Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ambush! What do i do?  (Read 4185 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ambush! What do i do?
« on: November 23, 2011, 05:30:57 pm »

I have a goblin ambush on my fortress, no matter what i do they always one shot kill my hammerdwarves who suck for some reason (Urist McHammerDwarf strikes at goblin mcgoblin, the shot is parried! Goblin mc goblin stabs urist mchammerdwarf in the head with her sword, tearing apart the brain)

No matter how many times i savescum my 3 men army always gets wasted by the goblins.

Any way to stop this? I saved right at the ambush so im not sure what to do.
Is there a tool i can use to kill off the goblins (My militery doesnt seem to be ready yet.)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Ambush! What do i do?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 05:38:29 pm »

Think of a fun/clever way to defeat the little green ones using a wacky assortment of dwarven mechanics, or make a bunch of squads and fill them with as many dwarves as you can, then dogpile the ambush and hope for the best. Alternatively, you could always...you know, lose.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Runesmith has something along the lines of an insta-death tool.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 05:38:50 pm »

Runesmith can be used but if it is a siege then you will not get migrants or caravans anymore because afaik it wont remove the "siege" sign. Also, are they armored? I try to give them a helm and a few caps... otherwise yes they will be slaughtered. Try training them on animals or a danger room if you're into that stuff

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 05:56:27 pm »

Enemy race dies in a pink cloudCauses all creatures of a type to go *poof* in a little pink cloud. Put this under the creature you want to never appear again. Goodbye invasions! Runesmith can also remove species easily.

[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
     [BOILING_POINT:0]
     [STATE_COLOR:ALL:PINK]
     [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:poof!]
Warning: As with all cheats that involve the words "[BOILING_POINT:0]", the mist created when the creature boils will be very cold. In fact, 0 DF degrees is many thousands of real-world degrees below absolute zero. Such cold temperatures will rapidly degrade weak items like cloth and leather, and may pose a danger to dwarves caught in the cloud without adequate cold weather clothing. You might have to experiment to find a temperature that will guarantee boiling without posing a danger to your dwarves.

Note: You must add this text after all the material you want to boil is defined. To be safe, just place it at the very end.

WOuld this work? Taken from the DF wiki, and if i use it, then remove the coding once the goblins die, will they ambush me later? Or will it kill all goblins in the world?

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »

As a previous poster already indicated, from your description this sounds like an (lack of) armor problem.  Goblin ambushes are fairly small and usually easily dispatched.  Perhaps try some Marksdwarfs?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:05:54 pm »

As a previous poster already indicated, from your description this sounds like an (lack of) armor problem.  Goblin ambushes are fairly small and usually easily dispatched.  Perhaps try some Marksdwarfs?

The goblins are right next to my entrance, so thats not really an option.

Would that "turn enemies into pink mist" cheat effect ALL goblins in the entire world, or only ones in the site?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »

No idea. I think you should use the inevitable bloodshed as a valuable learning experience, though. You could always reclaim afterward.

Owly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 06:10:19 pm »

If you have a way to seal off your base you may want to do that. It's preferable to defeat goblin ambushes, but it's by no means mandatory.
!!Emergency Irrigation!!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 06:14:51 pm »

Hell, you don't even have to defeat all of 'em. Just off enough of them to demoralize the squad, and the rest will head for the map edge quicker than a dwarf to a booze stockpile.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 06:15:23 pm »

Just remember OP.

Losing is fun.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 06:20:06 pm »

Would that "turn enemies into pink mist" cheat effect ALL goblins in the entire world, or only ones in the site?
Only the ones on the site. For now, the rest of the world mostly ceases to exist once you embark.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 06:34:27 pm »

Make a burrow deep in the fort and order all civilians there.  Pick a narrow hallway within the fort and force the goblins to follow you there (since they are already by the entrance)  Engage goblins there in the narrow--odds are better when you pile up, and it holds the goblins from isolating a dwarf and cutting them down.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 06:58:14 pm »

How's your equipment and training? Untrained dwarf without armour is just a pincushion with an axe. Iron/bronze armour should provide decent protection from most goblin weaponry, substitute with copper if no iron is available. In my experience, helmets are a first priority as they prevent most instakills (not that a pierced lung with internal bleeding is going to be any better without a good hospital).

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 07:30:46 pm »

Does your entrance have a door?  Lock it.

Ambushers can't pick locks.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 07:59:13 pm »

I know you've received a lot of other possibly useful answers, but I have a little saying that you might also wish to take to your heart:

If in trouble,
 if in doubt,
Run in circles,
 scream and shout!
Pages: [1] 2 3