Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Am I out of luck for flux?  (Read 1378 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Am I out of luck for flux?
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:34:46 pm »

So I'm having a lot of trouble finding flux stone on this embark.  I could have sworn it was listed in the embark info, but maybe I'm just crazy.

I have a lot of magnetite, and I'd love to get some steel for my soldiers, but having no flux is preventing that.  I've done some exploratory mining hoping to find some flux stone, but so far haven't turned up any.

I've tried reading the wiki, but it's not being a lot of help here.  The magnetite I have is all embedded in layers of shale, and below the shale is gabbro.  I've dug down quite deep, eventually breaching two cavern layers, looking for some sort of flux stone, but so far no dice.

The wiki claims that marble "forms entire layers".  Does that mean that it takes up entire z-levels, or that it just occurs in large slabs and not just veins?  In other words, should I keep digging around on the z-levels of shale looking for marble (or some other flux stone)?  Would it do me any good to keep digging down, or do sedimentary layers only form at high z-levels?

Similarly, what about bituminous coal?  According to the wiki, coal occurs in sedimentary layers, but I haven't seen any on this embark.  Presumably it could occur in the shale layers too, right?  Guessing I just got unlucky and don't have any coal on the map, which is at least acceptable since I do have plenty of trees for charcoal.

And in the end, if I did just imagine the flux on embark screen and there is none, are iron weapons and armor that much worse than steel?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Am I out of luck for flux?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:48:12 pm »

Marble is a layer stone. It takes up entire z-levels, not including the minerals found in it.

Sedimentary layers only occur at the highest stone layer (in your case, shale, which is sedimentary).

Bituminous coal is found in veins. The wiki has a good article on exploratory mining.

Iron is acceptable for combat purposes. You could always use marksdwarves with iron bolts.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:12:41 pm »

Ok, so is there any chance that there actually is any flux on this map then?  I have 2 or 3 layers of shale, which would be my only sedimentary layers then.  Unless I'm misremembering, flux is pretty much only found in sedimentary layers, right?

I must have completely imagined that there was flux at this embark.  Guess it's time to start pumping out iron gear.  At least until I can get to adamantine.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 04:20:30 pm »

There are five flux stones: Limestone, chalk, dolomite, marble, and calcite. The first three are sedimentary layer stones, marble is a metamorphic layer stone (and can thus be found pretty much anywhere if you're lucky), and calcite is found in small clusters in limestone and marble layers.

The site finder is somewhat notorious for lying about flux, but I haven't had any problems with it. Have you reached the magma sea or semi-molten rock yet? If not, there's still a chance. Does your embark have multiple biomes? They can have different stone layers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 04:40:07 pm »

What is the mineral scarcity setting of your world? Coal is considered a "mineral" so these days it is direly rare to ever see any naturally. If you do see it, you'll be drowning in it, but that'll be rare unless you set the scarcity to extremely low.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 05:10:30 pm »

My guess is there some marble hidden somewhere deep down.  Sometimes it spills over on the edges of the map (I've seen this on maps that supposedly don't have any flux).
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 06:00:24 pm »

Install DFHack

run "prospect all"

See if there are any flux stones on that. If there are none, embark finder lied. If there is, you just didn't look hard enough.

If you think DFHack is cheating, then boo. Just remove the files when you're done.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 08:28:39 pm »

Yeah, I'd prefer to avoid DFHack.  Maybe if I get desperate, heh.

I haven't dug down to the magma sea yet, so maybe there is some marble to be found.  If I do happen to find marble, will it cover the entire z-layer, or most of it?  Wondering if I should spend time actually doing exploratory mining on a z-level if I don't see marble immediately.

Only one biome, so there goes that option.

Guess I just have no coal, which isn't surprising.  I got unbelievably lucky on my first embark: I had hematite, coal and marble all very easily accessible.  Just spoiled me I suppose.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 08:32:16 pm »

Strangely enough, in nearly all my embarks I am swimming in lignite and coal. Guess that's just me. Been a while since I last saw bauxite.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 08:45:50 pm »

Marble occurs in layers if memory serves, but it also appears in large veins or clusters within a layer. IMS the flux that shows up in the location finder only shows that a vein or cluster of marble exists; it ignores layers for some reason. It can be hard to find, and deep down. There may not be enough for your needs.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 09:00:35 pm »

Marbe generally occurs in massive un-missable layers around 5 z-layers thick which span the entire map. It can be found at any depth, from the tops of mountains down to the magma sea.

Even if you don't have any flux stone on your map, if you order all the flux stone, steel bars, pig iron bars and steel anvils from the dwarvern caraven you'll have enough steel to equip everyone with steel weapons and a bit of steel armor.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 09:09:39 pm »

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid having to requisition the stuff from the liaison every year, but I did just that just to be safe.  I'll keep digging, maybe I'll get lucky and not let something unspeakable out of the caverns in the process.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 09:12:21 pm »

Install DFHack

run "prospect all"

See if there are any flux stones on that. If there are none, embark finder lied. If there is, you just didn't look hard enough.

If you think DFHack is cheating, then boo. Just remove the files when you're done.

That one doesn't always show flux stones either :(

Prospector, on the other hand is much more reliable and has a convenient interface, and doesn't need installing/uninstalling :)
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 12:27:25 am »

I'm on my 2nd embark from about 10 now, after i mastered not dieing after 2 years to ambush, titan or tantrum, where i actually have iron, before that, only tetrahedrite and galena. Lucky me i also have 5 layers of limestone. To complete it, i have 4 layers of quartzite for magma safe construction

thats 2 out of 10 that had iron, 1 even had flux, even though no flux was announced
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 02:19:36 am »

Install DFHack

run "prospect all"

That one doesn't always show flux stones either :(

Prospector, on the other hand is much more reliable and has a convenient interface, and doesn't need installing/uninstalling :)

At least for my copy of Prospector, you need to DFReveal for it to work as it'll only prospect the visible layers of the map. I usually just embark, reveal, prospect, then unreveal it without actually looking around.