Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coffins for pets? Come on  (Read 1888 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coffins for pets? Come on
« on: November 24, 2011, 01:35:31 pm »

I mean really, dig them a shallow grave and be on with life. Dwarves in this game can be such pansies

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coffins for pets? Come on
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:43:20 pm »

I drown pets to save fps - my blacksmith isn't always busy so I have him churn out gold coffins simply to keep him busy and cause I'm chock-full of gold - I have a special mausoleum for the sacrificed pets.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Warped

• Bay Watcher
  • Crowded elevators smell different to dwarfs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:44:29 pm »

You've obviously never raised a pup to a dog in real life. I love my dogs more than some family members.

Pets > Humans/Dorfs

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 01:50:57 pm »

I think it's cute that my dwarves feel a need to honor their dead pets like their dwarven kin. It shows that, even though they can be insane, sadistic, or down right retarded, they can still show love for something other than they're own kind.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:55:19 pm »

I have all pets pastured in an enclosed room. As more and more of them are crammed in, they begin to bite and claw at one another. Over time, the walls are painted red with their blood and the room is always choked with miasma. Now and then i'll order the butcher to round up a few of them and butcher them for bones if a moody dwarf needs some. Survival of the fittest! The dead rot where they fall, dwarves should be hardened emotionless forces for industry and battle imo.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 01:59:02 pm »

you'd need to be able to fill in said grave for it to work.
as of yet, no means save obsidian casting or controlled cave ins can do such a thing.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 01:59:39 pm »

It shows that, even though they can be insane, sadistic, or down right retarded...

Oh, the dwarves are just fine. We are the sadistic ones. If we didn't play, the dwarves wouldn't be drunk all the time.

You've obviously never raised a pup to a dog in real life. I love my dogs more than some family members.

I'm a cat person myself, dogs are cute but I couldn't stand raising one. I'll try not turn this thread into a dog vs. cat thread...

I have all pets pastured in an enclosed room. As more and more of them are crammed in, they begin to bite and claw at one another. Over time, the walls are painted red with their blood and the room is always choked with miasma. Now and then i'll order the butcher to round up a few of them and butcher them for bones if a moody dwarf needs some. Survival of the fittest! The dead rot where they fall, dwarves should be hardened emotionless forces for industry and battle imo.

I did that for a time, but drowning leaves the same effect at a fraction of the time and, more importantly, I don't want to leave the masterfully built drowning room inactive between sieges.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 02:02:46 pm »

The dead rot where they fall, dwarves should be hardened emotionless forces for industry and battle imo.
Then you're not doing it right. They won't get hardened under your current arrangement. No, you need a pet-drop-chute show in your dining room or meeting zone to harden your dwarves.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 02:09:12 pm »

The dead rot where they fall, dwarves should be hardened emotionless forces for industry and battle imo.
Then you're not doing it right. They won't get hardened under your current arrangement. No, you need a pet-drop-chute show in your dining room or meeting zone to harden your dwarves.

lolol that is brilliant, is such a thing possible?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 02:18:27 pm »

lolol that is brilliant, is such a thing possible?

By asking that question, grasshopper, it shows you still have much to learn. (well, there's always much to learn about df, but asking if something is possible in dwarf fortress is one heck of a question.)

EDIT: heh, to actually to be a bit more clear about the question and not just give an implied meaning, yes. it is possible. Simply put a hatch cover/drawbridge over a >10 z-level fall into your dining room, pasture animals over it, pull the lever. For a bit cleaner system, you can make windows surrounding the impact area, and even make them land on a hatch cover, not the ground, so then you can then open it to drop the remains into a rotting pit below, to gather bones.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:22:05 pm by acetech09 »

sniken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 02:29:24 pm »

I turn off pets burial on coffins by default

look in d_init.txt and change
[COFFIN_NO_PETS_DEFAULT:NO]
to
[COFFIN_NO_PETS_DEFAULT:YES]

this way when ever you make a coffin a burial place, it will have the allow pets disabled for you.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:40:32 pm by sniken »

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 03:21:27 pm »

I just had to have my cat put to sleep due to illness the other day--she was only 10--and well, she will have an urn.  In Dwarf Fortress, I don't usually bother, unless it ws a really special animal.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 04:28:43 pm »

Q: If it takes a little myth and ritual to get us through a night that seems endless, who among us cannot sympathize and understand?

A: AzuredreamsXT

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 07:29:17 pm »

I atomsmash my pets, so my dwarves get some really unhappy thoughts about "Lost a pet" and "Forced to endure the decay of a pet".

They'll get over it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »

Well apparently my post about weapon traps and kittens didn't get posted here.

Code: [Select]
      C
      ~
      ~
      ~
      ~
    Splat
Large Serrated Disc

+
Dining room
      =
Dorf's don't give a flying... Oh yeah forum rules.
Pages: [1] 2