Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hall of History  (Read 1476 times)

Crozarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hall of History
« on: November 24, 2011, 05:04:09 am »

Any comments and constructive criticism is welcome.
_____
|0    +
|0    +
|0    +
|0    +
|0    +
|0    +
|0    +
|0    +
 --  --

Key =

0 = Coffin
| _ -- = Wall
+ = Engraving

The purpose of this hall is to basically serve as a place where history is recorded. I will tell my dwarves to engrave one more tile of the engraving wall each time something important happens to the fortress. It might also be cool for one of my Dwarves to be struck down by an Elephant, then I engrave the wall opposite to him

'This is an engraving of Urist McFarmer and an Elephant, Urist McFarmer is being struck down by the Elephant, The Elephant is striking a triumphant pose'

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Hall of History
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 05:09:20 am »

I like how you think your dwarves will engrave important things, wanna know what's going to happen? It's going to one of your engravers cowering in fear of coachroches or something silly like that.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 05:14:12 am »

I did a similar thing once, where I carved out a decent area of 1x5 walkways branching from central corridors, then smoothed and engraved them a bit at a time.  I called it the Dwarven Library, as it was for storing history and also the walls resembled bookshelves.  Good fun.

The main problem you'll probably have with your setup is that it's a crapshoot as to whether the wall opposite a given dwarf's resting place ends up with his life recorded on it, as opposed to some unrelated event.

"Urist McSoapMaker has Drowned!"
/bury
/engrave
"This is a masterful engraving by Urist McGiantessLover.  The image is of Giantess McHugeface and dwarves.  The Giantess McHugeface is laboring.  The dwarves are bowing.  This image relates to the settling of Giantess McHugeface in the Blueness of Forests in 734."
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:17:46 am »

I remember when I wanted to have epic engravings in my community fort and they just engraved random junk like the mayor surrounded by strawberries or the mayor hugging 2 dogs and so on...

I will tell my dwarves to engrave one more tile of the engraving wall each time something important happens to the fortress.

Did you mean that you will add engravings like this? You should have multiple engravings for one coffin so you get more chances for something cool to happen. Even better if every coffin is in its own room with engraved floor and walls smoothed, at least I prefer it that way.
________
|0    +++++
|0    ++++
|0    +++
|0    ++
|0    ++
|0    ++
|0    ++
|0    ++
 --  --
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 05:20:07 am »

It would be awesome if you could influence things your engravers engrave. Alas, no such system exists (so far). You have a nice idea but the reality of the game currently doesn't support making it.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 05:21:53 am »

>engrave floor
>check engraving
>not of fort
>le smooth the ground and go to step one.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 05:33:21 am »

>engrave floor
>check engraving
>not of fort
waaaaait, you can SMOOTH, engraved floors? My mind is equal to or greater than blown!
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 05:34:06 am »

>engrave floor
>check engraving
>not of fort

You learn something new everyday.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 05:34:31 am »

Yup. Of course, the other option is magma, which also works.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 05:37:34 am »

Hmmm. For magma, you'd need a controlled dropper, say a bunch of floodgates. And you'd want it to only drop one tile of magma.

Of course, you could use DFHack to put the magma on, but blah.

Hmmm, perhaps a pump could use a reservoir to pump the magma down a drop. But I'm not sure on magma stuff, so idk if that'd work.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 05:43:15 am »

waaaaait, you can SMOOTH, engraved floors?

Nope. He probably left out some minor detail like having to pave the engraved floor first in order to make it available for smoothing again. I tested it now and smoothing an engraving without defacing it first won't work. That's easy and not even tedious when dealing with floors, but I don't know if you can deface wall engravings at all, other than by getting rid of the walls themselves.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 05:46:41 am by assimilateur »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 06:31:58 am »

waaaaait, you can SMOOTH, engraved floors?

pave the engraved floor first in order to make it available for smoothing again.

Spoiler: >mfw i read that: (click to show/hide)
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 08:45:41 am »

Yep, re-engraving floors requires you to build a floor tile on it first.
Then remove it and re-engrave, hope it's important. Repeat until satisfactory engraving has been made.

As for walls, those are untouchable once engraved. Magma only destroys floor engravings, and built walls can't be engraved on.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 12:23:40 pm »

I would suggest replacing the engraved walls with statues. That way, you can choose which ones you set up where.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 01:43:26 pm »

Yeah, I spent a lot of time setting up some nice engraved areas in several of my fortresses. In the past, this meant I would at least have fort history engraved all over the place, although it wasn't often that important. Now, however, I get a thousand images of some random elf striking down a named chicken a hundred years ago. Even if I set the world history to the minimum, there always manages to be at least two or three historical events in the Legends menu which for some reason are infinitely more important to my dwarfs than anything that's actually happened in their lives.

That, and pig tails. They sure do love engraving pig tails.
Pages: [1] 2