Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf vs Wild  (Read 4033 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf vs Wild
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 01:15:15 am »

Hippos. OH GOD HIPPOS! There is nothing worse then spending several hours on your awesome canyon wall fortress that lasts for over 10 years only to have a herd of hippos emerge from the fishing hole and proceed to lay waste to the rest of your fortress.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 04:04:50 am »

Hippos. OH GOD HIPPOS! There is nothing worse then spending several hours on your awesome canyon wall fortress that lasts for over 10 years only to have a herd of hippos emerge from the fishing hole and proceed to lay waste to the rest of your fortress.

lololol yeeess these are the stories i wanted. haha murderous hippos, i love this game

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 04:23:46 am »

Before reading this story, remember that it took place in 40d, and therefore the sizes of reclaim parties were scaled to the estimated difficulty of the enemies on the map, to a maximum of 70 dwarves.

I embarked on a savage river, and noticed that the river was full of sturgeon and carp. I decided to set up my fort as normal and deal with any contingencies that arose from the fish as they happened.

Within only a few minutes, all of my dwarves had charged the river and perished miserably. Several named fish now glared angrily at me from the frothing waters.

Out of curiosity, I launched a reclaim expedition. To my surprise, 70 steel clad dwarves were allocated to this mission. When I arrived on the map, I soon figured out why: in addition to the teaming carp and sturgeon from my original embark, the game had further added to them a full new complement of fish, resulting in an effective DOUBLING of the monster population.

I ordered my brave dwarves to ready their crossbows and charge the river. Scores of dwarves crouched by the banks, emptying their quivers futilely into the waves, while fish occasionally leaped up to drag an unfortunate dwarf with them to watery graves. Soon the waters ran red and severed body parts bobbed on its surface. Many of the dwarves soon ran out of bolts, and still being filled with an unquenchable desire to slay fish, dived into the treacherous river to engage in hand to hand combat. These would-be heroes only succeeded in joining the dwarves who had already become fish food.

Before long, most of the dwarves were dead, and the remainder tantrumming or going insane. Between the infighting and the continued onslaught of the carp, the numbers of my once-proud reclaiming army were quickly reduced to the single digits. The last sane dwarf managed to punch a berserker to death before the misery of the situation filled him with an unquenchable melancholy, and in his insanity he threw himself into the waves.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Zyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 01:36:32 pm »

I didn't have dwarf vs wild,I had space-pirates vs wild.(Metroid mod)
So I embarked on a heavily forested area next to a mountain,2miners,1metalsmith,1carpenter/woodcutter,1engineer/fisherman,1mason/engraver,and a farmer, and began to set up as standard..........
And then I see  the metalsmith and the mason down in the food stockpile, and a lone badger casually walking away as if this were standard procedure.Aparently, it broke their legs(Space pirates have exoskeletons)and then ran off because it probably guessed the woodcutter would come along soon.

Short simple version:Badgers are good at fighting off alien invasions, even without the can-learn tag.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 01:50:48 pm »

Started an above ground fort with 1 dwarf 1 pick and 1 axe and managed to build it up to a bustling community of 50 dwarves. I built a military of undertrained, underequiped, but scrappy dwarves who successfully killed two FB's with no casualties. Then the wolves came. A storm of them went straight into the heart of the village, I managed to get everyone indoors and I sent my scrappy underdogs to meet them. It took less than fifteen seconds for every single dwarf in my military to be ripped apart. I didn't bother locking the door to one house that nobody was in but I forgot it had basement access to the main stockpiles and transitively every single building with a basement. The only survivors were the handful of dwarves and an alpaca who managed to lock themselves in the beer hall.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »

Started an above ground fort with 1 dwarf 1 pick and 1 axe and managed to build it up to a bustling community of 50 dwarves. I built a military of undertrained, underequiped, but scrappy dwarves who successfully killed two FB's with no casualties. Then the wolves came. A storm of them went straight into the heart of the village, I managed to get everyone indoors and I sent my scrappy underdogs to meet them. It took less than fifteen seconds for every single dwarf in my military to be ripped apart. I didn't bother locking the door to one house that nobody was in but I forgot it had basement access to the main stockpiles and transitively every single building with a basement. The only survivors were the handful of dwarves and an alpaca who managed to lock themselves in the beer hall.

Quote from: Lolwut poor dwarves
Dwarf Child: Urist Mcmom, there's something in the walls....

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 11:46:08 am »

More stories!

runhidesurvive

• Bay Watcher
  • And let there be a moderate amount of light!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 12:32:41 pm »

just now i made an embark on a frozen place, i mined out my base now all the ice it thawing... my fisher dwarf punched a asp in the face, it ate him

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 02:15:03 pm »

Urist Mc(In)CompetentSpeardwarf took a break from training, wandered over to the outer wall where the gate would be once I got around to designating it to be built.  He brought is +pine training spear+ and -pine shield- with him.  While standing there, on break, a panda bear ambled past him.  Urist McSpeardwarf, for some unknown reason, decided to poke the bear with a stick ...

About three pages of "... bites the speardwarf in the (head|upper body) and latches on firmly ...; ... shakes the spear dwarf around ..." later Urist McDumbass died of his injuries and the panda continued on its way with nothing more than a bruised leg.

Due to the fight the panda earned a name.  I can't remember exactly what it is now (horrible with names), but it basically implied that Urist McIdiot was to blame for the panda getting named. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »

Once I had a fortress I was simply using for experiments. Once I had finished my experiments, on a whim, rather than abandoning I drafted two full squads with "no uniform" and sent them after a hapless elephant. The mob of angry dwarves chased the terrified elephant around the map, I believe only one dwarf got mangled (into a murky pond, no less) before they managed to gang-pile and subdue it with fists, feet and teeth. I finished it off with a pick-dwarf and had it butchered.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 05:27:19 pm »

This was one of the early .31 forts before the military was totally worked out.

I had breached the caverns.   

Which happened to be full of Elk Birds.

Who were curious about this strange structure being built in the rock above them.

I now have a trickle of Elk Birds heading up into my fort.  I couldn't get any traps in the way because my engineers kept being scared away by Elk Birds and canceling the tasks. 

So next thing I know, I have a half dozen Elk Birds in the fort scaring the crap out of everyone.  I had only a few novice military, so I set them chasing the Elk Birds down.  The Elk Birds were faster than my military and running away from them just as fast as the military was running them down.  Also the pathing was weird in this version so the Elk Bird would run down to the end of a hallway, turn around and run back up, and rather than intercepting the Elk Bird on the way back, the military would run to the end of the hall, turn around and chase the Elk Bird back up again.  Meanwhile more Elk Birds are heading up from the caverns to join their friends.

Cue Benny Hill music.

After a couple months of being scared away from their jobs and canceling tasks, being scared by Elk Birds, being chased by Elk Birds, being unable to eat or drink on account of Elk Birds scaring them out of the food/drink stockpile, the tantrums started.  Tables being thrown, workshops being torn down, other dwarves being punched in the face and worse.

All meanwhile, my military is still chasing Elk Birds.

So then my pissed-off dwarves finally started trying to punch the Elk Birds.  Who decided they were tired of this game and started kicking back.  When it's unarmed dwarf versus something that looks like an ostrich on steroids, it's usually the dwarf on the losing end.

Bits of Elk Birds and dwarves are littering the passageways.  Workshops are in shambles.  Dwarves are throwing things and punching anything that gets in their way.  My military is playing Keystone Kops with these birds. How could this possibly get any worse.

An Ambush!  Curse them!

A half dozen goblins slaughtered every single dwarf in the fort.

The Elk Birds, presumably, escaped.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 09:17:16 pm »

Cue Benny Hill music.
The name of that music is Yakety Sax.

Amazing bit of !!fun!! you had there, however.  :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 02:03:13 am »

I HEART THREAD.

I can't remember any amusing wild life stories other than many, many of my dwarves being hideously mutilated and murdered by sadistic werewolves. I guess that is pretty amusing when I think about it.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 11:02:51 am »

Cue Benny Hill music.
The name of that music is Yakety Sax.

Yep, but I figure more people know it as "The Benny Hill music."    :)

If only I had thought to record a movie of it happening, I totally would have fast-forwarded it set to that tune...
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 02:07:12 pm »

On my first embark I had a little problem with badgers. I had an incident that is referred to simply as the Harrowing. I still wake up screaming and cluthching my eyes.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3