Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Necromancers actually bringing someone BACK from the dead.  (Read 8223 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers actually bringing someone BACK from the dead.
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 06:23:07 pm »

Oh. Well yeah. Im mostly conserned that having a necromancer doesnt bring enough danger and difficulty to your fort.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 06:50:04 pm »

I dont think they should be able to resurrect people but it would make some good fluff as to some necromancers background/gaining of power.

Something like: Urist McLovestuck tampered with the dark arts to bring back his fallen consort from the afterlife, Urist McDead. He stole The Dead of Raising, an iron tablet of the secrets of death. Urist McLovestruck went mad after turing the body of Urist McDead into a shambling abomination. Dark cave, zombie minions ect.

It would be nice if all these new villians had some background. Even if it is a footnote, rather than "Got god powers, make tower, send zombies"
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 07:18:29 pm »

Oh. Well yeah. Im mostly conserned that having a necromancer doesnt bring enough danger and difficulty to your fort.

Well I never said there wouldn't still be enemy necromancers as well. You can't tell me two necromancers having a zombie fight, constantly reanimating their fallen warriors, wouldn't be badass.
Or, have fort necromancers make macabre demands in exchange for their services(bones, bodies, blood, ect.), and if they're not met they'll throw a tantrum and sic their undead horde on you.

There are more than enough ways to make your friendly neighborhood necromancer a threat to your fort's well being.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 07:16:03 am »

No. There is no way I can tell you that two necromancers fighting with each other and reanimating their limbs and zombies wouldnt be cool. But I can tell you that having too much of this will spoil the mood. Thats the problem with modern fantasy. Magic is accesible to everybody in modern fanstasy and they can just go "Fap fap! FIREBALL" or like "MAGIC BOOTS! MINE!" or something. I REALLY dont want to see this in DF. yeah. Hope I said that right.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 11:19:59 am »

No. There is no way I can tell you that two necromancers fighting with each other and reanimating their limbs and zombies wouldnt be cool. But I can tell you that having too much of this will spoil the mood. Thats the problem with modern fantasy. Magic is accesible to everybody in modern fanstasy and they can just go "Fap fap! FIREBALL" or like "MAGIC BOOTS! MINE!" or something. I REALLY dont want to see this in DF. yeah. Hope I said that right.

Yes.  I think one of the best things about DF is there is a lack of magic, just magical creatures.

Mages should be FEW and FAR between.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 12:49:24 pm »

Yes.  I think one of the best things about DF is there is a lack of magic, just magical creatures.

Mages should be FEW and FAR between.
Totally. And they should have a MAJOR influence.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 04:31:23 pm »

There's a lack of magic because there isn't any magical system.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 05:35:15 pm »

It'd be cool if necromancers lived forever by transfering their soul into a new body.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 05:59:42 pm »

What I want to see is being able to have friendly necromancers within my fort, who can interact with the ghosts wandering around my fort. Maybe be able to stick them into a new body, or help them over to the other side, or simply keep them peaceful while I build more sarcophagi.

Actually, what would be really cool is having a necromancer be a type of noble who is able to give you a level of control over your ghostly inhabitants, depending on his necromancy level. If he's good at it, he should be able to convince the ghosts to do just about anything, if he's pretty bad at it, there's a chance he will only make them angrier.

Better. Have a Necromancer noble that gets rid or pacifies violent ghosts. And occasionally resurrects berserk zombie dorfs. Which attack all dwarves but it.

ALL.

I still want Dorf Berserker corps.

Only this time, they'll put the corps.  8) in corpse.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 07:30:27 pm »

First we need to define "necromancer." As I see it, necromancers just live forever and animate dead stuff. They should be able to make zombie/flesh golem type monsters by stitching body parts together, and to raise dead rats and whatnot (remains) as pets, but that's about the limit of their power. Then there would be...uh...(locates online English-to-Greek translator)...uh...that doesn't use an Anglicized version of the letters like I thought it would...I give up, a [spirit]mancer could control and maybe create ghosts and other spirits, and priests could banish spirits of most (if not all) kinds, but not summon them, and maybe raise dwarves from the dead for real. Spirits might posess a dead body and give it a semblance of life, but if dwarves or other races could direct them to do so is an undecided matter.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 07:33:56 pm »

Necromancers are the ones who can conjure up dead spirits.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 07:35:49 pm »

As long as I can cage necromancers and release them in my graveyards, creating a legion of berserker zombie dwarves, I will be happy.

Also, drunken Dorf priests are a terrible great idea.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 08:14:09 pm »

First we need to define "necromancer." As I see it, necromancers just live forever and animate dead stuff. They should be able to make zombie/flesh golem type monsters by stitching body parts together, and to raise dead rats and whatnot (remains) as pets, but that's about the limit of their power. Then there would be...uh...(locates online English-to-Greek translator)...uh...that doesn't use an Anglicized version of the letters like I thought it would...I give up, a [spirit]mancer could control and maybe create ghosts and other spirits, and priests could banish spirits of most (if not all) kinds, but not summon them, and maybe raise dwarves from the dead for real. Spirits might posess a dead body and give it a semblance of life, but if dwarves or other races could direct them to do so is an undecided matter.

Traditionally, I believe a necromancer's thing was just being able to converse with the dead.

We should save the monster making for mad scientists.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 08:19:07 pm »

Wasn't there a sin-eater or spirit-eater type person in Celtic mythology that would take on the sins of dying person so they could enter the afterlife?

I sorta remember some thing about how they were meant to be both feared and hated by the community but were tolerated due to the service they preformed. Sounds like something that would be perfect as a migrant to a major fortress.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_eater, apparently they weren't as common as I had thought.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 06:37:49 am »

Youguysshouldreadup onnecromancy on wikipedia. They dont make zombies. Stop playing Worldcrap.  ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3