Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help Finding an Embark  (Read 940 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Help Finding an Embark
« on: November 23, 2011, 07:39:57 pm »

No matter how many times I gen and regen, I can never seem to get A Joyous Wilds on an ocean. Ideally, it would have a fair amount of beasts, metals, and some flux, but the important thing is really a Joyous Wilds coast. Thanks in advance.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Help Finding an Embark
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:42:31 pm »

A few assorted tips:

Raise the 'good square count in large subregions' as high as it will go before rejections. Most large regions are ocean, and vice versa.
Raise the 'good square count' for small and medium subregions too. Was it JW land or JW water you were after?
Gen an island world.
Raise the minimum savagery and weight it towards higher values, again as high as it will go before rejections happen.
Increase the number of civs allowed. It depends on the exact parameters, but I find that worlds geared towards as many shots as possible at that one perfect site get a lot of civ dieout. Alternatively, either cut worldgen off as early as possible or go through Legends to find a cutoff point for the next regen of that seed. I sometimes do this to embark in the year my civ is supposed to die out.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:46:33 pm »

Thanks. Though I ended up not finding a Joyous wilds with both land and ocean Joyous, I was able to find another favorable location
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:01:01 pm »

You do realize that in picking a good biome, you are picking a fight with the unicorn, the deadliest creature known to dwarves?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:13:07 pm »

You do realize that in picking a good biome, you are picking a fight with the unicorn, the deadliest creature known to dwarves?

aside from their own suicidal tendencies
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:48:12 pm »

Precisely the point. !!Unicorn!! anybody?

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:10:08 pm »

Or mod unicorns to be tamable, and trainable. WAR UNICORNS.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 09:03:17 am »

The one instance I embarked in a joyous environment, my hunters bagged unicorns single handedly. They were skilled marksmen though, maybe that's why. Still, from reading the wiki I assumed they were as dangerous as giant cave spiders or something.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 12:37:41 pm »

The one instance I embarked in a joyous environment, my hunters bagged unicorns single handedly. They were skilled marksmen though, maybe that's why. Still, from reading the wiki I assumed they were as dangerous as giant cave spiders or something.

There's a big difference between the two. Unicorns are lethal because their horns basically function as spears.

A giant cave spider is scary because they paralyze their prey and then kill them. Take that away and they wouldn't be nearly as bad.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 01:35:28 pm »

Or mod unicorns to be tamable, and trainable. WAR UNICORNS.

They should funny till the elves bring some in a siege. Try joking about them then.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.