Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Generic "How's my driving?" Thread.  (Read 11530 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Generic "How's my driving?" Thread.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 05:21:34 pm »

i suggest planning ahead for an entrance drawbridge. a 1 z-level drop is enough, and once complete will let you seal your fort against anything that could attack you (short of a flying building destroyer).

you may want to dig a tunnel toward the river, you could simply go due east from the stairs, the some ramps on the z-level below to the north and then open the channel to the river(carving a fortification is safest if you have stone there). set up a well and a grate or two, and you get a safe inside source of water and fishing, which will never freeze.

Building destroyer's cannot destroy bridges if they are on the outer side - the opposite of the raising side. If placed correctly (or side by side) you can create a retractable fortress.
>Have done... Pointless, takes up a lot of mechanic' time, scaffholding and is absolutely awesome.<

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 06:09:28 pm »

I keep reading that building destroyers can't destroy raised drawbridges...

...my standard fort design is ringed with walls and bridges, where open bridges allow dwarves easy access to the outside and raised bridges force invaders down a long trap-ridden hallway.

Had my first ever dragon show up - raised the bridges and waited to see if dragons could avoid traps; the question proved pointess when the dragon promptly blew one of the bridges away in a blast of fiery breath, and wandered into the center of my fort (where it was dispatched by the military, but hey...  thats what they're for...)

So, is it that dragons (and fire breath) are a special case, or was I just unlucky?

(edit to add: what I think may have happened is that the dragon used the breath on a critter out there, and the door just happened to be in the path of the blast and was collateral damage (though convenient for the dragon). This didn't occur to me until later, though, so I could not verify....)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:13:06 pm by jeffreyac »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 06:15:45 pm »

...my standard fort design is ringed with walls and bridges, where open bridges allow dwarves easy access to the outside and raised bridges force invaders down a long trap-ridden hallway.

Had my first ever dragon show up - raised the bridges and waited to see if dragons could avoid traps; the question proved pointess when the dragon promptly blew one of the bridges away in a blast of fiery breath, and wandered into the center of my fort (where it was dispatched by the military, but hey...  thats what they're for...)

So, is it that dragons (and fire breath) are a special case, or was I just unlucky?

(edit to add: what I think may have happened is that the dragon used the breath on a critter out there, and the door just happened to be in the path of the blast and was collateral damage (though convenient for the dragon). This didn't occur to me until later, though, so I could not verify....)

1. What was the bridge made out of?
2. Was the dragon on the inside, or on the outside of the raised bridge? If it was the inside, it would've had no problem tearing it down.

Quote from: Loud Whispers
Building destroyers cannot destroy bridges if they are on the outer side

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 06:22:25 pm »

Building destroyers can destroy bridges but you can build your bridges so that there is no way for a building destroyer to reach it when it's closed (for example by digging a hole under the bridge). Or I'm wrong and it's because of dragonfire. The wiki article doesn't seem to be 100% sure either.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:31:20 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 06:23:15 pm »

The bridge was stone, of an unexciting sort, but I don't remember exactly what type. And, yeah, he was outside - that was my confusion...  Outisde of the fort, with the bridge retracted to form a wall (in the proper direction; retracting towards the fortress) so he'd have been on the outside.

Everything I've seen says that's impossible; yet the bridge blew, and the weather fortress for my courtyard that day turned out to be 100% chance of moderate fire and scattered dragon.

My best guess, as you all seem to agree that the bridge should have been safe from conventional attacks, is that the fire really WAS aimed at a hapless critter between dragon and bridge, and the bridge was considered hit by just fire (and clearly was not fireproof material...)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:25:11 pm by jeffreyac »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »

Might be something to do with the dragon fire.... Hmph, science of this must be done.

*Edit, are you sure it wasn't a stone with a low melting point?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:35:29 pm by Loud Whispers »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 06:30:53 pm »

Bridges are completely indestructible. Dragonfire is hot enough to melt a lot of things.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 07:10:17 pm »

Bridges are completely indestructible.
Not to extremely high temperatures. If (for example) a very hot HFS or FB stands near a bridge that has a low melting point the bridge will melt.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 07:26:51 pm »

They're also vulnerable to cave-ins and tantrumming dwarves.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 09:35:48 pm »

well this thread likes to move.... I'm thinking about drialing the river to make a moat. y'know dam it up and redirect the flow but dwarfs dodging into it makes that a no go.

and about my other problem about the FPS, and suggestions? i just defragged and optimized my system to make it work but anything else i can do to make this a lot mor painless?
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 09:39:22 pm »

also i have a stray problem, half my animals that i took on embark turned stray on me.. how fix?

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 09:46:58 pm »

You don't need to fix it.  "Stray" just means the animal is tame but not the specific pet of any one dwarf.  That's a good thing, usually; if an animal is no one's pet, you can kill it without consequence for meat or as a meatshield, but if it's someone's pet, that dwarf will become upset when the animal dies (and you will not be allowed to mark it for butchering at all.)

As far as the FPS problem, the only things that I can recall that cause periodic FPS drops are temperature changes (sudden thaws or freezing), changes of season, or large amounts of moving liquid.  You might possibly have an underground liquid layer that's draining out into a layer beneath it, although usually that drains your FPS right from the moment you load up.

Also, re: the stairs issue--I've had cavern-cleanout military dwarves fall down the rickety stairways I use to open up the initial caverns (the fort itself is all spiral ramps, but I use simple stairs to get into the cavern so I can block them off easier) when they were attacked by a cave troll of some variety.  I didn't check the report to see whether the dwarf was already unconscious before he hit the ground and died, but he definitely died from falling down the stairs.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 11:07:00 pm »

umm you use pits to dump right???

edit so i dont post like 15 times in a row: i used my eyes, there was a garbage dump option... /feacpalm

I'm mining out the z-level under the bedrooms for a crypt and all i find is more limestone and coal. i'll have enough pig iorn for codpieces for everyone! even kids!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:57:03 pm by Kc_spot »

Oh look, A DF blog.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 12:02:45 am »

okay this needs another post: why are my horses showing brown down arrows?

Oh look, A DF blog.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:18 am »

Translation from horse to english: I need food. Assign a pasture zone over some grass and assign me to it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5