Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Uplink (And all other Introversion games)  (Read 7514 times)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Uplink (And all other Introversion games)
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 01:06:06 pm »

I FUCKING SUUUUUCK AT UPLINK.

And one of the very first Darvinia missions is already unwinnable because I only have 149 Darvinians alive :/
What, specifically, are you bad at in Uplink? Maybe I can give you pertinent advice.
The entire "paying attention to other people tracing yur actions and disconnecting before they can track you"-thing.
Just get the trace detector thingy ASAP, (highest version) and ALWAYS have it on. ALWAYS. Also, remember to wipe your internic logs.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 01:14:07 pm »

Wow, I ninja'd somebody by almost an hour. Must be a record or something Time travel, duh.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 01:24:30 pm »

Wow, I ninja'd somebody by almost an hour. Must be a record or something Time travel, duh.
My cat is a slow typer.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2011, 03:26:04 pm »

And one of the very first Darvinia missions is already unwinnable because I only have 149 Darvinians alive :/

I see what you did there.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2011, 03:37:09 pm »

Have any of you tried any of the Uplink mods? Some on the list look pretty interesting with a couple even addressing the problem I mentioned earlier.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2011, 03:55:34 pm »

I've tried plenty of them, Vattic.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2011, 03:57:57 pm »

Am I right in saying you have to pick just one? Any suggestions or comments about them?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2011, 04:01:41 pm »

No, you are wrong. unless you're talking about the FBI mod and S01, which come with thier own .exe and don't seem to work with the Steam v1.54 Uplink version. those you do need to pick only one at a time of, I think.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011, 04:07:57 pm »

It looks like most of the mods on the page I linked have their own .exe. Annoying considering I'd like features from a couple of them. I'm stuck choosing between Simply, S01, and the FBI one.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2011, 09:12:57 pm »

Finally broke the bank properly and got the best setup ever. Ready for the endgame, as well as replacing my TRINITY machine many times over (including software).

Wow, this was a fun game.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2011, 09:14:08 pm »

Which endgame? ;D
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2011, 09:28:24 pm »

Which endgame? ;D
I already fought for good, so maybe evil this time.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 11:35:48 am »

Okay, a little bummed about the "hopping" business.  I think the game just got to tedious to play thorugh.

I figured out how to save connection maps when I found the "save" button (maybe the interface should include things other than blue...) so I was able to easily store a massive array of hops through all the listed public servers. 

I was fairly pleased with that, until I discovered that it didnt actually slow down the better traces.  So I finally broke down and read the help file.  It seems you get better trace obfuscation when using an admin login on a secure system!  well, thats counter intuitive as its generally much easier to call a secure network's NOC and ask for help than it is to get logs from some poorly maintained public access system, but WHATEVER.  Adds a new dimension to the game.  nice.

but then you eventually LOSE admin or your credentials get revoked the more you hop through a system.  So if you build a large connection map, you'll have to continually re-hack all those systems!  thats nice and realistic, but you can only save one map at a time.  and considering you have to use multiple hops to crack admin on systems before you can add them into your main connection map, it seems like a tedious self-defeating cycle.

How do people find the patience to play this thing?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 11:53:01 am »

You don't need an admin credentials, just open InterNIC and grab a crapton of connections. enough hops and even the SS database will be slowed down in tracing you, as long as you can quickly jump into InterNIC and erase the logs.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5