Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I check a dwarf's ammunition?  (Read 647 times)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I check a dwarf's ammunition?
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:40:28 am »

I can't find this in the wiki.  Is there any way to see the type and quantity of ammo being carried by a dwarf?  When i access their individual inventories (with v->i) all I can see is that they have a quiver. 

For that matter, the reason why i want to check is because I had one dwarf in a squad show up for battle the other day and fire wooden bolts.  His squad only uses wood bolts for training and the other dwarfs in his unit were using their iron bolts.  At first i thought i might be out of iron bolts, but there were some in the stockpile, so i reasoned that he must have just been practicing and that's what was in his quiver when i gave the attack order.  Anyway, it would be nice to see, does anyone know a way i'm missing?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Can I check a dwarf's ammunition?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:47:51 am »

View the dwarf's inventory, then select the quiver and press Enter to view its contents.

In version 0.31.xx, dwarves perform archery practice using ammunition stored in their quivers. Note that this also means that a dwarf whose quiver is completely filled with combat-only ammo will never practice.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can I check a dwarf's ammunition?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »

View the dwarf's inventory, then select the quiver and press Enter to view its contents.

That's what I've been doing, but the game tricked me.  It never showed any bolts and I assumed the interface just didn't show bolts that way.  If what you say is true (and I believe that it is) then my quivers have always been empty when I looked, which is an aha moment for me.  My guess is that they probably don't fill their quivers at all until receiving their first combat posting or deciding for the first time to practice.  Possibly, they may even empty their quivers when going inactive (although I doubt that).  I will expermient a little more today to figure out their behavior in more detail.

In version 0.31.xx, dwarves perform archery practice using ammunition stored in their quivers. Note that this also means that a dwarf whose quiver is completely filled with combat-only ammo will never practice.

Thank's for that, it's good to know.  It implies that they don't ever empty quivers, only fill them.  BTW, is there any information on how many bolts/arrows a quiver will hold?  I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

Oh, and now that you have me thinking of these things, another question that's been bugging me (and why I was trying to count bolts in the first place), what does it mean to specify X number of bolts for a squad on the ammunition tab?  Say I have a squad with 5 axedwarfs and 5 marksdwarfs and I specify 100 metal bolts for combat on the ammunition screen?  I assume that each marksdwarf will take 20 bolts from the stockpile, but for all I know the first couple that get there might take 50 and leave the others will none.  Or does that screen mean that each of the marksdwarfs will try to take 100 bolts?

I'll be experimenting with these a little myself this afternoon, but thank you for your help.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.