Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Black Friday! Discussion/Bragging thread.  (Read 3331 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Black Friday! Discussion/Bragging thread.
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 10:47:30 pm »

Hasn't there been at least a couple deaths by trampling every Black Friday since it became a major thing?  Now that's across the entire country, which is huge, so it's not like everyone loses their minds and people are dying all over the place.  There's just always those few isolated incidents at a handful of stores out of tens of thousands.

I got dragged into the Black Friday crap one time and it was a miserable experience.  Being in that store felt like being stuffed into a can of worms, but I wasn't afraid that the people around me were going to erupt into a frenzy and trample or stab me or anything.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 10:54:02 pm »

Aren't tramplings and whatnot common (relatively speaking) at ANY large gathering of frenzied people? Could be anything from this to over-excited sports fans (not even rioting ones).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 10:57:26 pm »

Frankly the thought of being surrounded by people, harried and cold, is almost enough to make me swear off buying things forever. I mean, shopping at 2am is great and all, but that's because the only people you have to contend with are the stockers and cleaners.

And I definitely wouldn't do it for some kind of deal. I like the people I love too much to fret over buying them things. If I think I should buy them something it's usually something specific, and I'm too impatient to hold on to it for any length of time.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2011, 02:04:49 am »

It seems I must amend the challenge to both rhyme well with electronics and be relevant and tactically advisable:P.

Gin'n tonics might be close though. Meh, I'm relatively happy with what I did.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 03:22:06 am »

As am I, it was fantastic. I just can't turn down a rhyming challenge on the rare occasions they arise.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2011, 07:29:28 am »

Fuck that noise. We went to the zoo instead. The animals were more polite and smelled better.  :P

I did see that some woman in California pepper sprayed like 20 people in a Wal-Mart over an XBox 360. I wonder if her defense will be to invoke Megyn Kelly and claim that she thought her fellow shoppers looked hungry.

Even better? She apparently managed to purchase said XBox and walk out. Who says being sociopathic doesn't pay?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2011, 09:18:18 am »

I've only done the Black Friday thing once, two years ago.

I went blindfolded, as part of the "Go a day without seeing" challenge on SF0, because the added difficulty of Black Friday store opening shopping was sure to be worth extra points.

It was actually an incredibly interesting experiment - despite the crowds, I was rarely jostled. (Mind you, I did try to "look" like a blind person so as to avoid derision, so the blindfold was actually a modified pair of sunglasses, and I had one of those tappy canes) People were helpful when asked for directions. I managed to find the items on my list and exit the store in maybe half an hour.

I don't recall if I actually got a good deal on them, it was just stuff I'd needed to buy anyways. But that wasn't really the point. :P

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2011, 12:57:49 pm »

Just learned that a fistfight broke out over a bunch of $1 towels at the Walmart where I grew up :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2011, 10:07:43 pm »

Just learned that a fistfight broke out over a bunch of $1 towels at the Walmart where I grew up :P
That place doesn't happen to be in Washington, does it? If so, weird, you may have grown up where I am. If not, that means this happened in multiple places.  ::)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2011, 11:33:36 pm »

That place doesn't happen to be in Washington, does it? If so, weird, you may have grown up where I am. If not, that means this happened in multiple places.  ::)

Greencastle, IN
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011, 07:49:40 pm »

I laughed at people that went crazy over black friday until I saw some of the steam sales. Granted I already had the games I wanted, but it still was pretty awesome. (Garry's mod was $2.50).
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 08:13:22 pm »

Heh, stayed home with family. Though I did enjoy the news story about muggers waiting in the parking lots as people came out of the stores.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2011, 09:19:14 pm »

The original meaning of Black Friday was that it was the first Friday of the year when the books of certain companies were in the black, meaning that they had finally pulled a profit for the year.  It became a general day-after-Thanksgiving sale to entice people to shop for the winter holidays a month early.  I am not sure when this happened, but the why is fairly obvious.

We did not go shopping this past Friday.  Instead, I talked a mattress company into delivering our new mattress set on Friday, as they promised, instead of on Monday, which they hoped would be acceptable.  Since we had spent the past two weeks sleeping on a thirty-year-old mattress set belonging to our cats and dogs, which our pets refused to vacate even when we were trying to sleep, we had no sympathy for the mattress company.  Two weeks was the fastest they could deliver something to us to replace our waterless waterbed and, especially considering what we paid for the mattress, I felt it was not asking too much that they deliver it when they promised.  It was dark out when the truck arrived, but at least it had stopped raining.  I was SO happy to have the new bedding.  :) :) :)

Oh, and the mental image I enjoyed was of Occupy protesters trying to block shoppers armed with pepper spray.  That didn't happen, but it could have.   :o
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:21:41 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 09:35:07 pm »

Occupy Walmart?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 09:36:43 pm »

My mom got a 3ghz quad core, 6GB RAM, nice-ish ATI graphics laptop for $500 online. So I guess it's not all bad.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4