Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No access to table/throne  (Read 2437 times)

Marinius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No access to table/throne
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:58:20 am »

Currently I'm trying to get my way around in DF and follow the the Quickstart guide from the wiki.

At the point where i want to assemble the bedrooms and office.

I had the mason build me a throne and a table and the furniture got stored one level higher in the common stockpile. When I tried to place them now and go few levels deeper down it tells me it can't access the table or the throne.
It doesn't show me the same problem when I'm on the same level with the common stockpile.
I tried moving the furniture to the same level as the future office, but no dwarf is starting to move the furniture to the new opened up furniture stockpile although i disabled furniture in the common stockpile.

Can anyone please help?

P.S.: It turned summer during the process and there is no more farming happening (yes I activated the farming in summer as well), plus my carpenter is not starting to produce the beds in the carpenters workshop. What's happening?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: No access to table/throne
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:05:16 am »

If there is no access, there is no access. Check all your stairs to see if they are build correctly. You might also have removed ramps in your fortress and accidentally removed the upstair part of up/downstairs.

Do you have seeds / wood and the jobs enabled?

Marinius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 11:19:52 am »

Whoa,

somehow my stairs were not connected anymore. I lost the connection between my first and the second level. How is that possible to happen? Can I have changed a up/down stairway to a just down stairway? Because I had a dwarf trapped in that level as I have just realized now.

According to the Wiki, the seeds should have come out of my current crop. Why didn't that happen? (I do have a seed barrel in the stockpile and the farming activated)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:31:52 am »

Beds...are...auto....claimed..
I've been wasting so much time!
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 11:39:37 am »

Beds...are...auto....claimed..
I've been wasting so much time!
You replied to the wrong thread - the topic you're looking for is over here.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 01:57:07 pm »

Whoa,

somehow my stairs were not connected anymore. I lost the connection between my first and the second level. How is that possible to happen? Can I have changed a up/down stairway to a just down stairway? Because I had a dwarf trapped in that level as I have just realized now.

According to the Wiki, the seeds should have come out of my current crop. Why didn't that happen? (I do have a seed barrel in the stockpile and the farming activated)

Anything that blocks the path will 'disconnect' the two areas - if a set of up/down stairs have been changed to basic down stairs, you'll need to construct an up or up-down (preferable) staircase underneath your disconnected down stairs. It could also be something along the lines of a drawbridge being raised, or a door marked as forbidden, or a cave-in, or unexpected deep fluids - anything that removes the path between levels will cause your dwarves to no longer path between levels.

The seeds issue... if you've set the plots up to have a crop in the summer, you may not yet have any seeds - once you've grown a crop, it will need to be processed in some fashion - the seeds will be produced alongside the product. Any plant can be brewed, pig tails and quarry bushes can be processed at a Farmer's Workshop, etc. However, don't cook plants if you want the seeds - cooking destroys the seeds that would otherwise be produced.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 02:11:25 pm »

Also keep in mind that any plants that are currently growing when their growing season ends are destroyed. So if you have a 5x5 plot of plants that grow in the spring and summer that is full of plants when it turns autumn, you will lose the 25 seeds that those plants took when you planted them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:34:10 pm »

Did you designate an area to have ramps removed?  When you designate an area to have ramps removed, your dwarves will also remove up stairs and turn up/down stairs into only down stairs.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.