Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Phsycological hardening is it possible?  (Read 1444 times)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Phsycological hardening is it possible?
« on: November 25, 2011, 12:03:51 am »

First off did I spell that right?

Now to the question is it possible to give my dorfs unhappy thoughts like say I kill all the pets.

Well could I basicaly make them hardend war veteran types who are like my left arms gone and my best freind and his pet are now blood pudding all over me an the floor but who cares ive seen 20 kittens ground up in a disk trap?You know like for a military.

Its been on the forums before but nobody said anything about if it was actualy possible,would the dorfs raly stop minding if others die around them?

Wow that looks much neater when I write with big spaces.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I found out how to cross things out.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Phsycological hardening is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 12:14:52 am »

Eventually if dwarves see enough death, they'll get the "getting used to tragedy/is a hardened individual/doesn't really care about anything anymore" traits which lessen the impact of death. Drop puppies in the middle of your dining room from twelve stories up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 01:48:07 am »

In my experience, they don't give a s*it about unassigned pets.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 02:01:43 am »

Drop fresh migrants into the middle of your dining room from twelve stories up then.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 02:48:34 am »

I find if your military kills enough goblins they stop caring.

I think it also bleeds over to your civies as well
May the mass times acceleration be with you

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 03:00:56 am »

Drop fresh migrants into the middle of your dining room from twelve stories up then.

LOL

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 08:49:01 am »

I find if your military kills enough goblins they stop caring.

I think it also bleeds over to your civies as well

So, killing hostiles without dwarf/pet casualties works too? This needs some testing, because if killing wild animals counts too, it's time to capture the weakest animals on the map, release them into a contained are(n)a, let them breed, and periodically draft someone in the military to slaughter them.

BTW, do goblins breed on the map?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:09:58 am »

It does not "bleed over" to your civvies, and killing hostiles won't harden them. Dwarves only get hardened from WITNESSING other dwarves die.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 10:57:30 am »

i think that a dorf sacrifice altar in the meeting hall would do. Sacrifice unwanted migrants by throwing them to scorpion pit walled with windows.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 12:04:13 pm »

Wow all I have to do to get an answer without garammar nazis yelling at me is to make the question torture based.

Thanks for the answers to my question,now I need to build a pet execution room.

Ill assigne puppys to soldeiers then probly atom smash them thats simple and works from anywere even if they dont see it.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 02:04:28 pm »

First of all I'd like to say that you grammar isn't that bad, a few mistakes here and there, but otherwise ok. "its just when pepol right lke this without any punctuation or capital letters that i strt to hve problms" (I couldn't even type that without my mac spell checker correcting several words, lol)

And the insert code makes everything in the area appear with the same character size, making it great for posting diagrams and raws. For example

Normal
XXXXXXXXXX
jjjjjjjjjj
llllllllll
wwwwwwwwww

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXX
jjjjjjjjjj
llllllllll
wwwwwwwwww
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 03:13:37 pm »

Nah, you'll want something that also gives them the "Has enjoyed in slaughter recently" happy thought. So basically get your dwarves to kill things.

That, or the migrant drop chute sounds good.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 05:33:47 pm »

pick a few slackers type every now and then,put them in a spike trap room till one dies the rest will train your med team up.

if you get a dwarf that is in permatent med care or bady crippled killing them is best for the fort.

if you set up the hospital a few level up from the main meeting room you can drop them on to spikes, let the body rot there a bit to harded them from the smell.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 05:55:08 pm »

pick a few slackers type every now and then,put them in a spike trap room till one dies the rest will train your med team up.

if you get a dwarf that is in permatent med care or bady crippled killing them is best for the fort.

if you set up the hospital a few level up from the main meeting room you can drop them on to spikes, let the body rot there a bit to harded them from the smell.

We want psycho-conditioning, not tantrumming dwarves! Miasma will only give dwarves bad thoughts, even one's that don't care about seeing death!

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 06:01:31 pm »

And the insert code makes everything in the area appear with the same character size, making it great for posting diagrams and raws. For example

Normal
XXXXXXXXXX
jjjjjjjjjj
llllllllll
wwwwwwwwww

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXX
jjjjjjjjjj
llllllllll
wwwwwwwwww

as does curier font type:
Normal
XXXXXXXXXX
jjjjjjjjjj
llllllllll
wwwwwwwwww
Currier
XXXXXXXXXX
jjjjjjjjjj
llllllllll
wwwwwwwwww

the added advantage of this is that you migth add some colors/styles in if needed

However for the OP i am not expert but doesn't simply military training gives some psichycal hardness? (haven't tested much but i think if you cycle train them a bit they will be more careless)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: [1] 2