Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kitting a military up in bone armor  (Read 2692 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kitting a military up in bone armor
« on: November 24, 2011, 06:44:44 pm »

So i'm attempting to run a grisly, evil-ish dwarf tribe, but there is no bone armor uniform template. Is there a way to tell the dwarves to use only one armor, and bone crossbows?

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kitting a military up in bone armor
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 06:46:01 pm »

If i pick no uniform, or even one of the preset templates, and there simply isn't any leather or metal armor to find (since i won't be making, buying, or unforbidding any that drops off enemies), will they go grab the bone armor anyways since it's the best thing available? What's the optimal way to get them using only bone armor.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:05:03 pm »

When set to no uniform, I believe they won't pick up anything. You can probably make a new uniform with items like gauntlets or greaves or whatever you can make out of bone, and they'll use that if metal items aren't available. I don't think anything made out of bone is going to be better than even the shittiest metal armor, though; as in, any metal armor your invaders come in is likely going to be equipped as soon as it's available, and for good reason.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:05:24 pm »

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:06:13 pm »

Type M for material in the uniform editing screen.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:47:53 pm »

I belive I should point out that in vanilla certain bone armor pieces are missing. Can't remember wich ones, however.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »

I'm aware bone armor is inferior, but now that i've learned the game i'm moving into trying various sort of style builds, templates, roles to play if you will.

Some pieces of bone armor can't be made eh? Hopefully it's not an important piece like the chest or helm

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 08:16:48 pm »

Hopefully it's not an important piece like the chest

Prepare for disappointment. Thankfully, this is something that can easily be modded, but not without a regen. I could tell you how to do this but I feel you should acquaint yourself with the wiki instead.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:19:06 pm by assimilateur »

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 09:13:10 pm »

Wait, so are the missing bone armor pieces a bug? If so i'd fix it, but if it's intended i'll just deal with it and use mail shirts for the chest piece.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 09:22:44 pm »

It's not a bug, saying it could be modded does not entail otherwise. What materials a piece of armor can be made of is controlled in the item_*.txt files in the raw folder. Off the top of my head, the tag that makes bone usable for an item is [BARRED] but you would have to check that on the wiki to make sure. Search for "armor tokens" or something like that.

If you feel it's cheating or whatever to mod the game like this then you're going to have to use leather armor and perhaps mail shirts out of metal.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 09:31:29 pm »

Yep that's cheating in my book, mail shirts it is! Thanks for the info mate