Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Considering Races' Roles  (Read 17019 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Considering Races' Roles
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2012, 11:24:05 am »

On a hot day, an average male man can outrun a race horse.

We're just awesome like that.

Humans can outrun any animal if we have enough time and space to run in. It's how the bushmen of the Kalahari desert hunt their prey. They chase it until it gets tired.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2012, 12:53:11 pm »

On a hot day, an average male man can outrun a race horse.

We're just awesome like that.

Humans can outrun any animal if we have enough time and space to run in. It's how the bushmen of the Kalahari desert hunt their prey. They chase it until it gets tired.

Close, but not quite. They chase it until it dies of exhaustion.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2012, 01:04:38 pm »

First they make it bleed.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2012, 09:18:37 am »

radiuses and unlas

Typo's galore!

Radii, as radius stems from the latin directly... And that's a !!FUN!! way to spell Ulna's :P

Sorry, grammar is a sticking point with me D:
It's okay. I myt mayl a fyew tyops, espeshly when maykin gokes abowt my speling.

What about biome related civs?

Evil biome - > Evil civ
Savage Desert biome - > An army of legendary bowmen riding atop legendary bowmen giant scorpions?
Sounds Fun! Except that GDSs can't learn, IIRC.

So you say we need humans as an "average?" Makes sense, except that currently humans are the largest of all civilized races.

That true, Wyrmie?  Largest, you say.  In your world, there, or all the time?  After we generate DF, we pick an embark location, that if we tab, prior to hitting e for embark can see the likelihood of our neighbors.  In some regions, humans don't even show up.  And in others, its Dwarf, Human, Elf, Goblin, as opposed to Dwarf, Goblin, Elf.  Or just Dwarf, Goblin.  It all depends on your starting conditions, location.  It always has Dwarf in the mix I noticed, otherwise I doubt Toady's story, plot points would develop, as our fortress advanced.
A. Check the raws. Human size: 70,000. Dwarf, elf, and goblin size: 60,000. Kobold size: 20,000, IIRC.
B. Of course there are always dwarves, YOU'RE the dwarves!

I never meant to imply we need humans to be an average race, with average roles.  That's how Dungeon and Dragons portrays them, I just meant to say, we need humans, if we don't have them, another race will fill their role, in many cases the average role.  Many gamers tend to min max, or leverage themselves to take advantage of the most powerful strategy.  If that is average, then I guess thats what would be enjoyable to the most people.  However, flexibility seems to be the greatest evolutionary strategy for success.  That and jaw size and crunch.
I think I misunderstood you. I also think you're saying the same thing I thought you were saying earlier, though, so I'm not sure what to think.

Humans aren't these pigs to be preyed on, they're weird iron clad creatures that tower over your average Dorf :P
I agree. But I wouldn't use weird.  There are many similarities.  I imagine Dorf breed for shortness and fullhairedness.  Some scientists say the wolf devolved into a pink poodle in just one generation, of living with us and eating slum pile gourmets.
Either you're exaggerating or those scientists should not be allowed anywhere near somewhere they might accidentally interfere with actual science. Wolves did slowly "self-domesticate," in the sense that they made themselves less fearful of humans to feed off of refuse piles, but it was human breeding that turned them into "pink poodles," and the changes took many generations, not just one.

Could humans have devolved from dorfs in just one generation, by simply eating dorf refuse?  Makes me scratch my head.  And what is a generation, to an elf?  Infinity? 

Sincerely,
Knutor
A. ...What? Humans "devolve" from dwarves by eating dwarf refuse? First off, "devolve" is not a particularly scientific term. Or a scientific term at all, to my knowledge. Second off, the way you put it, it sounds like dwarves turned into humans by eating their own garbage.
B. An elven generation is the average time from birth to having one's first child. Same as any other race.

Hm...maybe humans would be the "pragmatic" race, while elves and dwarves have their own belief systems about what to use, goblins follow their leaders, and kobolds don't follow much of anything?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2012, 09:28:56 am »

Gnomes need to be elevated from mute, booze-obssesed weirdos to the tech-loving, dwarf imitating weirdos they are. Most fiction show gnomes as more technology, dwarves are more masonry.

Humans should probably have many different belief systems among regions, elves and dwarves have their own gods and godesses, goblins should have a shamanistic culture, and kobolds...well kobolds will pay lip service to their leaders, but when things go bad, they would slit the throats of their own leaders.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2012, 09:37:19 am »

Gnomes need to be elevated from mute, booze-obssesed weirdos to the tech-loving, dwarf imitating weirdos they are. Most fiction show gnomes as more technology, dwarves are more masonry.

I do agree gnomes and others minor races need to be handled better. It is just that the game REALLY doesn't handle minor races at the moment.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2012, 01:18:09 am »

It would be fun to see Gnomes traders.  Instead of corning the tree trade, Gnomes could corner the mushroom trade, Dark Gnomes, or strawberries, Mountain Gmones.  If ya try and trade them booze they go postal on ya.  As they believe drinks should be free, for the quaffing.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2012, 01:34:34 am »

I've always viewed the Dwarves as being a sort of Midieval-tech group: monarchs, steel, Siege weapons, etc. While the Humans are more like the Classical civilizations of the Mediterranean Sea: Seafaring, expansionist, Bronze-wielding, trading, republic-forming warrior-citizens. An idealized Greco-Rome hybrid, if you will. Elves fit into a Celtic-style Druidic civilization, Goblins have a similar tech to Humans, but are much less sophisticated in how it's used, and in every other aspect, i.e. Athens or Sparta compared to Dacia. Finally, the Koblods are just bothersome thieves; not really deserving of credit.

TL;DR, I like it how it is, and it works for my views.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2012, 09:58:56 am »

I do agree gnomes and others minor races need to be handled better. It is just that the game REALLY doesn't handle minor races at the moment.

I don't think they have to be a copy of WoW gnomes though. I don't see anything wrong with them being mute, alcohol-obssessed midgets, but I agree with Knutor. You could have a mushroom-oriented society or something along those lines.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2012, 10:02:44 am »

Plump Helmet Men.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2012, 10:05:08 am »

Plump Helmet Men.

The gnomes should revere them as godlike beings or deities, and live in mushroom houses.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2012, 01:21:50 pm »

Plump Helmet Men should be a hidden, highly advanced civ, determined to prove that they are not merely living food.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2012, 02:54:02 pm »

I'd like to see a bit more expansion on the minor races, really. It'd be nice if we could interact more with creatures like the plump helmet men, animal men, gnomes and such.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2012, 10:27:40 pm »

I'd like to see a bit more expansion on the minor races, really. It'd be nice if we could interact more with creatures like the plump helmet men, animal men, gnomes and such.

This and more interactions between civ-civ, civ-biome.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2012, 06:47:00 am »

Has nobody discussed the relationship between Kabolds and Dragons yet?  Kabolds are essentially (according to most fantasy lore anyway) lizard people that resemble anthropomorphic Dragons.  D&D has them worship Dragons as not just their Gods, but also the leaders of their civilizations.  Kabolds essentially live in "clans", and any Clan that has a Dragon leader can instantly unite other clans without one to their cause.  It's a sign of power and often a "holy calling" to join a differing clan if they have a Dragon Overlord.  They typically steal, raid, and kill, just to get the materials in order to please their Dragon ruler.  Or, they do it to ATTRACT a Dragon to them in order to have a ruler.

Without a Dragon, they "default" to their resident Shaman (if they have one) or the strongest among them (if they don't have a Shaman).  They rarely practice magic, and spend most of their time either stealing or goofing off.  They are intelligent, just most of them never get past the mentality of a child.  The ones that do eventually become a Shaman and a leader in their own right.

So...  Why has nobody demanded that Kabolds be more fleshed out than what we currently have?  Yeah, they steal in DF, and it's hard to "Make war" with them unless you deliberately let them steal a crapload of stuff...  But shouldn't they have their own rules and parameters beyond "steal from you and we have nothing we didn't steal"?

Perhaps if you make war with them, their Dragon leader shows up to help lay siege to your fortress?

Kabolds are rarely a threat except in overwhelming numbers, and most societies see them as a nuisance (even in D&D).  But many a Quest was born in which a Clan of Kabolds finally attracts a Dragon of its own and starts uniting all the other Clans in a region to a single purpose.  A Kabold Clan with a Dragon instantly elevates it from "minor annoyance" to "potentially kingdom ending".

I think all the other races tend to be fine as it is.

Humans are the "all arounders".  They're most typically "the jack of all trades" and "easiest to adapt" among the other races.  They can be whatever they choose to be.  Good.  Evil.  Smart.  Stupid.  Brave.  Cowardly.  Loyal.  Selfish.  They are horribly average, but it's their greatest strength.  It should remain that way.

Elves...  Well, I'd rather they not be HIPPIES and never build structures...  But, whatever.  They do commune with nature and all that.  They tend to be Erudites in "the ways of nature", but absolutely idiotic in terms of advancement and technology.  It should be a serious thing if an Elf picks up a METAL blade to go to war.  I see no reason they wouldn't adopt this strategy either.  They wouldn't necessarily have to even make it themselves.  They do barter so they could buy them from other civilizations.  And they go to war as well, so they could take them as "war spoils".

Goblins.  Well.  I don't know.  They pretty much work as they are.  No clue how they get TROLLS to work for them, but hey, I guess it makes them more deadly.  Other animals I could see them getting to work for them, but Trolls are a major hangup for me...  In any case, they are also fine the way they are.  They spread destruction and chaos simply because their leaders (demons) tell them to.  It works for me.  A race that was dominated by demons to do its bidding works well.  Especially since other kingdoms can also have demonic rulers (even humans!).

Honestly, I'd only like to see improvements over the Elves and the Kabolds.  Everything else tends to serve its purpose.

And not getting into the crazy philosophical debates on "the nature of man" and blah blah blah, where pseudo-intellectuals throw away their common sense in lieu of more grandiose ideals and observations of humanity (either painting the species as unbearably evil or nauseatingly good)...  I'd just like to say that humans most enduring trait is not their stamina or any other of that nonsense.  Our "advantage" in the world as a species is our INTELLIGENCE.  Somewhere along the line we developed brains that far outstrip those of any species before us or since.  We've used this intelligence to bend the world and the universe to our will.  It has dulled our senses and made our bodies more frail.  But, it doesn't matter because we don't need strong bodies when we can simply alter nature to our needs.  This isn't even a bad thing as some species ALSO alter nature to their needs (Beavers anyone?  They're just as destructive as we can be, but the environmentalists frequently leave this bit of information out of their tirades).  They, however, lack the intelligence to do this everywhere they go.  We don't just build dams either.  We build all manner of structure and invent all manner of tool in order to accomplish tasks more easily.  This has lead to our prodigious birthrate and lifespan in recent decades.  As a species we adapt well.  Not because we're hardy, but because we're smart enough to figure out how.  Also, because we're incredibly persistant.  We have our people die, it doesn't stop us.  We just go in a bit smarter and try again.

Oh, and the nature of "war" isn't "to pillage" as some have suggested in the thread.  Wars are fought for various reasons, and SELDOM over resources (indeed, more wars have been fought in the name of God than for any other reason.  And not just a Christian God either, others go to war for their Gods as well).  DF does "war" well.  It is most often started over a difference in opinion (as with the elves and cutting down trees) between species/races/civilizations.  War has seldom EVER been over resources.  It mostly resides with personal ambitions (like more power) or over political and religious ideals (like "slavery is bad" and "we must cleanse the heathens for our God demands it!").  I have to roll my eyes at any media (including the critically acclaimed movie "Watchmen") that tries to say "war is a product of too few resources".  If you don't have enough resources, you're not going to go to war against a society that has MORE than you, because it would be absolute suicide.  That portrayal of war is about as stupid as you can get while trying to pose as "intellectual".  The point of war is also often portrayed in the wrong light.  It isn't about "killing people and breaking things".  War is about getting the enemy to do what you want the enemy to do.  If you have to kill people to do it, then you kill them.  If you have to destroy things to do it, then you do.  But there are times when it can be absolutely FOOLISH to drop bombs on a civilization during a war.  Sometimes this can rally the populace of that society to the goal of destroying you in the war.  Some wars can even be won diplomatically.  War is for the sake of getting the enemy to do what you want, not for the sake of simply wiping you out.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11