals, medicare, pharmaceuticals, malibu rehab, pharmaceuticals, medicare, life insurance, work clothes, black friday/christmas...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 02:14:10 am »

There are ads on the internet?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 08:37:15 am »

I don't listen to radio.
I don't watch TV.
I don't read newspapers.
I have full adblock on my internet browser.

The only advertisements I've recently seen are from professional journals targeted specifically at my field of work.

I guess I lose.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 12:06:10 pm »

The only ad I've seen in the past few months was on startrek.com (You have to disable adblock to watch ST:TOS and ENT episodes there) and it was for Victoria's Secret. I'm a male.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »

So apparently none of the Germans have an insurance or a bank account.

I don't listen to radio.
I don't watch TV.
I don't read newspapers.
I have full adblock on my internet browser.

The only advertisements I've recently seen are from professional journals targeted specifically at my field of work.

I guess I lose.
Brofist?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 12:43:38 pm »

After watching the BBC for a while.... doh.

My browser is full of Rugby and Physics related adverts, with the odd gaming banner. Funny that eh?
This is a blank sig.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »

The only ad I've seen in the past few months was on startrek.com (You have to disable adblock to watch ST:TOS and ENT episodes there) and it was for Victoria's Secret. I'm a male.
Any Victoria's Secret ad is aimed at men, trying to make them buy their garments for their significant others.
Pages: [1] 2