Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf vs Wild  (Read 4047 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf vs Wild
« on: November 24, 2011, 05:58:17 pm »

If anyone has good stories of their dwarves tangling with wildlife in untamed, sinister or even joyous wilds, share! Caverns too, the first time (and only) time my militia fought a GCS i couldn't stop laughing. It latched onto the first dwarf's head, puncturing the skull and injecting him with venom, then kept shaking him around by the head as the rest of the squad stabbed it for 3 or 4 pages of combat logs. The thing kept shaking the incapacitated dwarf around by the skull until it died, and the dwarf eventually died of suffocation if i recall.

There are plenty of success stories on these boards i find, since most people here seem to have mastered the game, but i'm sure everyone has good failure stories too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dwarf vs Wild
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »

I embarked on a red sand desert. Pretty fun, followed the above ground rule of no digging (besides for quarrying).

Giant Badgers.

Every single week, Giant Badgers. It was horrible, in the end I had a small number of battle hardened Dwarves in Badger Bone armour. It was never enough.

Goblin Ambushes and the Giant Badgers force me to move to the other side of the river, I think I'm safe for now. Start building my Armok Colosseum, decked in precious metals. A soapmaker accidentally releases all of my caged Giant Badgers, they escape inside my fortress. Crippled beyond sane levels, but I hold on.

Goblins ambush from the other side of the map. The river freezes. In a desert. Giant Badgers cross.

Two Dwarves survive, entombed beneath the ground. They carve their stories into a labyrinth of their own making, before dying, forgotten by time.
[This was the first successful fort I had when I first played DF.]

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:23:31 pm »

The first fort I ever played suffered several deaths when a sasquatch wandered into my wide open and defenceless entrance and made his way to the dormitory. I found it hilarious, of course. I was still learning the ropes, but I eventually managed to get someone equipped with an axe and killed it.

My next encounter with the wild was alligators. I embarked in a swamp with a couple of rivers dividing the map up into small chunks. My woodcutter was the first to go, although he gave the thing some nasty cuts and forced it to retreat. Next I lost my fisherdwarf, and then a jeweler who wandered near the riverbank to pick up the woodcutter's remains to put in the casket. My carpenter had a leg bitten off a few days before the first migrants arrived. I got things under control after that, but I've been paranoid in swamp embarks ever since.

There was also another time when a herd of camels wandered into my fortress and became lost in the corridors. They began kicking dwarves to death left right and centre. I ended up walling them into the passage they were in and left them there.

And on my first volcano embark a duck wandered into the fort. I saw a combat report so I checked it out. My cook had seen the duck, charged at it, and ran into an obstacle. :/

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:43:42 pm »

On my experimental aquifer fort, things had gotten pretty bad, food was low, only a trickle of booze, and we couldn't dig any lower than 2 levels. So I sent my would-be militia commander out to kill a wandering camel.

She chased around around the map for a while, constantly bruising it with her mace. It almost looked as if it was going to die, then it turned around and killed her with a kick to the head.

That fort didn't last very long...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:48:15 pm »

On my experimental aquifer fort, things had gotten pretty bad, food was low, only a trickle of booze, and we couldn't dig any lower than 2 levels. So I sent my would-be militia commander out to kill a wandering camel.

She chased around around the map for a while, constantly bruising it with her mace. It almost looked as if it was going to die, then it turned around and killed her with a kick to the head.

That fort didn't last very long...

Camels seem to be adept at doing this D:

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »

This gives me an idea! Dwarfs hunt for vermin when there's nothing to eat right? Well maybe if there's nothing to drink they could hold on to life a little longer by drinking their own urine at the cost of a bad thought.

No booze? Better drink my own piss.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 09:27:14 pm »

Muttonhawk, there's something dastardly and dark called "Water".

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 02:29:52 am »

This gives me an idea! Dwarfs hunt for vermin when there's nothing to eat right? Well maybe if there's nothing to drink they could hold on to life a little longer by drinking their own urine at the cost of a bad thought.

No booze? Better drink my own piss.

I don't think dwarves urinate.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 05:11:01 am »

They do have pus though, that's relative close on the level of disgust, plus it's the same colour as well!

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 05:54:16 am »

They do have pus though, that's relative close on the level of disgust, plus it's the same colour as well!

So the dwarfs either eat pimple juice... or get New Zealand accents?
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 06:23:42 am »

Untamed wilds, temperate forrest.

Badgers, giant badgers everywhere! up to 4 groups on the map at any one time. Fishing has been canceled due to high mortality and wounded rate among the fishermen and their pets.

And in winter, panda men. They cant fight, they dont have loot and you cant eat them. They run into my wildlife traps in big groups, making them useless against the goblin ambush/siege that follows. They are good target practice though.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 07:44:31 am »

I embarked on a red sand desert. Pretty fun, followed the above ground rule of no digging (besides for quarrying).

Giant Badgers.

Every single week, Giant Badgers. It was horrible, in the end I had a small number of battle hardened Dwarves in Badger Bone armour. It was never enough.

Goblin Ambushes and the Giant Badgers force me to move to the other side of the river, I think I'm safe for now. Start building my Armok Colosseum, decked in precious metals. A soapmaker accidentally releases all of my caged Giant Badgers, they escape inside my fortress. Crippled beyond sane levels, but I hold on.

Goblins ambush from the other side of the map. The river freezes. In a desert. Giant Badgers cross.

Two Dwarves survive, entombed beneath the ground. They carve their stories into a labyrinth of their own making, before dying, forgotten by time.
[This was the first successful fort I had when I first played DF.]

I love how you call this a successful fort  :P

I tried a volcano embark, was a cool site with a cinder cone flanked by tropical jungles, a large flat basin area, and a river cutting thru the map and one side of the volcano.  I penned my animals in the basin, first thing, only to have them smelled by three alligators that crawled out of the river and nearby ponds.  The alligators were immediately set upon my pack of wardogs, who tho brave and valourous, fell almost immediately.  The other animals were soon running for their lives thru the jungle (who would have known alligators could run so fast, so long!), when suddenly my dwarves came down with the second detachment of animals to be penned.  (I always bring a good stock of breeding pairs on embark).  Smelling much more savory dwarf meat, the alligators turned on my would-be pioneers, and had soon chased down and eaten everybody and everything save two dwarves and a cat.   

All of this within the first three minutes of embarking.   

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 01:35:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You wouldn't? :P
Also, damn 3 mins? Interior decorator alligators be hatin'. Also, they do move very quickly. And they don't give up. You are not the first to have discovered this... And certainly not the last. WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END?!!??!

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 06:22:13 pm »

My fortress had a population of 59 dwarfs and 40 animals. I had just uncovered the first cavern later. I sent my miners to excavate the galena and tetrahedrite for my military I was going to set up soon. I forgot about them after a few in game months, but I began getting death reports. I investigated and found it was a cave crocodile causing the deaths. I sent in my undertrained military to handle it. They were slaughtered and the croc was eventually taken down by a miner after it killed several more things. In the end, only 20 dwarves survived. Soon after a forgotten beast arrived...
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 01:01:59 am »

you didnt have enough ores in other areas? i tend to leave cavern ores and gems alone, unless its diamond, platinum, aluminium or candy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2 3