Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Growing Grass on Floors?  (Read 853 times)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Growing Grass on Floors?
« on: November 26, 2011, 12:30:18 am »

If I build a wall outdoors at level z, that creates a floor at z+1.  Will I be able to get grass to grow up there?

Thank you,
Finn
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Grass on Floors?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 12:53:54 am »

Not naturally, no. If you spill some water on it and create some mud then yes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:59:13 am »

Thank you, that's what i meant.  I didn't want to go through the trouble of getting water up there if it wasn't going to work.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:08:11 am »

Not naturally, no. If you spill some water on it and create some mud then yes.
Wait, you can grow grass on a muddy constructed floor?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 02:24:44 pm »

I'm fairly certain that you can, yes, though I don't remember whether or not dwarves will clean the mud away, removing your ability to grow things there. Also this might only apply to underground floors, I tend to not build aboveground so I'm not 100% certain on those.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 02:26:19 pm »

I'm fairly certain that you can, yes, though I don't remember whether or not dwarves will clean the mud away, removing your ability to grow things there. Also this might only apply to underground floors, I tend to not build aboveground so I'm not 100% certain on those.

I think if you set restricted traffic on the muddy floor, Dwarves won't clean it up.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 03:23:59 pm »

Restricted traffic doesn't prevent dwarves from going there, it just makes them think it takes 12.5 times longer to the walk each tile than normal traffic. If they absolutely have to go through there, such as when their cleaning target is in the zone, they're go in.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 03:34:54 pm »

The reason I asked is because, in the past, constructed floors have been consistently incapable of supporting wild plant growth even when muddy - trees and shrubs will never grow on a muddy constructed floor, so it seems rather unusual that they would support the growth of grass.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 04:34:16 pm »

The reason I asked is because, in the past, constructed floors have been consistently incapable of supporting wild plant growth even when muddy - trees and shrubs will never grow on a muddy constructed floor, so it seems rather unusual that they would support the growth of grass.
I don't see why constructed walls and floors can support underground life but not above ground :d

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 06:10:37 pm »

*Facepalm* Stupid mistakes for the win. Apparently looking back now at the fort where I thought this had happened I realized that though my intention was to pave over an area with constructed floors, there were a few spots where there were previous stone tiles that I had just smoothed over instead of building over to save stone. The result was an area that looked like it was all constructed floors yet still grew grass, which in truth was 90% constructed floors and 10% grass-growing smoothed ones.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 06:12:18 pm »

So... We're just going to have to obsidianize everything? :D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 06:12:37 pm »

That would work, yes.